PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Pet-Peeves in Detailing?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

jmeyers278
10-21-2017, 11:36 PM
Okay, I'll start. I hate when you compound and polish a black finish to near perfection, and when wiping off the polish, you somehow put a line in the clear that you have to go back and polish. I'm pretty sure we have all done it but it makes me want to scream every time.

aaaaannnnnddd go!

LEDetailing
10-22-2017, 06:15 AM
It is frustrating when people in the automotive industry have no idea how to properly wash a car. Or have no idea how to identify a swirled out paint job.

Don M
10-22-2017, 06:18 AM
I'm with you on that one. I just polished out my Camaro yesterday, now I love the way Meguiar's D151 cleans up all the minor washing scratches/swirls (and even heavier stuff if a cutting pad is used) - BUT - it DUSTS! Not all that bad, but enough where you have to wipe down the car before moving onto the sealing step. I have found that misting a microfiber cloth with a Quick Detailer and using the weight of the cloth only will remove the dust without marring the surface. You might get a few QD smears, but in reality, that's a non issue compared to marring your perfect finish.

Oh yeah, and wind. Wind likes to blow dust all over your car and if you are using a spray product, blowing that all over the paint - this is why I switched to a gel tire shine. Since I dress the tires last, the spray would get all over and it's just not that easy to "wipe off" ANY type of tire protectant. Especially on a black car.

DogRescuer
10-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Glass

Battling dust from the landscaper ( I live in condominium community )

Sent from my SM-T310 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

fightnews
10-22-2017, 08:01 AM
Okay, I'll start. I hate when you compound and polish a black finish to near perfection, and when wiping off the polish, you somehow put a line in the clear that you have to go back and polish. I'm pretty sure we have all done it but it makes me want to scream every time.

aaaaannnnnddd go!

I hate when someone touches the finish and their finger tips cause micromarring

Eldorado2k
10-22-2017, 08:27 AM
Gardeners.

Paul A.
10-22-2017, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't characterize it so much as a pet peeve but one of the things that amazes me still is when a customer asks what I can do about fixing something that is clearly body damage, missing paint or damage beyond what "detailing" is. I do understand they do not fully understand our service boundaries and I amicably explain what can and cannot be done.

Mad Wax
10-22-2017, 10:40 AM
+1 on wind...I'm mobile and it slows me down...ruins everything!

WaxMaster1
10-22-2017, 11:32 AM
One of my recent pet peeves is YouTubers who "think" they know what they're doing, call themselves professionals and clearly are not. Plus, their newbie followers are buying this crap they're spewing and potentially applying these techniques to customers' vehicles.

detailsbydennis
10-22-2017, 11:55 AM
When a customer says “Don’t go crazy”

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

bill110
10-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Glass

Agreed. I can have a windshield spotless and streak free and then under the light at just the right angle see a smudge in the corner.

AutowerxDetailing
10-22-2017, 12:31 PM
#1 pet peeve: Water dripping out of a piece of trim and onto the panel while I'm polishing.

Kamakaz1961
10-22-2017, 12:39 PM
My biggest problem is NO MATTER how many times I go over the ride I just finished detailing, I MISS a spot of removing the wax or sealant. It is 99% the LEFT REAR QUARTER Panel! I don't know why and I seem to miss that spot 99% of the time. I usually have my GF or friend go over the ride and inspect just in case I miss a spot....the LEFT REAR QUARTER panel is my ARCH ENEMY!....LOL

Bruno Soares
10-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Lint. Drives me nuts. The more I wipe the more static and the more lint I see on the surface. And I use all kinds of good, lint free, towels. Yeah, sure, lint free my @$$.

oneheadlite
10-22-2017, 02:03 PM
When someone asks you for advice, then later when you find out what they went and did they clearly only listened to 3 words of what you told them.