PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Tesla Roadster

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dmb5450
11-17-2017, 08:37 PM
https://www.tesla.com/roadster/

This looks like a sweet ride. I love gas engines, but I may be sold on a 1.9 second 0-60 time and a top speed of 250+ all while getting over 600 miles per charge! I would miss a nice engine and exhaust sound for sure though.

I am in love with my F-Type, and told my wife 5 years down the road if I wanted a newer car I would buy a newer mode year F-Type in a heart beat. When Jaguar Land Rover announced all its cars would be electric by 2020 I rethought my statement. I don’t think an F-Type would have such an appeal to me without any engine or exhaust sounds.

So the question is, who is ready for the electric car take over? What will you miss about gas engines, or won’t you miss anything? Can electric sports cars replace gas sports cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Belair
11-17-2017, 08:48 PM
You'd be the first kid on your block with that Tesla. Maybe the first one in beautiful downtown Allentown.

Klasse Act
11-17-2017, 08:50 PM
I will not miss them because I will always have one[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dmb5450
11-17-2017, 08:58 PM
You'd be the first kid on your block with that Tesla. Maybe the first one in beautiful downtown Allentown.

Haha no such thing as beautiful downtown Allentown. I don’t think I’ll ever own one, especially at that price maybe if it was 4 times cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Dmb5450
11-17-2017, 08:59 PM
I will not miss them because I will always have one[emoji848]

Klasse, do you think gas cars will be produced for the foreseeable future? I have often wondered when gas cars will be the floppy disk of the future.

Klasse Act
11-17-2017, 09:06 PM
There's so much oil in the ground...no problem! I'll tell you THIS, sun rays and solar panel powered airplanes...well I'll say this....YOU FIRST[emoji6]

Dmb5450
11-17-2017, 09:13 PM
There's so much oil in the ground...no problem! I'll tell you THIS, sun rays and solar panel powered airplanes...well I'll say this....YOU FIRST[emoji6]

For the foreseeable future my gas guzzling, exhaust cracking and popping car isn’t going anywhere. I have heard Tesla’s are a blast to drive, but haven’t gotten the privilege to do so yet.

FUNX650
11-17-2017, 10:21 PM
•IMO:

-It will probably be quite a spell before the
power grids could ever handle all transpor-
tation being done by electric vehicles.

With that in mind: the petroleum infra-
structure is just too great (at this point
in time) to even think that ICE will/should
just magically disappear.

-OK: perhaps we are on the verge of a
veritable game changer. (But let’s keep the
government subsidies—my tax monies—out
of it)

Instead, I say:
Let the people decide; and the market
will play out accordingly.

Until then:
why can't ICE and electric vehicles share
the roads?

Shoot, as far as that goes:
even then...why would ICE have to die?

Bob

MattPersman
11-17-2017, 10:23 PM
Very difficult to make electric only cars in the US. It’s sooo spread out. Yes i see the 600 miles per charge statement but that hasn’t happened yet and at what cost. 300 miles isn’t long enough range for that family wanting to drive from the Midwest to Florida. Surely an all electric minivan would have to have quite a battery capacity to haul 7-8 at 80 mph.

Lobbyists have big oil agendas and they control much of what happens too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill1234
11-17-2017, 10:47 PM
I think its doable down the road but 1.9 sec 0-60 is hard as is the 600 mi range. Personally. I dont care how you get the power as long as its reliable. I also think noises could be pipped into the cabin or exhaust if actually wanted maybe it could be like a selling feature of you choose your engine configuration sound

Dmb5450
11-17-2017, 11:45 PM
•IMO:

-It will probably be quite a spell before the
power grids could ever handle all transpor-
tation being done by electric vehicles.

With that in mind: the petroleum infra-
structure is just too great (at this point
in time) to even think that ICE will/should
just magically disappear.

-OK: perhaps we are on the verge of a
veritable game changer. (But let’s keep the
government subsidies—my tax monies—out
of it)

Instead, I say:
Let the people decide; and the market
will play out accordingly.

Until then:
why can't ICE and electric vehicles share
the roads?

Shoot, as far as that goes:
even then...why would ICE have to die?

Bob

Well said Bob, I get upset when I see auto makers telling consumers they will be all electric by X date. They are making the decision for us. I assume they did some research as to how consumers will respond to all electric lineups. If this info wasn’t well received, I think the automaker would fear some heavy losses and stick with gas. I like the idea of electric vehicles, especially the self driving electric semi truck Tesla is talking up. If their truck can really save 200k over two years on fuel maybe Joe consumer will see some cheaper products and free shipping at Autogeek!

LEDetailing
11-18-2017, 02:10 AM
One number: 10,000 Nm

7,376 lb/ft of torque!

Klasse Act
11-18-2017, 06:46 AM
Well said Bob, I get upset when I see auto makers telling consumers they will be all electric by X date. They are making the decision for us. I assume they did some research as to how consumers will respond to all electric lineups. If this info wasn’t well received, I think the automaker would fear some heavy losses and stick with gas. I like the idea of electric vehicles, especially the self driving electric semi truck Tesla is talking up. If their truck can really save 200k over two years on fuel maybe Joe consumer will see some cheaper products and free shipping at Autogeek!Lots of "ifs" here with those trucks and as far as the savings go, how much does the truck cost? Do you REALLY think any savings will be passed on to us? How about infrastructure?

Lifetime brake pads? 1M miles no maintence....does it float over Midwest roads? I could go on but....

Dmb5450
11-18-2017, 08:01 AM
I hear what your saying, I don’t recall seeing a price of the semi truck, I think it was 80k towing capacity and 500 mile range maybe? I know there are a lot of issues and hurdles to overcome, but it’s interesting to see how Tesla attempts this. I’m all for innovation and appreciate the claims that many people say aren’t possible. I believe if you set a goal and strive for the perceived unattainable, even if you get close it’s still better than most.

And about the savings to the consumer, that was wishful thinking. But I would love if companies had self driving delivery trucks making nonstop deliveries, shippings times would be lowered at least I would imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

TTQ B4U
11-18-2017, 09:35 AM
This particular car is cool outside the wiper. However, it appears to be a 200 unit or less production prop to continue the flow of investor money.

I'm seriously looking at picking up a new car to replace my S4 and I swore it would be my last gas powered vehicle, but the new model 3 interior has shut down that option for me completely. I'm still waffling on a model S but I a pretty set on AWD and that limits me in terms of vehicle as I'm not seeing any value in one that is priced at $80-140k for a used P85+/D up through a P100D. Cool cars, would love one but out of my price range in terms of what I am looking for in a car.

I think Tesla is a great company and move for the market but pricing is still far out of whack for me.