PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Glaze vs. Wax vs. Sealant

03 4TR
01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Ok, I am pretty new to detailing. Although I did just complete my second semi-large order from AutoGeek.net and am trying to do some research and learning while I wait out the Ohio winter.

Right now I trying to learn about Sealant vs. Waxes. With my last order I bought XMT #3, XMT #1 and some Finishing Glaze to work on my wife's black Altima and my silver 4Runner. After getting swirls and imperfections out of the Altima, I was planning on finishing it off with the Glaze and then some Souveran.

While it sounds like that will give me a good shine, I feel like that for a black daily driver Sealant might be the way to go. If that is the case, is my best best to skip the Glaze and go straight from XMT #1 to the Sealant, something like Wolfgang's or NXT? What do you guys think?

I hoping I can get better at this swirl remover this year with the black car. It is killing me to see the swirls and imperfections. I am watching the videos and been itching for the weather to get warmer!!!

makdaddy626
01-16-2008, 10:53 PM
My understanding is that a sealant will protect longer but not necessarily better than a good wax. I, like many on here, prefer to put a coat of sealant down and then top it with a wax, for looks and protection. Having the sealant underneath gives the benefit of knowing that if I don't get to wax again as soon as I'd like, everthing should stay protected. Hope that helps.

ScottB
01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Finishing Glaze --- normally a product containing some filling ability to hide any light swirls. Some contain a small amount of protection and some glossing agents to shine deeper.

Wax --- a pure carnuaba wax is a LSP product used to protect the work done while preping the surface. Usually very wet in look, and deeper than synthetic waxes but durability is limited and re-application is needed more frequently.

Sealant -- a synthetic version of a wax. Originally quite sterile and plastic looking. Newer products use alot of polymers to amp up the gloss factor to look wetter. Protection is usually longer and thus reapplication is less frequent. You can top a sealant with a pure wax to add to looks as wanted, but not the otherway around typically.

time-2-shine
01-17-2008, 10:37 PM
If you decide to go with a sealent i highley recomend poor boys EX .. I just used it for the first time on a black truck that i polished out last week... It looked very very very nice.... Nice and wet looking and man did that stuff come off easy... It was truely compareabel to a descent carnuba.... Not soveran but it was prety nice .... I am a profesional detailer and poor boys products have become a stapel of mine... They are very reasonabely priced
And not the same cheap trash that alot of the guys use around here....:D..
Also with glazes Menzerna makes a nice finishing glaze but alot of companys are not on the same page of what they feel a glaze is... Some glazes that are being sold are simply a fine polish... I dont know why but there seems to be some difrences from company to company as to what a glaze is.... Maybe killerwheels could shed some light on this....

Oh one final thought is that yes i do like the poor boys ex sealent but just so you know i have not seen how long it lasts yet They say i belive 6-9 months.... I dont know about that down here in the blazeing south Florida sun ... But we shall see