PDA

View Full Version : Car was keyed, Can a detailer fix or improve the damage?

denny33142
11-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Someone decided to key my car and caused a large scratch that travels about half the length of the driver door, They also scratched the bumper although that one does not seem as bad as the door scratch.

You can feel the scratch with your nail but i am not sure if it completely went through the clear coat, I went to a body shop and they said i would need to get the door repainted and quoted me $850 which needless to say is beyond what i can spend at the moment, I am wondering if a detailer can repair it or at least fix it up enough where i can live with it.

I tried some polishing compound on the bumper scratch and it improved it but did nothing for the door scratch.

My question is if it's possible for a detailer to remove or at least improve it to the point where it's less visible, Like i said i can feel the scratch with my fingernail but my nail can't "grab" unto the scratch (If that makes sense). I just want to make sure i go through all of my options before i put down $800+ to have the door repainted.

Car is a 2017 Camaro SS.

The last 2 pictures are of the scratch when the car is wet.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-06-2017, 03:35 PM
Yikes! So sorry to hear this... I have a hard time trying to understand those that don't have "mindfulness" and do destructive things on impulse.
Few questions, did this happen at work, public place or at your home? My reason for asking is most public places or work now have cameras, and if you can identify the perps, that may help reclaim some money, if nothing else send someone to court (possibly jail).

Looking at the pic of the door, I'd say it's pretty deep... I can almost see primer. Since it's already pretty damaged, and you've got nothing to lose, I would try doing a "scuff & buff" spraying the area and doing some light wet sanding with 3000, then go over the spot with a DA and Megs 105, finish off M205. Keep in mind "scuff and buff" is just some light pressure, not the type of pressure you'd use wet sanding.

The alternative is there are some good videos on You Tube, look up AMMO NYC, where he goes through fixing a very long key scratch on a black G-Wagon (or it could be a Land Rover..., I forget). The thing is, after watching his process, the cost difference (if hiring someone with Larry's skills) to do it, v.s. a proper repair at a body shop is going to be negotiable. Plus, Larry states in his video that it's not supposed to be perfect, the owner just wanted curb appeal at 3 feet away.

I had a pretty bad scratch on my 08 Malibu. A mechanic working on the sunroof, leaned (belly side up) into the passenger side door. He was wearing a belt buckle. The scratch was DEEP! I did the same, scuff-n-buff followed by 105/205 and I got it out. Of course that section probably had about 3 mil of paint left...LOL.

I guess that's the best advice one could give. It's already damaged pretty good... Filling & leveling as mentioned (Larry's vid) is an option, but in all honestly, I think he did a good job, but even in the video I could still see the scratch.

Kamakaz1961
11-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Based on these pictures; IMO This is fixable. You can Wet Sand or if you have patience compound it. I would Wet sand it and then Compound and Polish. My friend had an Infiniti QX60 with similar scratches and with some TLC with wet sanding and compounding I was able to remove the key scratches. The sad thing is I no longer have the pics to show. However, I used 1500 Grit and then 2500 Grit wet sand paper. I know this was very fine sand paper and I could have 1000 to 1500 but I went conservative. I would give that a go and maybe pick up some points with any how to videos from Mike Phillips.

Android
11-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Iv'e seen the video from AMMO NYC that was mentioned above and it did look much better and most people would never notice but unfortunately you could still see it after all of his work . You will probably always see it but from 3-5 ft. away from anyone else won't notice it .
I's for sure check out the video and others to see if it is something you can do on your own . You have to wonder why people feel the need to do stuff like that . Crazy !
Iv'e always told people you can mess with me but don't touch my car . I had all of the emblems taken off my car once and it was enough to ruin my day .

VISITOR
11-06-2017, 06:00 PM
Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure by Richy (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/43535-key-repair-step-step-procedure.html)

LSNAutoDetailing
11-06-2017, 10:37 PM
Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure by Richy (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/43535-key-repair-step-step-procedure.html)

Too bad Richy's post lost all the pics. Good info none the less...

denny33142
11-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Alright guys i followed some of the suggestions here and bought some supplies to attempt a repair myself, As "LSNAutoDetailing" said I have nothing to loose and if i make it worse i would need to get that area repainted anyway.

I started by spraying the area with some soapy water and proceeded to wet sand with 2000 Grit, I kept the area and the Grit lubricated with the soapy water while sanding, I then moved to 3000 Grit and starting sanding for about the same amount of time, By the time i was done i had that horrible looking opaque haze on the sanded area. I proceeded by applying Meguiars Ultimate Compound to a cheap electric polisher i bought from Walmart, I applied it for about 30 seconds and still had that haze so i kept applying for about 30 seconds more, At this point most of the haze was gone except for a part at the top end of the scratch, I was starting to get worried that perhaps i over did it with the sanding and removed too much clear coat, I went ahead and changed products to Meguiars Scratch X and applied it to the area that still had that haze, It seems to have taken out all of it as far as i could tell.

I will post pictures tomorrow since it had turned dark by the time i was done (Took me about 2 hours), Once the sun is out i will have a clearer picture of the damaged area.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-06-2017, 11:59 PM
What about the scratch??? Please do submit pictures.

