PDA

View Full Version : Using a Clay Bar On Paint Coatings?

Pages : [1] 2 3

STI4Life06
10-31-2017, 02:34 PM
So this year I have been applying GTechniq CSL and EXO V3 to most of my customers cars. I have been super happy with the product and the feedback from my customers has been very positive. I had a few customers ask me if it is safe to use a mild clay bar or a fine NanoSkin clay pad as they have some contaminants on top of the coating. Does anyone know if this will shorten the life of the coating? My gut wants to say that it should be safe but I honestly do not know for sure and I don't see any posts regarding this.

I checked GTechniq's website but I don't see anything stating that you could or could not use a clay bar. I also sent the techs an email but have not heard from them after a few days.

RippyD
10-31-2017, 02:38 PM
I suspect it likely will shorten the life of the coating to some extent. In my area with ~180 days of rain it's also required to keep up the water repellence. I've clayed my car with Cquartz UK twice in a year. It's brings the hydrophobicity back.

zmcgovern45
10-31-2017, 02:46 PM
In theory, the act of claying a car is likely to create some sort of superficial marring as the particles being picked up by the clay bar are then rubbed against the surface of the vehicle. For this reason, many of us will only recommend mechanically decontaminating a vehicle if you intend to polish the surface afterwards. In the case of a coated vehicle, this is not recommended as polishing will certainly effect the coating and potentially remove it entirely.

For coated vehicles, the resistance to bonded contaminants is typically outstanding. In many cases, chemical decontamination is all that is needed to keep the surface clean and free of bonded particulates. Products like Iron X and Tar X, for instance, will remove bonded iron and tar from the vehicle without the need to rub the paint.

If claying is the only way, use a fine grade clay with ample lubrication.

STI4Life06
10-31-2017, 03:05 PM
In theory, the act of claying a car is likely to create some sort of superficial marring as the particles being picked up by the clay bar are then rubbed against the surface of the vehicle. For this reason, many of us will only recommend mechanically decontaminating a vehicle if you intend to polish the surface afterwards. In the case of a coated vehicle, this is not recommended as polishing will certainly effect the coating and potentially remove it entirely.

For coated vehicles, the resistance to bonded contaminants is typically outstanding. In many cases, chemical decontamination is all that is needed to keep the surface clean and free of bonded particulates. Products like Iron X and Tar X, for instance, will remove bonded iron and tar from the vehicle without the need to rub the paint.

If claying is the only way, use a fine grade clay with ample lubrication.

Excellent, That was going to be my next question if claying could possibly shorten the life of the coating. "Can I decontaminate using IronX" Guess the answer to that is yes. Thanks!

The Guz
10-31-2017, 03:22 PM
I just saw another manufacture come out with another non-abrasive clay bar intended for coatings. Can't say the name here but that seems like a good alternative as well.

A chemical decon does work.

zmcgovern45
10-31-2017, 03:22 PM
Excellent, That was going to be my next question if claying could possibly shorten the life of the coating. "Can I decontaminate using IronX" Guess the answer to that is yes. Thanks!

Absolutely... CarPro recommends the use of IronX for coating maintenance.

zmcgovern45
10-31-2017, 03:24 PM
I just saw another manufacture come out with another non-abrasive clay bar intended for coatings. Can't say the name here but that seems like a good alternative as well.

A chemical decon does work.

I had tested the 22ple clay (along with the other 2 products that were just announced) a couple of years ago. It was a nice product. Very soft and workable, but I still do not feel comfortable claying a car (especially a darker color that is already nearly perfect) if I am not going to be polishing it afterwards.

The Guz
10-31-2017, 03:37 PM
I had tested the 22ple clay (along with the other 2 products that were just announced) a couple of years ago. It was a nice product. Very soft and workable, but I still do not feel comfortable claying a car (especially a darker color that is already nearly perfect) if I am not going to be polishing it afterwards.

I was trying to avoid saying a name for a product not sold the AGO but you said it lol. Thanks for the feedback on this clay bar. It looks and sounds interesting.

Klasse Act
10-31-2017, 06:54 PM
FWIW I completely agree about chemical decon on a coated car, no doubt about it. Spray it on, let it dwell and rinse away....BAM! I think some people think that because its strong enough to remove the embedded contaminants and turn that red/purple color that its going to hurt the coating and I too used to be in this camp but not anymore!

Patman22
10-31-2017, 08:13 PM
What if one were to use a super fine clay mitt instead?

MattPersman
10-31-2017, 08:34 PM
Any mechanical rubbing against any LSP will not increase the level of coating or LSP there. Something along the lines of what Mike says. What’s the opposite of not increase?

So yes any running in theory could take away some or any LSP It’s abrasion even if at a very low level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zmcgovern45
10-31-2017, 09:24 PM
What if one were to use a super fine clay mitt instead?

I’ve personally found clay mitts / sponges / towels to be considerably more aggressive that traditional clay. I would not use one on a vehicle that will not be polished afterwards.

WillSports3
11-01-2017, 05:49 AM
I only use a claymitt if I'm going to polish afterwards since I don't care about any new marring. On my costed car, I've used mothers clay bars with a good lubricant, like mckees n913 rinse less wash and I've used car pro trix. I found the results to be exactly the same on my coated car.

Patman22
11-01-2017, 06:49 AM
I’ve personally found clay mitts / sponges / towels to be considerably more aggressive that traditional clay. I would not use one on a vehicle that will not be polished afterwards.

Even with the super fine mitt?

zmcgovern45
11-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Even with the super fine mitt?

I have used fine and medium mitts & towels... I honestly was not aware there was a "super fine" option. However, I have noticed marring with both the fine and medium mitts when vehicles are contaminated.... but as I mentioned above, on my personal coated vehicles, a chemical decon is almost always the only thing that is needed to remove bonded particles.