PDA

View Full Version : How to dry artic white microfiber towels

Pages : [1] 2 3

waterman
11-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Hello,

I use the the artic white microfiber towels. Some of the other towels I use say to air dry. Should I do the same with these towels? I have been drying with regular heat.

Thanks

ChrisT
11-07-2017, 10:46 AM
I have in the neighborhood of 200 mf towels, from Griot’s PFM on down. I clean everyone the same and dry them all on medium heat without a dryer sheet. They all come out feeling like new.

fightnews
11-07-2017, 04:17 PM
I dry mine on extra low. Certain plush towels seem to fray a little when dried so I keep it low as possible and try not to use to hot water to wash. They say nothing over 140 but I think its more like 115-120 max.

BadgerRivFan
11-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Dry your microfiber towels on low heat. They are made from polyester and polyamide and will melt at high temperatures. If you want them to last, wash them separately (only with other microfiber) and dry on low heat.

Klasse Act
11-07-2017, 05:44 PM
I have in the neighborhood of 200 mf towels, from Griot’s PFM on down. I clean everyone the same and dry them all on medium heat without a dryer sheet. They all come out feeling like new.

WOW!!!...........200 MF towels!

ChrisT
11-07-2017, 06:26 PM
WOW!!!...........200 MF towels!

Yeah, perhaps it’s a bit excessive. ;)

My dedicated detailing shelves look like a small retail store. Lol

FUNX650
11-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Since I consider the Arctic White MF-Towels
to be great tools...I show them the proper
respect and dry them in what I consider to
be another great tool—one, that, just so
happens to also be: as white as the Artic.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2B844C06-4592-4124-8C32-415F6BB4A5B4.jpeg

Bob

fly07sti
11-07-2017, 07:09 PM
I have a tote with about 80 arctics in one of these. I dry mine (all MF's on low heat with a spiked dryer ball) My stash has held up well.

Rsurfer
11-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Dry your microfiber towels on low heat. They are made from polyester and polyamide and will melt at high temperatures. If you want them to last, wash them separately (only with other microfiber) and dry on low heat.

Give me a break..mf towels will melt in a dryer on high. Your using a dryer which is regulated and not a oven on high.

jmeyers278
11-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Shots fired

fightnews
11-08-2017, 03:43 AM
Give me a break..mf towels will melt in a dryer on high. Your using a dryer which is regulated and not a oven on high.

He's not saying they will melt into nothing but the heat from a dryer on high will damage the fibers that is a fact. They will get less soft, you use low or extra low heat they will stay soft like new. Yes I have done both and there's a big difference. Especially with plush towels if you have a gas dryer.

Eldorado2k
11-08-2017, 05:41 AM
I'm going to do an experiment soon to find out for myself if there's a noticeable difference between drying a microfiber towel in low heat vs. high heat.

As far as water temperature, I always wash them on hot water setting and that part at least hasn't hurt them 1 bit.

I forgot where exactly I heard it, but I recall listening to a very knowledgeable guy break down how the polyester/polyamide in a microfiber towel in its finished form is not susceptible to "melting" for at least another 400 degrees above what we've somehow concluded between ourselves in the detailing community. He pretty much called us idiots for believing such nonsense.

Does anyone know who that was or what podcast/interview that was from? I know I can't be the only 1 who remembers listening to that...

What I do remember for sure is that he sure sounded liken he knew exactly what he was talking about and 1 of the several examples he gave was the fact that microfiber towels don't suddenly melt before our eyes when we use them with professional grade steam cleaners which reach extreme temperatures. The microfiber towels survive just fine!

ChrisT
11-08-2017, 07:46 AM
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/76621-microfiber-care-guide-liquid-finish-how-clean-your-car-microfibers.html

Rsurfer
11-08-2017, 03:21 PM
He's not saying they will melt into nothing but the heat from a dryer on high will damage the fibers that is a fact. They will get less soft, you use low or extra low heat they will stay soft like new. Yes I have done both and there's a big difference. Especially with plush towels if you have a gas dryer.

I don't have a gas dryer and dry on auto heat and never noticed a difference between auto heat and low heat.

DetailKitty
11-08-2017, 03:49 PM
I use low heat and no dryer sheets.