PDA

View Full Version : New windshield care

JMak97008
10-09-2017, 10:45 PM
2006 300C SRT8 with 85k miles. Had the windshield replaced and after the first 2 which had defects and my own user error, I have a 3rd that I want to make I sure protect, if possible.

The 1st 2 windshields I applied rainx to and while the 1st turned out well, the second ended up with this haze that I could never remove.

So, is there a product I would want to use to help wick rain away and keep clean and possibly help mitigate scraching?

Thanks in advance.

Derrick
10-10-2017, 07:14 AM
aquapel

JeffsRealm
10-10-2017, 08:03 AM
Check this out
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/mckees-37/112075-video-keep-simple-glass-care-mckees-37-a.html

That is Mckees, it looks extremely promising, however I have not tried it yet myself. I am finishing up Pinnacles version and while it works great I had a lot of trouble streaking and getting the window clean, once thats gone I will be trying the McKees.

Bruno Soares
10-10-2017, 09:11 AM
+1 for Aquapel

Hammer77
10-10-2017, 09:31 AM
I've been using Pinnacle Black Label (PBL) Glass coating for almost 2 years with great success, holds up well. A few months ago I put Aquapel on my father in laws truck, I keep forgetting to ask how it has been performing. He hasn't said anything either so I take it as is going good.

Jeff, just curious, what have you been cleaning your glass with?

JMak97008
10-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm a little leary given my experience with the rainx hazing and being hard to remove. How easily does pinnacle and aquapel go on and come off?

Hammer77
10-10-2017, 09:48 AM
IMHO the Pinnacle is easy as it can be on and off. My first time using the Aquapel, could have been user error, was kind of a pain to work with. Really had to buff it off, the applicator seemed to dispense the product heavy. Like I said could be user error, finished nice though.

Bruno Soares
10-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Watch a couple of videos on YT on how to do Aquapel. You have to have a plan and be ready to go. It needs to be done fast. Once you do it then you'll feel comfortable doing it to any car.

Hammer77
10-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Watch a couple of videos on YT on how to do Aquapel. You have to have a plan and be ready to go. It needs to be done fast. Once you do it then you'll feel comfortable doing it to any car.

I miss the like button!

JMak97008
10-10-2017, 12:46 PM
IMHO the Pinnacle is easy as it can be on and off. My first time using the Aquapel, could have been user error, was kind of a pain to work with. Really had to buff it off, the applicator seemed to dispense the product heavy. Like I said could be user error, finished nice though.

Thanks, Hammer.

BTW, I went to college in Alma, MI... Been to Adrian a few times for cross country and track meets.

JMak97008
10-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Watched a couple and does look easy to apply and remove. What happens s if the product dries or doesn't fully buff out? Do you clay it off, polish it off,...?

Bruno Soares
10-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Watched a couple and does look easy to apply and remove. What happens s if the product dries or doesn't fully buff out? Do you clay it off, polish it off,...?

I haven't had that problem so I'm not sure. It dries fast but not THAT fast. You just have to be quick. I do driver side, run to passenger side, come back to driver side, back to passenger side, toss the applicator and start buffing. I first wipe with paper towel which makes a big mess but spreads the product very evenly. Then buff with 2 different towels. The first gets most of it out, the second finishes the job. The product stinks and if you look closely there's smoke coming out once you crack the applicator. Must be some crazy chemicals in there but works for a very long time.

JeffsRealm
10-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Jeff, just curious, what have you been cleaning your glass with?

I was using Pinnacles glass cleaner. I bought the whole package from them the Polish, cleaner and coating. This is on a brand new truck as well so not a lot of surface issues with the glass. Followed the directions and the videos on it, Mike even has a great video on it. I took my time, actually spent a Friday evening, couple hours just on the windows of my truck, I did all of them including the moonroof. You can read more about my first experience here.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/111777-getting-clean-windows.html

Since then I switched to stoners glass cleaner, this got rid of all the swirls and so on and was actually able to see out my windows. The pinnacle glass cleaner just sucks, i could never get my windows clean. It is supposed to help reload the glass coating but doesn't help if you can't see through the swirls left on. I tried all kinds of different microfiber towels too, I would go through 5-6 just trying to get the windows clean after the pinnacle glass cleaner.

Now, once I got my windows clean, oh it did a good job of repelling water. I was actually quite pleased with it. However going on about 2 and a half months now, I was noticing this morning as it is raining out today, its failing. It is no longer really sheeting the water away, I was going 45-50 all the way to work and had to have my wipers on. Which say a month ago, that normal drive I would never need wipers unless stopped at a stop light even then just a quick swipe of the wipers and fine. So once I got the windows clean, it worked quite well, however longevity, meh 2.5 months. For the price, I have got much better performance out of plain old cheap Rain X. Oh and I notice the sunroof it is failing as well. Side and back windows still going strong. However, those are more vertical windows and take less abuse.

Truck has never been through regular car wash, or used any type of like gas station window cleaners or anything. Strictly 2 bucket washes stoners glass cleaner on the outside only initially to get the residues left by the pinnacle glass cleaner off. Since then haven't really needed to clean the outside windows as the weekly or at least every other week 2 bucket wash, keeps the outside windows clean. Like I say it performed well once cleaned but has certainly disappointed.

JMak97008
10-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Looks like I'll be going with aquapel... Thanks, all...