PDA

View Full Version : Do QD’s degrade sealants?

ChrisT
10-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Does frequent use of a quick detailer (I use a formulated mix of Ech20 & reload) degrade the coating of WG DGPS or Opti-Seal?

cleanmycorolla
10-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Its more probable that constantly QD'ing and rubbing actions with the towel, more specifically, have more harm than the actual QD.

ChrisT
10-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Well, I don’t use them constantly. Lol. About once a week.

Rsurfer
10-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Well, I don’t use them constantly. Lol. About once a week.

I use it everyday.

FUNX650
10-30-2017, 01:03 PM
A few things come to mind:

•Sealants (along with most other LSPs)
are considered to be sacrificial barriers,
that will—even when allowed to undergo
their designed total cure time—degrade,
over time, to a point where they are no
longer: ’doing the job’.

-“The Law of Entropy” ensures that
the above mentioned degradation will,
most definitely, occur.

•With that in mind:
-Can a QD (which also has the:
will degrade over time property)
act as, be considered as, a sacri-
ficial barrier to the underlying LSP?

If so:
Wouldn’t that mean that the Sealant’s
rate of: degrading-over-time has been
slowed down, at least to some extent?

[“And that’s a good thing”. ~ M. Stewart]

•Another aspect I consider:

-(As mentioned briefly above):
In order to achieve the state of being
at their most effectiveness...Sealants
need to undergo a period of cross-linking
and the completion of what is referred
to as their designed total-cure-time.

-Once a Sealant’s level of most effectiveness
has been reached, an application of a QD
(most usually a synthetic-based product)
should have little, to neglible, immediate
negative impact on the underlying Sealant;
or, even perhaps, its overall degrading-rate.

Bob

ChrisT
10-30-2017, 01:54 PM
•Another aspect I consider:

-(As mentioned briefly above):
In order to achieve the state of being
at their most effectiveness...Sealants
need to undergo a period of cross-linking
and the completion of what is referred
to as their designed total-cure-time.

-Once a Sealant’s level of most effectiveness
has been reached, an application of a QD
(most usually a synthetic-based product)
should have little, to neglible, immediate
negative impact on the underlying Sealant;
or, even perhaps, its overall degrading-rate.

Bob

I did carefully follow the manufacturer’s directions for curing time. That second part then is what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks, Bob.

WillSports3
10-30-2017, 07:18 PM
A qd should not affect your sealant as long as you're using quality products. That's the main thing. I think a lot of people who use sealants also use qd to boost the longevity of their sealants as well. If anything, any protective elements in a qd would not last as long on your sealant if your using a good sealant.

jmeyers278
10-30-2017, 09:35 PM
I use sealant friendly products as my qd. Ech2o mixed 20:1 and 3 oz of reload in a 32oz bottle. Makes a slick qd and adds some additional protection. As far as longevity, I have no idea. I have OCD and ADHD. I pretty much throw a sealant or wax or si02 topper on my vehicles ever other week cause I'm crazy.

Dr Oldz
10-30-2017, 09:39 PM
I always felt that QDs leave a tiny touch of some kind of protection behind. Is it more or less than what your remove from touching the paint is debatable. If you stay synergistic in your QD selection, I have personally found the underlying LSP to last longer.

JMak97008
10-30-2017, 09:49 PM
I've been wondering about this same issue. Waxed using Megs liquid UW, topped with Megs UFF and each week following a wash, I do a wipe with Megs Ultimate Quick Wax. I've noticed that the beading longevity of the UFF is not what I expected (though I now realize that I may have removed the UFF rather than ensured coverage with my 2nd wipe). Using Megs QD, though on another vehicle I didn't notice any reduction in UWs longevity.

RippyD
10-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Who else would mention entropy in an answer to a question about QD over a sealant? :props:

Eldorado2k
10-30-2017, 11:16 PM
IMO Carpro Ech2o mixed with Reload is in a whole different class than a typical "quik detailer" due to the kind of protection it leaves behind. I also believe that constantly using it over your base layer of sealant will eventually remove/transform your finish into solely an Ech2o/Reload finish.

Just my 2 cents.

ChrisT
10-31-2017, 01:25 AM
IMO Carpro Ech2o mixed with Reload is in a whole different class than a typical "quik detailer" due to the kind of protection it leaves behind. I also believe that constantly using it over your base layer of sealant will eventually remove/transform your finish into solely an Ech2o/Reload finish.

Just my 2 cents.

I call that mix a quick detailer only because that’s the formula that Sky’s The Limit gave me to formulate a quick detailer.

Rsurfer
10-31-2017, 06:54 PM
I call that mix a quick detailer only because that’s the formula that Sky’s The Limit gave me to formulate a quick detailer.

Unlike most qd, Ech2o with a shot of Reload will last longer than a few days.