PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Coating Concern

Dandy98
10-22-2017, 08:35 PM
This has been a bit of a challenge for me on a 98 Corvette. Coating about 2 sq feet then waiting about 5 minutes before hand buffing. Six hours later when out of the Detail bay I have spots on horizontal surfaces. I cross cross when applying then wait about 5. It appears ok with a portable sun gun but once it hits sunlight there are long streaks. Then with a very soft mf towel I hand buff again. After a heavy push when buffing most of the streaks go away. Any suggestions are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sizzle Chest
10-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Those are high spots. They could be associated with utilizing too much product, or possibly not using enough towels during your buff/removal stage- I always use a minimum of two towels per panel. It is also very helpful, albeit time consuming, to take the vehicle outside in the sunlight and shade to look for these spots to make sure you have knocked them down. (if possible).

Hope this helps you Dandy.

DaveT435
10-22-2017, 09:10 PM
It would be best to recoat the areas that you buffed. When checking for high spots inside indirect or diffused light works better. In the future, if you plan on doing more coatings, if you can get someone to help you the total time should go down to about an hour once you get your timing dow. As Sizzle mentioned two towels for wiping. I actually have two different color residue removing towels.

What brand coating are we talking about

AutowerxDetailing
10-22-2017, 10:02 PM
It will be difficult to provide actionable feedback without knowing which product you are having challenges with.

MattPersman
10-23-2017, 05:24 AM
You could just be pushing the coating around. How do you know 5 mins is the correct timing?

What product and what temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUMP DIESEL
10-23-2017, 06:26 AM
I don't know of many coatings on the market that a 5 minute wait would not have you already curing with the highspots left behind. What coating are you using. That's where we need to start.

Secondly, what I have found that works really well, is the initial wipe off to be done with a low nap MF towel, then a final light wipe with one of a more fluffy higher pile nature.

HUMP

Klasse Act
10-23-2017, 06:56 AM
Do the directions say to wait 5 minutes? Which brand?

It may be possible that you used too much product but the good news is there's a couple ways to level it out, one is using the applicator with coating already on it and a simple wipe and quick wipe with the mf towel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dandy98
10-24-2017, 06:59 AM
Those are high spots. They could be associated with utilizing too much product, or possibly not using enough towels during your buff/removal stage- I always use a minimum of two towels per panel. It is also very helpful, albeit time consuming, to take the vehicle outside in the sunlight and shade to look for these spots to make sure you have knocked them down. (if possible).

Hope this helps you Dandy.

Thanks . Ill give this a try next time around.My concern is dust that may accumulate while bring the car out of the bay. We live on a dirt road and even a small accumulation may create an issue. I use a sun gun but that did not help.Your comments are appreciated.

HUMP DIESEL
10-24-2017, 07:03 AM
Thanks . Ill give this a try next time around.My concern is dust that may accumulate while bring the car out of the bay. We live on a dirt road and even a small accumulation may create an issue. I use a sun gun but that did not help.Your comments are appreciated.

I don't think this is an option since you have already allowed this coating to cure some.

HUMP

Dandy98
10-24-2017, 07:04 AM
I don't know of many coatings on the market that a 5 minute wait would not have you already curing with the highspots left behind. What coating are you using. That's where we need to start.

Secondly, what I have found that works really well, is the initial wipe off to be done with a low nap MF towel, then a final light wipe with one of a more fluffy higher pile nature.

HUMP

I could not mention the product on the post being that it is not from Autogeek. But hopefully on the reply : IGL

Dandy98
10-24-2017, 07:11 AM
Yes, directions from IGL state to wait 5 to 10 minutes. I like the idea of using the applicator to level it first at 5 Minutes then buff with a m/f towel. GREAT idea. I have side panels to do next and Ill give this a try.

Dandy98
10-24-2017, 07:12 AM
Igl

BudgetPlan1
10-24-2017, 08:37 AM
Igl

Which IGL? I thought the only one available to consumers was Premier?

Sean M at ShowShine
10-24-2017, 10:18 AM
If you plan on doing coatings more often i highly recommend that you invest in a clock with a built in thermometer and humidity gauge. That said, i have found that really working the coating into the paint on application helps to prevent obvious high spots/too heavy of an application, and using a low/medium pile and lower gsm towel for initial removal helps alot. I usually use a suede cloth to do my final wipes.

Any high spots you have can easily be removed with CarPro essence and a polishing pad or other light polish.