PDA

View Full Version : Can Detailer be Used on Fresh Paint?

Ray & Paula
10-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Hi Mike, I just had a fiberglass tonneau cover repainted for my truck at a body shop in which they used GM paint. I'm "Not" going to go through a normal detailing process until spring due to living in Michigan. With cold temp's, I feel this will give the paint a good cure time. In the meantime, I would like to use a spray/wipe detailer between now and then if possible between washing. I normally use Meguiars and/or Bling Hot Sauce on my truck, M.C., boat between my sealing process. Can spray/wipe detailer be used without compromising the new paint? Also, if you have any suggestions, please let me know. As always....... Thank you for your help, Ray

saturn2
10-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Hi Mike, I just had a fiberglass tonneau cover repainted for my truck at a body shop in which they used GM paint. I'm "Not" going to go through a normal detailing process until spring due to living in Michigan. With cold temp's, I feel this will give the paint a good cure time. In the meantime, I would like to use a spray/wipe detailer between now and then if possible between washing. I normally use Meguiars and/or Bling Hot Sauce on my truck, M.C., boat between my sealing process. Can spray/wipe detailer be used without compromising the new paint? Also, if you have any suggestions, please let me know. As always....... Thank you for your help, Ray

I know for a fact that Megs M-34 mentions safe for recent paint jobs on the back of the bottle.

Kamakaz1961
10-07-2017, 01:56 PM
IMO I see no reason as to why not use it. You are just cleaning it with a detailer. I would not put a sealant or wax on it as the paint needs to "cure". Usually 30 days before the paint cures. But using a detailer....again IMO would be OK.

Ray & Paula
10-09-2017, 08:54 AM
I know for a fact that Megs M-34 mentions safe for recent paint jobs on the back of the bottle.

IMO I see no reason as to why not use it. You are just cleaning it with a detailer. I would not put a sealant or wax on it as the paint needs to "cure". Usually 30 days before the paint cures. But using a detailer....again IMO would be OK.

Thanks for the replies....... Just ordered M-34. Defiantly not going to seal at this time. Thanks again, Ray

TTQ B4U
10-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Yes. Just about any product without silicon can be used. Meg's makes a good one.

FUNX650
10-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Yes. Just about any product without
silicon can be used. Meg's makes a
good one.
Here’s an easy way I differentiate between
1.) Silicon (natural element)
famous for being used in/for computer
electronics and solar energy; and:
2.) Silicone (man-made/synthetic)
that’s used in paint, sealants, adhesives and
“other types” of manufactured items.

1.) Silicon Valley is a nickname for the
southern area of the San Francisco Bay.

2.) Silicone Valley is a nickname for
Hollywood and its surrounding “hills”.

Bob

JHL88
10-09-2017, 05:37 PM
If you have any doubts, just use a waterless wash w/o gloss enhancers/wax additives

Mike Phillips
10-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Kind of like already mentioned....

You're not supposed to seal fresh paint - that said, people do it all the time and I've never seen a fresh paint job fail because it was sealed too soon.

That said, the amount of sealing a spray detailer can do is minimal, so I'd say you're safe.

And of course, Meguiar's M34 is body shop safe and silicone free if you want to be Uber careful. Plus it smells good.

:)