Yikes, talk about diving in with both feet. While it is true that the damage had already been done by a very mean person, I think our recommendations were given under the guise that you'd do a little more homework on pads, polishers, products tips, techniques, such as using the least aggressive methods first. Certainly didn't expect you to run out tonight. However, products and techniques make a huge difference.

I probably would have started here:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-2016-how-articles-mike-phillips/25915-dampsanding-tools-tips-techniques-mike-phillips.html

Then moved on to:
https://www.autogeek.net/how-to-remove-scratches.html

Then onto here:
https://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html

Then I would have ordered some quality products from Autogeek... Such as GG6 or PC7424xp and quality pads and product.

With that said, I hope you got the scratch out and I hope you didn't go too far into the clear. That Haze is scuffed clear-coat. If it doesn't come out with a quality compound or finishing polish, it means you burned the clear.

There are a lot of high-quality pads and polishes that will remove 1500 - 3000 grit sanding marring, few come to mind:
3D 501 / 502 ---> Probably would have been my go to here...
Megs 105 / 205
Menz FG400 / 3500

I guess in the end you rung with what you brung... :)
Please post pics in the morning...

VISITOR
11-07-2017, 03:31 AM
before you go any further... buy some touch-up paint and maybe someone on here (list your city/state) with experience (and the tools) can try and help you out if possible...

btw, karma will find it's way back to the person who did this...

denny33142
11-07-2017, 09:43 AM
I know it seems like i rushed into it but i had already taken the car to 3 body shops who all told me that there was no way the scratch could be removed or improved since it was too deep, They all said i would need to get the door repainted. As you can see from the picture on the original post the scratch is very noticeable from any angle and from very far away, I figured i had nothing to loose in trying to repair it myself since the cost of repaint would be the same price even if i messed it up even more.

Unfortunately i couldn't find Megs 105 / 205 in the Store (Tried a Walmart and Advanced Auto Parts) The closest thing i could find was Megs Ultimate Compound and Megs Scratch X, Also i did try these products first before going into the wet sanding but the polisher alone had no effect on the scratch.

Anyway i looked at the car this morning and it looks like the scratch has been significantly reduced, There are parts of it that have completely disappeared and only the right side of the scratch which is the deepest is noticeable, I actually cant feel the scratch anymore.

There is a section on the left top end of the scratch that is slightly smudged (Like swirl marks), I don't know if that area needs a bit more polishing but then again i don't want to risk continuing to polish that area.

Here are the pics, Sorry about the poor lighting the car is in a garage and the reflection of a truck on the parking lot kept reflecting on the paint, Also i circled the smudge on the paint i would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for that.

denny33142
11-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Just a final update.

I was able to look at the car in the sunlight for the first time (been working overtime at work), I am definitely happy with the results, Its still there but you cant notice it from most angles anymore (Only from head on), Definitely happy i didn't have to spend $800 to get area repainted.

Also did a full detail on the car this morning, Used Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax to finish it off.

richy
11-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Just a final update.

I was able to look at the car in the sunlight for the first time (been working overtime at work), I am definitely happy with the results, Its still there but you cant notice it from most angles anymore (Only from head on), Definitely happy i didn't have to spend $800 to get area repainted.

Also did a full detail on the car this morning, Used Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax to finish it off.

Glad it worked for you. IMHO the last thing you want to do is disturb the factory paint finish by repainting panels. It will never look as good, regardless of how shoots it or how good they claim to be. It won't look the same. You had nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying to fix it on your own or with the assistance of someone skilled in doing it. I had a fellow (AG member actually) that drove 5 hours from Chicago to see me in Ontario to repair a key scratch that some jackass had done down the entire side of his Q7. No detailer in the Chicago area at the time was interested in trying to fix it.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Nice!!! Glad you took care of it!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips
11-20-2017, 11:47 AM
I know it seems like i rushed into it but i had already taken the car to 3 body shops who all told me that there was no way the scratch could be removed or improved since it was too deep, They all said i would need to get the door repainted.

As you can see from the picture on the original post the scratch is very noticeable from any angle and from very far away, I figured i had nothing to loose in trying to repair it myself since the cost of repaint would be the same price even if i messed it up even more.

Unfortunately i couldn't find Megs 105 / 205 in the Store (Tried a Walmart and Advanced Auto Parts) The closest thing i could find was Megs Ultimate Compound and Megs Scratch X, Also i did try these products first before going into the wet sanding but the polisher alone had no effect on the scratch.

Anyway i looked at the car this morning and it looks like the scratch has been significantly reduced, There are parts of it that have completely disappeared and only the right side of the scratch which is the deepest is noticeable, I actually cant feel the scratch anymore.

There is a section on the left top end of the scratch that is slightly smudged (Like swirl marks), I don't know if that area needs a bit more polishing but then again i don't want to risk continuing to polish that area.

Just a final update.

Sorry I missed this thread, I was travelling back from Colorado after attending the grand opening of the RUPES BigFoot Training Academy the day before...

I'm seriously impressed with all the top notch help you received from our forum members, that's what this forum is known for...

:)