PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coat prep question

Morrison
10-17-2017, 06:10 PM
I’m looking to apply Gtechniq EXO to my car. I understand that the paint has to be free from all sealants and waxes. I currently have Wolfgang polish enhancer and plan on using that to prep the paint, what I am wondering is would I still need to do a IPA wipe down afterwards.

Rsurfer
10-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Yes!!

Morrison
10-17-2017, 06:20 PM
Do you believe that the Wolfgang polish enhancer is a good step for removing the sealant that is currently on there?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Rsurfer
10-17-2017, 06:29 PM
It's a paint cleaner and has no abrasive. A light polish would do a better job of removing any lsp and micro marring.

Morrison
10-17-2017, 06:39 PM
Would menzerna SF3500 be a better option?

Renozx12
10-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Or McKees Fast Polish [emoji1360]

Morrison
10-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Or McKees Fast Polish [emoji1360]

Don’t have that, trying to use what I already have.

BudgetPlan1
10-17-2017, 06:53 PM
I would think decon, clay, Menz 3500, IPA/Prep product wipedown would take care of all concerns.

Morrison
10-17-2017, 07:02 PM
First time doing it so just want to make sure I do it right.

BudgetPlan1
10-17-2017, 07:09 PM
First time doing it so just want to make sure I do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnlineBe sure to really check closely with light even *after* prep wipedown to insure all polishing oils/whatever is removed. Menzerna can be some oily stuff.

Rsurfer
10-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Be sure to really check closely with light even *after* prep wipedown to insure all polishing oils/whatever is removed. Menzerna can be some oily stuff.

What does Menz3500 polishing oils look like? I've used Menz polishes for years and never seen oils after a good mf wipe down.

Rsurfer
10-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Would menzerna SF3500 be a better option?

Yes and a good through IPA wipe down.

BudgetPlan1
10-17-2017, 08:16 PM
What does Menz3500 polishing oils look like? I've used Menz polishes for years and never seen oils after a good mf wipe down.Just some smears or a very, very light haze you can pretty much only see in the refracted beams of direct sunlight (or flashlight/penlight/swirl finder lite).

I missed it once being sloppy messing around with some coatings on a hood; coated over it, the sun shined sadness upon me when car pulled outta garage.

Somewhere over on sister forum their was a Jescar v. Menzerna thread with a vid of wipeoff side by side and it kinda showed it.

No big deal or issue if yer, you know...paying close attention to what you're doing, which I obviously wasn't. I just assumed panel was good to go after prep wipedown but didn't actually look closely enough. Doh!

Desertnate
10-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Just some smears or a very, very light haze you can pretty much only see in the refracted beams of direct sunlight (or flashlight/penlight/swirl finder lite).

This drove me nuts with both Meguiars UP and Blackfire SRC products. Great polishes, but both fairly oily. Under normal overhead light it looked like my prep spray removed everything, but when I turned off the overhead lights and hit the surface with an LED flashlight, I started to see a rainbow-like haze in places. I had to do another pass to completely remove all the oils.