PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Stuff You’ve Seen

Pages : [1] 2

jeffindetail
11-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Working at a dealership, I’ve seen lots of head scratchers, but I think you’d like hearing this one. One night we were close to wrapping up and a young salesman pulled up to clean his new lease. My attention was elsewhere as he was asking for help, so he decided to help himself. When I was able to turn my attention to him, I found that he had unwrapped and started washing his car with a brand new wool buffing pad like it was a wash mitt.

Anyone have any out there detail stories to share?

VISITOR
11-04-2017, 07:03 PM
not really a detail story, but the other day at the grocery store gas station i saw a lady wiping down the window and paint with paper towels and glass cleaner...

jeffindetail
11-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Just love seeing a towel being used on all surfaces. My favorite is going from the rims to the paint.

PaulMys
11-04-2017, 08:07 PM
My co-worker wiping off a huge bird bomb on the hood of his BMW with one of those hard public bathroom dispenser towels and spit.

Yes, he spit on the towel and scrubbed it off.

LEDetailing
11-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Back in the 90’s we were out west near Yellowstone. We pulled into a self service car wash and watched a woman start scrubbing her dry, dirty paint with the foaming brush. At least the brush was dispensing those foaming suds:)

FUNX650
11-04-2017, 09:15 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/1FF6FF96-15FC-47AC-94F1-37B8AF23C08D.jpeg

Bob

osiapstndp
11-04-2017, 09:31 PM
My co-worker wiping off a huge bird bomb on the hood of his BMW with one of those hard public bathroom dispenser towels and spit.

Yes, he spit on the towel and scrubbed it off.
Talk about thrifty! :)

B5visser
11-04-2017, 09:40 PM
I still shake my head when I drive by the local drive-through swirl inducer and see a black BMW with the owner drying it off with a series of microfiber towels.

If they only knew what just happened! AGGH!

Many years ago in production dealership detailing a coworker removed a competing dealership's sticker with mineral spirits and a scotchbrite pad....

Hammer77
11-05-2017, 02:56 AM
I have seen the gas station wash down a lot. it seems pretty popular in my area. Awhile back I seen a lady use the foam side of the squeegee all over, she even hit the front wheels then straight to the hood.

But if I had to say, this takes the prize. It was about 2001 I was living in Oklahoma and working at a detail shop, the owner hired a young man still in school. He would come in after school, clean up, wash towels, we were also teaching him the basics. He really was excited about learning.

One day I was working on a interior and he comes in for his shift, comes to me and ask me to look at something that he needed help with. As we were walking to the back lot he tells me "I wanted to clean up my girlfriends Neon for her, and there were bugs I had a hard time getting off. I think I messed it up." I am thinking probably a little machine time will straighten out. On the very front of the hood there were 2 3 inch white/gray spots. I said, "What the hell did you do?" His reply, "They were pretty tough, I used a Brillo pad!"

jeffindetail
11-05-2017, 07:29 AM
My dad did that once! He was wrapped up in the PT Cruiser craze and used a dish sponge for his bugs. When he told me, I asked him green or yellow side, but we all know what side he used.

jeffindetail
11-05-2017, 07:32 AM
We use spirits to remove the adhesive from old dealership decals, but the scotchbrite pad is a new one to me. We ease the stickers off with composite plastic blades and follow with spirits.

grisby
11-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Once at a gas station I seen a guy wiping down his Mercedes S class using the window squeegee, he did his whole car!!

RippyD
11-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Maybe he was trying to compound it using all the dirt in that sponge as an abrasive.

JDGolden
11-05-2017, 10:46 AM
I've seen the ol gas station scrub down as well. I swear people only see dirt and the color of the paint....nothing else. It's like they don't even see swirl marks. Or if they do, they think it's a sign that it's been "detailed".

There used to be a guy about a mile from me that would apply wax to his black car (Chrysler of some sort, 2000-ish model) and drive around for a day or two before removing the wax. I can't tell you how many times I saw him driving around with thick, caked on turtle wax.

WillSports3
11-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Why.. why is he doing that? I don't understand.

I've seen the ol gas station scrub down as well. I swear people only see dirt and the color of the paint....nothing else. It's like they don't even see swirl marks. Or if they do, they think it's a sign that it's been "detailed".

There used to be a guy about a mile from me that would apply wax to his black car (Chrysler of some sort, 2000-ish model) and drive around for a day or two before removing the wax. I can't tell you how many times I saw him driving around with thick, caked on turtle wax.