PDA

View Full Version : what makes a pad "cut"

daveo
01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I was interested in knowing but have not found what actually makes a polishing pad cut. Is it the pores, the density, or something in the pad itself that actually makes it bite? Also what makes a cleaner wax clean vs. a non-cleaning wax. If it there are abrasives in a cleaning wax I wouldnt think it would be safe. Thanks. Dave

TOGWT
01-17-2008, 05:51 AM
I was interested in knowing but have not found what actually makes a polishing pad cut. Is it the pores, the density, or something in the pad itself that actually makes it bite?

A1. The density of the foam and the number of pores (PPI) a LC Yellow 65 PPI foam is very abrasive, were as a 100 PPI LC Red foam is very soft and non-abrasive

Also what makes a cleaner wax clean vs. a non-cleaning wax. If it there are abrasives in a cleaning wax I wouldn’t think it would be safe.

A2. Very fine abrasives are formulated into a cleaner-wax were as a wax is non-abrasive

Jimmie
01-17-2008, 12:43 PM
And one that came up in a recent dialog about where the orange pad fit in a system. The amount of pad contact to hold polish against the paint surface and generate heat.
Just relaying this because I don't understand how all of the elements fit together.

ZoranC
01-17-2008, 03:06 PM
I was interested in knowing but have not found what actually makes a polishing pad cut. Is it the pores, the density, or something in the pad itself that actually makes it bite?

A1. The density of the foam and the number of pores (PPI) a LC Yellow 65 PPI foam is very abrasive, were as a 100 PPI LC Red foam is very soft and non-abrasive
I would venture to guess cause is firmness of material in certain foam while pores usually tag along but are not the cause, they are side effect. To illustrate what I have in mind: We all know those stones used to abrade old skin. They are very porous. Yet they are very abrasive. It is not pores that do not / do cut. It is a material that cuts.

daveo
01-17-2008, 05:20 PM
To all who have replied thank you for your time and effort. So much of this seems like bio-chemistry. There are so many variables to a lot of it. This site and your responses to all threads are a tremendous help.

D

TOGWT
01-18-2008, 03:56 AM
I would venture to guess cause is firmness of material in certain foam while pores usually tag along but are not the cause, they are side effect. To illustrate what I have in mind: We all know those stones used to abrade old skin. They are very porous. Yet they are very abrasive. It is not pores that do not / do cut. It is a material that cuts.

I totally agree with your statement with regard to the pores; but pores per inch (PPI) and density are interrelated i.e. the higher PPI the softer the foam. The reason I always use PPI and colour to describe a foam pad is that colour is not a standard used by mfgs but hard/soft is usually a description used; hence with PPI (foam density) you can match your chosen pad with what I use Lake County (LC)

ZoranC
01-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I totally agree with your statement with regard to the pores; but pores per inch (PPI) and density are interrelated i.e. the higher PPI the softer the foam. The reason I always use PPI and colour to describe a foam pad is that colour is not a standard used by mfgs but hard/soft is usually a description used; hence with PPI (foam density) you can match your chosen pad with what I use Lake County (LC)
I agree that they walk hand-in-hand and that in the absence of more precise indicator PPI is as best indicator as we have. However I have seen pads that both claim same (100 in this case) PPI yet one is significantly softer than the other. Only explanation I have is (beside that they might not be having same PPI after all) material used.

Now that I think about it, there is one more factor that could be playing role in how much foam cuts and it is neither PPI nor material used. It is "shape of structure". I know nothing about foam manufacturing but in civil/mechanical engineering you can build two structures that have same volume of air / total volume (same "PPI", if you will) yet one is very flimsy, other one is very ridgid. First one will be giving in to sideways load (will not "cut"), other one will not be giving in and thus will "cut" (abrade).

TOGWT
01-19-2008, 08:10 AM
With concrete you need to ensure there are no air pockets to ensure that its density and that the mixture cure time meets the specs

Foam doesn't require a lengthy cure time like concrete (28 days unless an accelerant is used) a foam set-up time is mins not days

Very different applications- don't try to polish paint with a concrete pad ;-)

ZoranC
01-19-2008, 04:29 PM
With concrete you need to ensure ...
My loose analogy did not have concrete in mind but "wire" structures and how they behave under the side load. I was giving analogy to how certain structure behaves depending on it's layout trying to point out that structures made from same material can give in more or less, and that friction between pad and paint's surface is that side load. And I visualize (from pictures under the microscope) that foam is a "wire structure" on the very low level. So, have same material, have same density (PPI), yet have wires arranged differently, and you will be cutting more or less.

Very different applications- don't try to polish paint with a concrete pad ;-)
Now you are telling me. :( Too late :(