PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar to remove water spots for opticoated car

detailnoob
10-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Sorry I know this topic has been discussed many many times, but existing threads never really provided me with a clear answer. I recently discovered a few water spots on my newly opti coated (2 weeks) car, the spots probably sat on the paint for a week or so. Using diluted to full strength white vinegar, I managed to remove 80% of each spots. Im sure the remaining white ring will require more abrasive measures such as polishing to remove. My question is, does vinegar damage the opti coat? And if it does, what product would you recommend?

Cruzscarwash
10-24-2017, 10:42 AM
It shouldn't is is supposed to be resistant to it, just make sure to wipe it off after with a qd or waterless wash.

There's dozens of waterspot remover products sold on AG from carpros to McKees, cg, poorboys, 3d etc

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

detailnoob
10-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Since Im new to the detailing game, therefore im still missing a qd. Will water be adequate for neutralising the vinegar? furthermore, if the remaining ring is etched on the surface, polishing or claybar would be the only way to smooth it out right ?

Cruzscarwash
10-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Yes water should be enough, go with the least aggressive form first and move up from there and you should be gtg

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

The Guz
10-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Get yourself some Optimum MDR. It works well with optimums coatings. If used soon enough it can remove the water spotting completely without damaging the coating.

detailnoob
10-24-2017, 11:04 AM
I'll just leave it for now since it's a white car and not worth all the trouble for 2 spots :p

Mike Phillips
10-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Get yourself some Optimum MDR. It works well with optimums coatings.

If used soon enough it can remove the water spotting completely without damaging the coating.

I'd go with the above recommendation - keep it in the family.

Optimum MDR - Mineral Deposit Remover 8 ounces (https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-mdr-water-spot-remover.html)

Also for reference on the topic of using vinegar

Using Vinegar to remove water spots (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/52347-using-vinegar-remove-water-spots.html)

:)

detailnoob
10-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Get yourself some Optimum MDR. It works well with optimums coatings. If used soon enough it can remove the water spotting completely without damaging the coating.

Im usually quite meticulous with my paint condition but recently the car has been sitting in the garage due to a fault. I believe the cause of the spots is from using tap water to spot clean without properly drying. Lesson learnt and I'll definitely use qd for quick clean in the future.