PDA

View Full Version : Any clues on this white blob?

OCD-tailing
10-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Pictured is the deck lid of a 2012 black Impala that a coworker bought used a few years ago. I polished this car about 2-1/2 years ago and it looked really good. He said several months ago the paint developed a spot that grew and eventually took over the entire horizontal portion of the deck lid. He only takes it through touchless washes and this is the only spot on the entire car that looks like this. Upon inspecting the lid it does show signs of painting and we are wondering if this was just an atrocious paint job or if something else is going on. The car is outside at all times. We know that the small mark is CC failure but the larger white spot appeared after I rubbed a small amount of Uber compound on it (by hand) to see if there was any clear left. I did not have any transfer on my white towel but the white spot remained and it is smooth as if clayed. The white spot can not be rubbed off. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

Rsurfer
10-20-2017, 12:58 PM
That cloudy spot is the beginning of clear coat failure.

OCD-tailing
10-20-2017, 01:31 PM
That's what so strange about this. The cloudy spot ONLY appeared after I hit the area with Uber by hand.

Rsurfer
10-20-2017, 01:33 PM
That's what so strange about this. The cloudy spot ONLY appeared after I hit the area with Uber by hand.

Perhaps some oxidation was hiding it.

DetailKitty
10-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Clear coat failure for sure.