PDA

View Full Version : Is plain old dust harmful to the paint?

Addicted2ONR
11-04-2017, 04:13 PM
My car typically sits a lot so it doesn't often get dirty dirty, but it does collect a lot of dust. Being a black car, that dust is immediately visible too :(

As long as I use good wash practices (never touch the paint with anything but water, soap, optimum no rinse and good microfibers), how long can I generally let the dust sit before it becomes stubborn or abrasive to remove? It's parked an enclosed structure, cool environment, out of the sun.

LEDetailing
11-04-2017, 04:29 PM
I think this all depends on the type of dust and a whole slew of environmental factors. Household type dust could probably be left on for years without any noticeable damage. Example you parked your car in the living room:)

A garage that is not climate controlled will have: Pollen, environmental fallout, moisture, and insects etc., that will land on your car. This “dust” will create a microscopic layer of contamination on your paint. Leave it sit for a few months and I’m guessing you will cause some very microscopic damage to the clear. A few weeks probably will not cause any noticeable damage. Just keep a good layer of LSP on your car and don’t worry about it.

Eldorado2k
11-04-2017, 04:35 PM
As long as your car has a good coat of protection [wax, sealant, coating, etc] then the dirt shouldn't become too stubborn. As far as it becoming abrasive, you should be able to avoid that situation by pre rinsing with a hose to knock off the topical dirt prior to rinseless washing it.

...But something tells me this is an older car that you prefer not to get wet with the hose? If that's the case, you might want to look into the California Duster as long as you follow the proper advice on how to use it. Don't expect it to completely clean your car, but I believe it could help as a pre step before rinseless washing it.

Addicted2ONR
11-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Well, it has two recent coats of Opti-Seal on it and I washed it a week and a half ago. So I'm interpreting that as good :)

Eldorado2k
11-04-2017, 04:42 PM
What kind of car is it?

Addicted2ONR
11-04-2017, 04:45 PM
'04 Infiniti G35

Eldorado2k
11-04-2017, 04:49 PM
'04 Infiniti G35

Ok, so just rinse the car off with the hose prior to rinseless or waterless washing it and you'll greatly reduce the chance of instilling micro swirls onto the paint.

...Or you could go the route of the California Duster as a pre step. The Junkman talks about this in 1 of his old vids.. Here it is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE

That's part 3.^ He actually begins talking about it near the end of this video [part 2] @7:20

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oqdjRwsXoOM

Addicted2ONR
11-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Ok, so just rinse the car off with the hose prior to rinseless or waterless washing it and you'll greatly reduce the chance of instilling micro swirls onto the paint.

Yup, that's exactly what I do.

...Or you could go the route of the California Duster as a pre step. The Junkman talks about this in 1 of his old vids.. Here it is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE

That's part 3.^ He actually begins talking about it near the end of this video [part 2] @7:20

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oqdjRwsXoOM
Ehhh, I'm pretty leary about touching dusty paint with anything that's dry.

Eldorado2k
11-04-2017, 05:14 PM
Yup, that's exactly what I do.

Ehhh, I'm pretty leary about touching dusty paint with anything that's dry.

There's a proper place and time to use those things.. I've personally never used 1 because none of my cars are garage kept, but if it's indoors and you're talking about actual dust, then it may be an option as long as you use it correctly.

I've known, talked to, and watched too many people who use them with success to not believe they can be effective when used properly. Convincing people is pretty similar to believing in rinseless/waterless washing. I'm sure there was that initial thought we all had about it being insane. Lol.

Rsurfer
11-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Dust on your paint only gets harmful when you wipe it.

2black1s
11-04-2017, 07:15 PM
All of my current vehicles, a truck and two bikes, are black and I always use my California Duster prior to any quick detailer, waterless wash, or similar products/processes. Been doing it that way successfully for years.

I think it was around the mid-1980s when I bought my first California Car Duster and have been using them ever since.

Ronin47
11-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Dust sitting on paint doesn’t do any damage, incorrect removal of dust is what causes damage. Removing of dirt without a blower or water will result in damage even if your eye doesn’t pick it up.

RippyD
11-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Convincing people is pretty similar to believing in rinseless/waterless washing. I'm sure there was that initial thought we all had about it being insane. Lol.
I'm right there. I know nothing about it but assume it must be harmful. Will do some reading. Guessing it's an electrostatic duster?