PDA

View Full Version : Drying aid

Pages : [1] 2

TUDM
10-22-2017, 04:02 PM
How important is a drying aid or is it just a new technique to consume more product? I understand that it's suppose to add more lubrication to surface to help reduce marring, but before drying aids were used I dried my vehicles without one and I didn't mar the finish and this was when everyone used synthetic wool wash mitts and synthetic chamois to dry. I also know how they can add some quick and easy gloss and or slickness. To be honest my first car was black and it was my last black car had nothing that was not white or very light like silver since so I know how these colors conceal marring better. I don't mind using a detail spray just need to keep drying towels super clean so I can wash them in our nice new washer and dryer without worrying of leaving detailing chemical residue in the washer dryer. I have already tried using the laundry at and those machines are coated with softener and other dyes and soap fragrances and washing them by hand is just not practical for me.

Eldorado2k
10-22-2017, 05:45 PM
How important is a drying aid or is it just a new technique to consume more product? I understand that it's suppose to add more lubrication to surface to help reduce marring, but before drying aids were used I dried my vehicles without one and I didn't mar the finish and this was when everyone used synthetic wool wash mitts and synthetic chamois to dry. I also know how they can add some quick and easy gloss and or slickness. To be honest my first car was black and it was my last black car had nothing that was not white or very light like silver since so I know how these colors conceal marring better. I don't mind using a detail spray just need to keep drying towels super clean so I can wash them in our nice new washer and dryer without worrying of leaving detailing chemical residue in the washer dryer. I have already tried using the laundry at and those machines are coated with softener and other dyes and soap fragrances and washing them by hand is just not practical for me.

1st of all: Yes, it pretty much is just a new technique to consume more product... But don't go blaming any big name detailing brands as this whole concept was created by the consumer. You'd be hard pressed to find anything even slightly mentioning using a detail spray as a drying aid on its label up until maybe last year when Meguiars Wax As You Dry officially began marketing an official "drying aid"

I'm sure it's not the only 1, but I'd be willing to bet no detailing spray sold 3yrs ago mentioned using it as a drying aid on its directions.

The only reason I use Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash Concentrate diluted 3oz. per gallon as a drying aid is because I feel it adds a touch of added gloss... But if it wasn't for that I wouldn't even bother with a so called drying aid because drying requires no aid, all it requires is a proper towel and halfway decent technique, if that.

2nd of all, why are you afraid to use your new washing machine? Are you saying your old washing machine is more capable? Because I bet you didn't have to worry about a biodegradable car wash solution ruining it.

Car products are absolutely harmless when it comes to those things... Take this for example: I take my Grit Guard out back and lay it on the green grass. Then I douse a dirty pad full of compound, polish, or wax/sealant... Douse it with the strongest degreaser I've got, so strong I don't dare clean pads indoors because the fumes are just strong. And what happens to the green grass underneath once I'm done cleaning 15 dirty pads? Nothing. No harm even with all that... A little bit of detail spray is no worse than the dirt on your clothes. It's a washing machine, don't let someone convince you otherwise... And if it's not, than you just overspent and downgraded for an inferior washing machine. :)

BudgetPlan1
10-22-2017, 05:50 PM
I do it put of laziness...just makes it so much easier, quicker to dry the car. Can't hurt, adds a little bit of protection and looks. Or not. But easier to dry anyway.

PA DETAILER
10-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Is it needed. NO. BUT....a good drying aid will make your LSP last longer, and make drying a bit safer and easier. I have been using Trademark extender spray wax. And the Xterra never looked better. I am also picky about my Griots PMF drying towel. Not cheap. I machine wash it in normal FREE ALL det. packs. And tumble dry low. Comes out looking and feeling new.

