PDA

View Full Version : How do you know a sealant was removed

Morrison
10-19-2017, 12:46 PM
Getting ready to apply EXO to my car, trying to remove the sealant that I had applied I’m using menzerna 3500 and a white pad from lake country. After I did a test spot I did a IPA wipe down. Then sprayed some water on the spot and the water still beads up. Am I reading into that to much or is the sealant still there?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

JHL88
10-19-2017, 05:09 PM
What you described is normal. A surface (like paint) is clean enough water will bead up. If I were you I'd do another round of IPA since Menzerna polishes are oily just to make sure. You'd also benefit from using Gtechniq Panel Wipe, it contains hydrocarbons and is much better at stripping the wax/polish/oils residues than IPA just FYI

Morrison
10-19-2017, 05:38 PM
What do recommend a good IPA dilution ration and what percent of alcohol? I’ve been using 91%

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Kamakaz1961
10-19-2017, 05:59 PM
What do recommend a good IPA dilution ration and what percent of alcohol? I’ve been using 91%

IMO I would use NO IPA. The surface is clean enough for application of Sealant. I use SF4500 (Menzerna 3800) or 3M Perfect-it Ultra Polish and after removing the polish with a MF I go on to the LSP. Again, that is me...NO IPA as I feel it is not needed.

Morrison
10-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Even if you were applying Gtechniq EXO?

FUNX650
10-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Even if you were applying Gtechniq EXO?
IMO:
Instead of using IPA to surgically clean
the paint, it’s probably a best practice
to follow this Coating manufacturer’s
recommendations.

Directions

2. After paint is polished and all defects are
removed, chemically strip the paint using
GTechniq Panel Wipe Coating Prep.

This will remove any polishing oils so
EXO can properly bond to the surface.

Bob

jmeyers278
10-19-2017, 10:17 PM

I wouldn't ever use IPA that hot. IPA can soften even the newer clear coats. It isn't recommended to use IPA at a ratio higher than 25% but I mix it at about 15%. Somewhere on here is a chart to tell you how to dilute IPA's of different percentages.

Morrison
10-19-2017, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't ever use IPA that hot. IPA can soften even the newer clear coats. It isn't recommended to use IPA at a ratio higher than 25% but I mix it at about 15%. Somewhere on here is a chart to tell you how to dilute IPA's of different percentages.

The 91% is the level of alcohol I’m using. Not what I have it diluted to

Mike Phillips
10-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Getting ready to apply EXO to my car, trying to remove the sealant that I had applied I’m using menzerna 3500 and a white pad from lake country. After I did a test spot I did a IPA wipe down. Then sprayed some water on the spot and the water still beads up. Am I reading into that to much or is the sealant still there?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

In my opinion - buffing out a car with any fine cut polish and a rotary buffer will have obliterated any sealant that was remaining on the surface of the finish.

You used a medium cut polish so "yeah" it's gone...

Also - how water is applied to a surface can affect how water forms on the surface. Run some water over the paint and see if it sheets off or drizzles off.

You could also try mineral spirits or an paint safe dilution of APC

:)

Desertnate
10-20-2017, 07:59 AM
You'd also benefit from using Gtechniq Panel Wipe, it contains hydrocarbons and is much better at stripping the wax/polish/oils residues than IPA just FYI

This would be my recommendation too rather than using IPA. Panel Wipe is designed specifically to work with GTechniq coatings and prep the surface of the paint. I'm a fan of using coating prep sprays over just a straight IPA solution since most of them have a *tiny* amount of other ingredients which provide a little lubrication so your mf towel doesn't mar the paint you just spent hours perfecting.

RippyD
10-20-2017, 08:41 AM
I've been using mineral spirits with good success (per Mike's recommendation). I then go over it with with N-914 at rinseless dilution just make sure it's gone as well. N-914 at 8:1 also seems to work well. Haven't tested it, but assume McKee's has.

Morrison
10-20-2017, 08:46 AM
In my opinion - buffing out a car with any fine cut polish and a rotary buffer will have obliterated any sealant that was remaining on the surface of the finish.

You used a medium cut polish so "yeah" it's gone...

Also - how water is applied to a surface can affect how water forms on the surface. Run some water over the paint and see if it sheets off or drizzles off.

You could also try mineral spirits or an paint safe dilution of APC

:)

Thank you Mike.

I grabbed some mineral spirits last night, so after I polish the car just wipe it down with a soft micro fiber with mineral spirits on it then wipe off with another?

zmcgovern45
10-20-2017, 08:49 AM
As Mike mentioned.... you are using an abrasive polish that is physically removing clear coat from the vehicle. The sealant is absolutely gone... you're removing paint.