PDA

View Full Version : Non-Linting Microfiber Towels?

PDC
10-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Has anyone out there found a microfiber towel that does NOT lint?
I have dumped too much $$$ into very expensive MF towels advertised not to lint only to have lint all over any panel the towel touches. I'm no penny pincher - I'll drop the dough no problem IF the towel doesn't leave lint all over the place!

Thank You!!!

Route246
10-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Save your money. Kirkland MF from Costco do not shed any lint.

I noticed the same thing. Many of those expensive MF towels, especially the "plush" and "fluffy" ones shed a lot of lint. One of the inherent properties of really good MF is that it is lint free. That's why it is used in the optics, semiconductor clean-room and jewelry industries. I think a lot of vendors are selling sub-standard MF backed by very slick marketing.

As for country-of-origin, I don't buy any of that hype, either. It is not the country-of-origin that counts. It is the requirements put to the manufacturer and the money paid to fulfill those requirements. It has absolutely nothing to do with the country. Just look at smart phones. One of the highest quality (designed in Cupertino) is the iPhone made in China. One of the deadliest (exploding Samsung Galaxy S7) was designed in Korea and made in various countries but primarily in Korea with Korean components. Anyone who can generalize that "Made in Korea" is better than "Made in China" really doesn't know how the OEM and ODM world operates.

The easiest way to test your MF is to use a common lint roller or just plain clear adhesive or packing tape.

Finick
10-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Save your money. Kirkland MF from Costco do not shed any lint.

I noticed the same thing. Many of those expensive MF towels, especially the "plush" and "fluffy" ones shed a lot of lint. One of the inherent properties of really good MF is that it is lint free. That's why it is used in the optics, semiconductor clean-room and jewelry industries. I think a lot of vendors are selling sub-standard MF backed by very slick marketing.

As for country-of-origin, I don't buy any of that hype, either. It is not the country-of-origin that counts. It is the requirements put to the manufacturer and the money paid to fulfill those requirements. It has absolutely nothing to do with the country. Just look at smart phones. One of the highest quality (designed in Cupertino) is the iPhone made in China. One of the deadliest (exploding Samsung Galaxy S7) was designed in Korea and made in various countries but primarily in Korea with Korean components. Anyone who can generalize that "Made in Korea" is better than "Made in China" really doesn't know how the OEM and ODM world operates.

The easiest way to test your MF is to use a common lint roller or just plain clear adhesive or packing tape.

I’ve also had 0 issues with my Costco microfibers. I actually really dislike high gsm towels because they’re just incredibly annoying to manage. The weight of the Kirkland ones are pretty ideal.

That’s not to say I don’t necessarily think other towels could be “better”, but at a certain level, does it really justify the cost that can be something crazy like 2 or 3 (or even more) bucks PER towel? To some people I’m sure, and more power to them.

It’s the people that say stuff like “I’d only wipe doors jambs or wheel wells with those pieces of garbage” that really blow my life. Like, I can understand if you have black paint, or soft paint, but you can marr the finish with absolutely any towel.

VISITOR
10-06-2017, 03:31 PM
a soft microfiber towel in the 350-400gm range is good enough and can be used for a variety of tasks. when you start to go higher they become more prone to linting and less effective at certain things...

SabbyNJ
10-06-2017, 04:21 PM
I hate lint. This is the only towel I've found that doesn't lint:

https://www.autogeek.net/miracletowel.html

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

WTAGGART
10-07-2017, 07:22 AM
Try running the towels through the dryer before your first warm. Assuming everyone washes there towels before first using. I’ve been doing that for years and never had an issue with lint. I’ve been using Rag Company towels for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AutowerxDetailing
10-07-2017, 01:00 PM
The new CarPro "lint-free" orange microfibers are really nice and true to the name do not lint even if used brand new without washing first. I mostly use them for buffing off coating residue.