PDA

View Full Version : what to do now

chrisbothwell
01-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I am working on getting some moderate swirls out of my truck. I am using the Pinnacle advanced swirl remover (with a cheap orange pad that came with the swirl remover, deinately not a LC pad) and the Pinnacle finishing polish (with an LC white pad) on the UDM.

Most of the swirls came out and the paint definatley looks richer, but there are still some swirls in there. Is it better to step the polish up or go to a LC yellow pad or an LC orange pad with the same polish? This truck is my daily driver and it sits out in the rain and snow, it is charcoal color and 3 years old, so I want to keep as much clear as possible. I am pretty sure that 3 years of dealer washes with the big scrathcy brush is what caused my swirls :( Any suggestions?

makdaddy626
01-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Have you tried a 2nd pass with the orange pad and Pin Adv. Swirl Remover?

chrisbothwell
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
yes, but hosestly only half-heartedly. I did not really comitt because I was not sure that this was the right thing to do in this situation. Is this your recommendation? Do you think that an LC pad may also help? The orange pad that I got with the Pinnacle products seems really cheap compared to the LC pads that I have, maybe they all work the same, I just dont know. Any advice is much appreciated.

makdaddy626
01-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Many people prefer the low profile 5.5 inch pads to the LC pads but it's just a personal preference, I have a bunch of them and use them all the time.

Most corrections with a PC/UDM require multiple passes to get things flawless or even close to it. There's a posting up right now where someone did an AMAZING job with correcting a really swirlled up car with a DA buffer but it took about 18 hours if I remember correctly...

Don't get discouraged and don't expect things to be super quick... remember polishing isn't like waxing where it's just about applying the product and it's either been applied or it hasn't... each pass will remove a certain amount of defects.

chrisbothwell
01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. As long as I am using the right stuff I will just stick with it and make additional passes until it is just right. Thanks.