PDA

View Full Version : Can you apply McKee's paint coating on top of Hydro Blue?

geoguy
10-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Hey Guys,

I put Hydro Blue on my new truck to hold me over until I had time to coat it with McKee's paint coating. I can put the coating in top of Hydro Blue? It's been a couple of weeks since the Hydro Blue went on and I am planning on using the prep polish.

Thanks,

Geoguy

Justin at Final Inspection
10-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Nope. Best to do a light polish before applying the coating. I would hit it with something like M205 or Menzerna sf3800 just to insure its completely gone. You can use hydro blue to maintain the coating once its on though.

geoguy
10-13-2017, 11:03 AM
How long does Hydro Blune last?

MattPersman
10-13-2017, 11:16 AM
6 weeks maybe if it was prepped good before hand and not washed aggressively

I would polish prep it first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
10-13-2017, 11:33 AM
So you guys are saying the Mckee's Coating Prep Polish wouldn't do the job to prep in this situation?

10-13-2017, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't trust it to. Just my opinion. Would use a finishing polish instead being that Hydro Blue has silica in it. Don't think that the coating prep polish would do it. But may be wrong on this one.

geoguy
10-13-2017, 11:48 AM
I might just wait it out until the Hydro Blue has worn off as I'm not confidant in myself yet to polish without causing swirls or micromarring even with a finish polish, especially on a new vehicle.

geoguy
10-13-2017, 11:54 AM
On a related note, what are people's experience with Toyota paint? Hard or soft? The new truck is an '18 4Runner TRD in Magnetic Gray Metallic.

10-13-2017, 12:46 PM
On a related note, what are people's experience with Toyota paint? Hard or soft? The new truck is an '18 4Runner TRD in Magnetic Gray Metallic.

Seems a little on the medium to hard side. Just did a brand new 18 Tundra TRD pro in the cement color.

Bruno Soares
10-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Even if the car is new, I find it very unlikely that it doesn't need a fine polish. If you're going to coat it the paint should be flawless, you don't want to coat over defects, even if they're small. So I'd read articles and watch videos posted by Mike here and get myself ready to polish that car. It would remove Hydro Blue and get the paint to a state that it can be coated properly.

Nick McKees37
10-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Hey Guys,

I put Hydro Blue on my new truck to hold me over until I had time to coat it with McKee's paint coating. I can put the coating in top of Hydro Blue? It's been a couple of weeks since the Hydro Blue went on and I am planning on using the prep polish.

Thanks,

Geoguy

Congrats on the new truck. New Tacoma pickups are very nice. :xyxthumbs:

Coating Prep Polish will remove Hydro Blue. Apply it by hand using a soft foam applicator pad or, for even faster results, use a DA polisher.

Apply it like you would a liquid wax. Let it dry to a haze, then wipe it off.

:dblthumb2:

geoguy
10-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Thanks Nick and everyone for the help. This forum is awesome!

It looks like I have some work to do this weekend! I will use the prep polish, that is how I applied it on my girlfriends new CR-V (using a Lake County thick red foam applicator) before the coating.

Would D114 at panel wipe concentration (1:8) remove Hydro Blue as well? When I sprayed it on and power washed it off, the beading seemed better. Could D114 at that concetration be used as a makeshift "resest" for silica-based coatings/spray?

fightnews
10-13-2017, 06:19 PM
I might just wait it out until the Hydro Blue has worn off as I'm not confidant in myself yet to polish without causing swirls or micromarring even with a finish polish, especially on a new vehicle.

you can cause swirls and micro marring even with the prep polish. Sometimes they dust and the dust gets on the pads and causes swirls and micro marring. You are better off in my opinion using a finishing polish then a panel wipe like eraser. Just trying to save you the headache.

JHL88
10-13-2017, 09:10 PM
So you guys are saying the Mckee's Coating Prep Polish wouldn't do the job to prep in this situation?

I wouldn't count on it since prep polish is more like a cleansing polish. As far as I know there aren't any abrasives like a finishing polish. If you had a sealant or a wax that should be removed with the prep polish.

Eldorado2k
10-13-2017, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't count on it since prep polish is more like a cleansing polish. As far as I know there aren't any abrasives like a finishing polish. If you had a sealant or a wax that should be removed with the prep polish.

Well I would count on it, especially since Nick@Mckee's came in and confirmed that it would...

I'm not at all surprised, especially considering most if not all water spot removers will easily remove traditionally layed coatings - as has been documented here on this forum, and they don't contain abrasives either.

Also, why would the Coating Prep Polish be effective at removing a sealant [which if it's of decent quality can easily last for months] yet not remove a spray coating which could last up to 6 weeks or so under ideal conditions? That doesn't add up..

Would D114 at panel wipe concentration (1:8) remove Hydro Blue as well? When I sprayed it on and power washed it off, the beading seemed better. Could D114 at that concetration be used as a makeshift "resest" for silica-based coatings/spray?

It shouldn't remove Hydro Blue, but yes, at normL dilutions you should see exactly that, improved beading because the surface is left clean with nothing but the coating left to show its intended behavior. That's 1 of the best things and why people [especially people who use coatings] love Megs D114 and Mckee's N-914. [emoji1417]