PDA

View Full Version : How to care for new Katzkin Leather

Payton34
10-20-2017, 11:14 AM
I just replaced my factory leather with Katzkin leather in my GMC Sierra Crew Cab. I went with all 100% leather and no vinyl sides or backs. When I had the stock leather I tried Lexol, Pinnacle and Wolfgang cleaner and conditioners. Lexol seamed greasy, the Pinnacle and Wolfgang were the best but I liked the smell of Pinnacle the best. Problem is my factory seats became shinier over the years of cleaning and conditioning them each month. I recently read new car leather doesn't need conditioner because they have a clear vinyl coating. They should just be cleaned. I would tend to agree as the conditioner must have sat on the surface and created the glossier finish over time.

Now that I have brand new Katzkin I want to make sure it keeps the matte finish and stays soft. The Katzkin is mush softer than OE leather and actually smells like leather unlike the Stock seats.

Any recommendations? Should I just clean the seats every 1-3 months? Would an All in one product be best option if this is a coated leather? I would think a traditional leather cleaner and conditioner is more appropriate for a high end analine type leather that would allow conditioner to soak in. I only drive 2 miles to work and put on 6000 miles a year so they aren't abused.

damonb10
10-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Because all modern leather has a "clear coat" I stick with the approach of using a diluted all purpose cleaner and apply 303 protectant. This has been producing great results. I do this about every 1-3 months depending on how dirty.

Rsurfer
10-20-2017, 01:43 PM
You questioned yourself whether or not this was coated leather. Why not find out from the person that did it? If it's coated you can just wipe it down and skip the conditioners.

BTW your seats look real cool.

dcjredline
10-20-2017, 01:46 PM
I would check with Katskinz first BUT I love the Griots Garage Leather care spray and have heard the Leather 3 in 1 stuff was good too. I do know the LCS does not shine leather at all and leaves a very nice scent. You can even get it locally in some auto stores that carry GG!!!

Payton34
10-20-2017, 06:48 PM
So Katzkin says their leather is coated and I should not use any conditioner only clean with a non silicone water based leather cleaner or mild soap n warm water.
With this what leather cleaners have a leather scent? I have used lexol,wolfgang and pinnacle and non of these smell like leather.

Rsurfer
10-20-2017, 06:53 PM
So Katzkin says their leather is coated and I should not use any conditioner only clean with a non silicone water based leather cleaner or mild soap n warm water.
With this what leather cleaners have a leather scent? I have used lexol,wolfgang and pinnacle and non of these smell like leather.

Griot Leather Care Spray.

Bruno Soares
10-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Mckee’s 70/30 leather shampoo does smell like leather.

The Guz
10-20-2017, 11:22 PM
I would consider coating the seats. Very little maintenance other than a wipedown with something like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer every week or every other week works great.

Either of these would be a good option.

Review - CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/98797-review-carpro-cquartz-leather-coating.html)

FYI Gyeon states that their leather cleaner will not affect or remove their leather coating.

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating) (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/109399-review-gyeon-leather-shield-leather-coating.html)