PDA

View Full Version : Updated my residue control method (with pictures)

mwoywod
10-14-2017, 04:07 PM
For the past year I've been using Jim White's (White Details) method for containing my spent compound and polish residue.

For those of you who aren't familiar, Jim uses a 5 gallon bucket and mists the sides of the bucket to catch the spent residue that is removed from pads when using compressed air.

Problems with using a 5 gallon bucket.....
-Because a 5 gallon bucket is too shallow, occasionally I'd blow out my pad and a mixture of water, spent compound, and paint would shoot back up into my face.
-I had to use a putty knife to scrape all the residue off the sides of the bucket and into the trash, which was a massive pain in the a$$ and took me an extra 5-10 minutes every day just to simply clean out my bucket.
-I was constantly knocking my bucket over with hoses and extension cords which was extremely annoying.

New Method

This 20 gallon brute trash is the perfect size and it's ONLY used for my residue control. I still mist the inside of the trash can with water but I am able to contain much more of my spent compound and polish AND rather than cleaning it out with a putty knife every day, at the end of the week I can just throw away the trash bag and put in a new one. (The cheapest/thinnest trash bags I could find work great)

Also, because it's on casters it's easy to roll around the vehicle which is another bonus!

Residue control is the most important aspects of paint correction and because 90% of the cars I am sanding and polishing are actually painted with softer single stage paints, I really have to keep my pads clean. Hope someone finds this interesting! Any thought or ideas are ALWAYS welcome. Hope you guys have a great weekend!!

atgonzales
10-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Nicely done

fightnews
10-14-2017, 06:35 PM
For the past year I've been using Jim White's (White Details) method for containing my spent compound and polish residue.

For those of you who aren't familiar, Jim uses a 5 gallon bucket and mists the sides of the bucket to catch the spent residue that is removed from pads when using compressed air.

Problems with using a 5 gallon bucket.....
-Because a 5 gallon bucket is too shallow, occasionally I'd blow out my pad and a mixture of water, spent compound, and paint would shoot back up into my face.
-I had to use a putty knife to scrape all the residue off the sides of the bucket and into the trash, which was a massive pain in the a$$ and took me an extra 5-10 minutes every day just to simply clean out my bucket.
-I was constantly knocking my bucket over with hoses and extension cords which was extremely annoying.

New Method

This 20 gallon brute trash is the perfect size and it's ONLY used for my residue control. I still mist the inside of the trash can with water but I am able to contain much more of my spent compound and polish AND rather than cleaning it out with a putty knife every day, at the end of the week I can just throw away the trash bag and put in a new one. (The cheapest/thinnest trash bags I could find work great)

Also, because it's on casters it's easy to roll around the vehicle which is another bonus!

Residue control is the most important aspects of paint correction and because 90% of the cars I am sanding and polishing are actually painted with softer single stage paints, I really have to keep my pads clean. Hope someone finds this interesting! Any thought or ideas are ALWAYS welcome. Hope you guys have a great weekend!! nice i wish I had that problem but detailing my car is only a side job. I dont have time to do anyone elses car. dont even have enough time for mine

Eldorado2k
10-14-2017, 07:03 PM
I once watched a vid where dudes were using the same method but they had found a sticky liquid that worked in place of plain water... I've never been able to locate the vid again and not having the answer to what they used has bugged me a little ever since.

I think it might've been hair spray. Aqua Net. Try it.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Great idea!

It also appears that the 20 gal is alot easier on the back while blowing out the pads. It has to be nice to roll it and blow them out standing up.

Thank's for sharing.

I know you work with alot of single stage paints, So this is a very vital tool for you.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)