PDA

View Full Version : 1st time coating............kinda weird

Mathwiz
10-06-2017, 04:55 PM
I bought some McKees 37 foaming wheel cleaner and their wheel coating and decided to give it a go.

1. Washed the wheels and dried them.
2. Clayed the wheels, rinsed and dried them.
3. Put the wheel cleaner on and very little color change to red. (I must have removed most of the brake dust with the clay bar)
4. Rinsed the wheel cleaner off and dried again.
5. This is where it was weird......When I put the coating on the wheel, primed the foam applicator, and started wiping, it was as if there was nothing really there.

Anyway, I put the stuff on, did a light wipe with a MF and I'm hoping it's all good. They did seem to gloss up a little. The wheels are clear coated and was a real pain to get the material into all the little nooks and cranny's.
Time will tell if it was a success or not.

Man, this coating stuff is like an invisible shield. I don't understand where you guys get the term "high spots". It looked like there wasn't anything anywhere, high or low.

FUNX650
10-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Anyway, I put the stuff on, did a light wipe
with a MF and I'm hoping it's all good.

They did seem to gloss up a little.
The wheels are clear coated and was
a real pain to get the material into all
the little nooks and cranny's.

Looks good from here! :props:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/102EA329-F3A9-4FB3-B88D-99D5880EF6B1.jpeg

Bob

PaulMys
10-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Very cool. Great looking wheels!

vobro
10-06-2017, 07:37 PM
The color of your wheels most likely made you not see the coating,this is where good technique comes in by just being as thorough as you can.

osiapstndp
10-06-2017, 07:46 PM
This is where it was weird......When I put the coating on the wheel, primed the foam applicator, and started wiping, it was as if there was nothing really there.

Which foam applicator did you use?

Mathwiz
10-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Which foam applicator did you use?

Meguiars yellow.

Mathwiz
10-06-2017, 07:52 PM
The color of your wheels most likely made you not see the coating,this is where good technique comes in by just being as thorough as you can.

You're probably right. I'll find out soon enough as I am going to put it on my wife's MDX, which has lighter colored wheels.