PDA

View Full Version : Review - BF Clay mitt and Lube

Audios S6
10-17-2017, 05:30 PM
I received these products at no charge from Meghan, and in return, I agreed to provide a review on the forum. I will try to keep this as objective as I can.

I am a big fan of clay mitts. They make the process much faster and easier for me and they are much more economical than clay bars. I have used a variety different formats from nanoskin, eagle one, optimum etc.

The BF clay mitt has material all the way to the border of the pad, ensuring complete coverage.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60552&d=1508278504

The border stitching is well done and I have little concern of it marring the paint. The loop to hang it is on the inside so as not to touch the paint. The lining material is very nice with good friction and is fully adhered to the outside. I've had others where the material is loose on the inside and this makes it less comfortable and a bit more difficult to use.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60554&d=1508278507

The pad broke in very fast on the windshield. It is the optimal size for my hand and, as above, I can make use of the whole pad because the clay material goes all the way to the end. It worked equally well with the BF clay lube and the BF car soap producing no marring. I would characterize the pad a mild as far as clay alternatives go.

The only things I wasn't a huge fan of was the location of the border wrap and the MF side of the pad. The border was wrapped on the same side as the clay material, leaving some potential for it to catch on a part of the car. If the wrap was reversed, that would solve the problem and perhaps it's not consistent with every pad. I realize this makes it possible to create the loop, so it may not be possible to change and retain the loop. You can see in the photo, this is the only spot that was making contact with the paint.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60553&d=1508278505

The MF side of the pad is very low nap as expected for a clay mitt, but I wouldn't consider using it to wipe off clay lube. It does however provide decent grip if you choose not wear it as a mitt.

All-in-all this is a very good example of a clay mitt and ticks nearly every box.

As for the clay lube. It smell very nice, it stays wet on the paint and I had no issues with it flashing of even when working in the sun. Just a few sprays was enough to do a fender. It is quite slick and produced no marring with the clay mitt. I had a few areas of marring with a mild clay bar, but I attribute this to using too little lube trying to find the magic amount. It also wipes off with no streaking or residue even when working in the sun, though temps were in the 60s. Again, a very nice clay lube that ticks all the boxes.

Meghan
10-19-2017, 07:07 AM
Thank you for the review glad you enjoyed using these products. The mitt makes claying for the detailers a lot more economical!

atgonzales
10-19-2017, 07:22 AM
Nicely done

Marc08EX
10-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Great review Audios S6!! I think it's great BF is offering this. I loved my nanoskin clay towel but it disintegrated already. I'll definitely consider this when I need to buy my next one.

Cruzscarwash
10-20-2017, 10:18 AM
how would you compare it to the other brand mitts you have used?

Audios S6
10-20-2017, 11:57 AM
how would you compare it to the other brand mitts you have used?

The clay material isn't revolutionary compared to anything else on the market. It's the little things that make this a preferred product over other mitts.

The full coverage of material
Quality stitching and border
Quality, fully adhered liner with good friction
Integral loop on the inside