PDA

View Full Version : Waxing spray-painted wheels..

mjfx
01-20-2008, 08:11 PM
I recently painted my wheels with Duplicolor wheel paint. I took my time and they came out nice but now I want to protect them. Which products would bond to the spray-paint and withstand the harsh conditions.

Jimmie
01-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Most guys are using a sealant or one of the wheel protection products DP; PB; or Wheel Wax. Is there a recommended waiting period to cure?

Surfer
01-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Doesn't Duplicolor or one of the other companies also make a spray on clear coat? You may want to try that 1st to protect the paint as well.

Reddwarf
01-20-2008, 10:23 PM
I use Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant and find it to be great! It really helps to keep the wheels clean. They can still get brake dust but it washes off easily with soap and water. I use far less wheel cleaner since using the PB Wheel Sealant.

mjfx
01-21-2008, 02:00 AM
I dont have wheel sealent but I will use some SG. I threw on some QD there today and it seemed to help.

They do make a clear, I heard it flattens the wheel color. I did this project twice and I never needed a clear. Just these wheels seem to get dirty more

TjMonsen5
01-21-2008, 02:16 AM
nice LTWs! your sig is sexy.

I use Klasse AIO and SG on my wheels, really makes them sparkle and keeps them clean. Also no need for wheel cleaner, just soapy water.

scrape
01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Get a high gloss clear from a paint shop in spray can form, im sure theyll have it. I just did a set of winter wheels for an 07 STI used flat black paint and a matte clear coat, but when i picked up the paint there were plenty of options to choose from. Go for the clear, you're better off.

blk45
01-21-2008, 04:25 PM
They do make a clear, I heard it flattens the wheel color.

That is the exact opposite of what the clear should do.

ScottB
01-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I personally would use only a pure wax or pure sealant. Nothing with harsh cleaners unless really needed. Clear is just another level of paint, although transparent.