1. Wash
2. Flood rinse.
3. Drying aid.
4. Dry with PMF.
5. Admire a job well done.

fightnews
10-22-2017, 05:57 PM

It probably did mar the finish but you need a strong headlamp to see it either that or the color hides it. A drying aid will make the car look better. If you don't care about that then you don't need it

Eldorado2k
10-22-2017, 06:07 PM
It probably did mar the finish but you need a strong headlamp to see it either that or the color hides it. A drying aid will make the car look better. If you don't care about that then you don't need it

He said in the times before drying aids he didn't used to marr or scratch his 1st car, which was black.

derass
10-22-2017, 06:34 PM
You make some good points. But in spite of them, I use UWW+ as a drying aid because I think provides some lubrication and it's VERY cheap to do so.

bullitt 736
10-22-2017, 07:24 PM
My Toro blower is a great drying aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legumes
10-23-2017, 07:43 AM
I wipe dry, so I use a drying aid. The less friction the better. Besides that, the two products I commonly use as drying aids appear to make my towels absorb water even better. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it's something I definitely notice each time I use a drying aid vs. not using one.

Desertnate
10-23-2017, 08:22 AM
I use a drying aid for three reasons, in order of priority to me (high to low):
1) Helps with water spotting in the drying process. I don't have any shade, so I can get spots between the flood rinse and final wipe down.
2) Makes drying easier and the MF towel seems to glide better over the paint. With several dark colors in the family fleet, the less chances of marring the better.
3) Slight improvement in gloss.

Do I have to use a drying aid? No, and I didn't for years, but I do like using them now. I'd be using something anyway to eliminate water spots after I dry, so it's a wash from a cost perspective.

Ray6712
10-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Not needed at all but it has its benefits, provides a slicker surface also makes drying the car easier and faster!

Give it a shot no need to stress if it works well great if it’s not your cup of tea keep doing what your doing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jaretr1
10-23-2017, 10:30 AM
I use drying aids. I wash my car outside, in the sun, here in Miami and water spots are inevitable. There is definitely something to using a quick detailer, or appropriate spray wax as a drying aid. They definitely add an extra bit of lubricity to the surface, add a touch of protection, and can help enhance gloss, all things water cannot do on its own.

Bobby B.
10-23-2017, 10:54 AM
I like to use a drying aid when washing cars outside in the South Florida sun. It helps with water spotting and adds some slickness & gloss. Autogeek offers plenty of products to use as a drying aid. I like to use the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash. https://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-uber-rinseless-wash.html

Eldorado2k
10-24-2017, 12:01 AM
I use a drying aid for three reasons, in order of priority to me (high to low):
1) Helps with water spotting in the drying process. I don't have any shade, so I can get spots between the flood rinse and final wipe down.
2) Makes drying easier and the MF towel seems to glide better over the paint. With several dark colors in the family fleet, the less chances of marring the better.
3) Slight improvement in gloss.

Do I have to use a drying aid? No, and I didn't for years, but I do like using them now. I'd be using something anyway to eliminate water spots after I dry, so it's a wash from a cost perspective.

Not needed at all but it has its benefits, provides a slicker surface also makes drying the car easier and faster!

Give it a shot no need to stress if it works well great if it’s not your cup of tea keep doing what your doing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like to use a drying aid when washing cars outside in the South Florida sun. It helps with water spotting and adds some slickness & gloss. Autogeek offers plenty of products to use as a drying aid. I like to use the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash. https://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-uber-rinseless-wash.html

I totally agree. Never used to use 1, but nowadays I do.

PouncingPanzer
10-24-2017, 05:32 AM
I find that using a "drying aid", as some call it, is just a really convenient time and way to apply a favorite product you would normally apply anyways. I like the idea, and was skeptical of it myself, but now I find myself misting panels that are still wet every wash. It's efficient use of time you were already going to spend drying those same panels anyways. Plus, as mentioned, does help with spotting.

Now, as for the effectiveness and importance of using an actual "drying aid", that I am skeptical of. I have used CG After Wash, and TBH, I didn't find it made drying easier, in fact I found it included a bit more work. I use waterless solutions now, and the Griot's PPF towels are working splendidly.