PDA

View Full Version : ? on pads

Pages : [1] 2

luckydawg
10-04-2017, 04:05 PM
To the best of my limited knowledge there are two types of materials used in making pads. One is foam and the other is microfiber. Is there a thread or a video that anyone knows of that will tell me when to use which one? Do some of you pros use both and when do you decide to use one instead of the other?
Thanks

DaveT435
10-04-2017, 04:06 PM
To the best of my limited knowledge there are two types of materials used in making pads. One is foam and the other is microfiber. Is there a thread or a video that anyone knows of that will tell me when to use which one? Do some of you pros use both and when do you decide to use one instead of the other?
Thanks

Can't forget wool!!

luckydawg
10-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Can't forget wool!!

Yea-- thanks Dave!!!!!!

Ronin47
10-04-2017, 04:45 PM
I used to use MF on my 8mm DA days and Wool pads on rotary but since the advent of long throws and modern aggressive foams I hardly find a need for mf and wool anymore. The LC Force Grey pad on a rotary can cut more than wool as does the LC ThinPro Grey, BnS Low-Pro Green and CarPro Flash pad on a long throw.

luckydawg
10-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Thanks Ronin-

I probably wont wast my time and $$ on MF pads then

Ronin47
10-04-2017, 04:53 PM
Thanks Ronin-

I probably wont wast my time and $$ on MF pads then

Personal preference, there are many who swear by mf and wool but I have yet to find a job on the hardest of paints that these new type foams can’t handle. However if you have an older type technology polisher like a PC,G6,3401 etc you might still have to hang onto mf/wool type pads.

luckydawg
10-04-2017, 05:56 PM
However if you have an older type technology polisher like a PC,G6,3401 etc you might still have to hang onto mf/wool type pads.

What would be a few examples of some newer technology machines?? ( that I can use the foam pads on?)

BudgetPlan1
10-04-2017, 06:48 PM
If you have heavy lifting to do with a GG6 or PC, Megs Microfiber Cutting discs and their M101 or D300 is the way to go.

That said, a gray Force pad on a Flex 3401 with M101 is a beast.

Also like the Megs Microfiber on the Rupes 15 mk2. Smooth, cuts nicely.

luckydawg
10-04-2017, 06:50 PM
I am looking to buy a machine and want to make sure I buy the right one

dlc95
10-04-2017, 11:10 PM
The paint will tell you what you need after you've done your test spot.

I still use my Porter Cable 7424xp a lot, and tend to get the most use out of green Buff and Shine pads. They're designated for polishing, but always cut better for me than stiffer foams. If ever I need more cut I use their microfiber cutting pad - the old one. I'm not too crazy about their new uro-fiber.

I only use the stiff foams when using the Rupes Blue, Green, and Grey (UHS) - when using their system of pads, polishes, and tools.

Ronin47
10-05-2017, 05:22 AM
What would be a few examples of some newer technology machines?? ( that I can use the foam pads on?)

Rupes MKII.

fightnews
10-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Personal preference, there are many who swear by mf and wool but I have yet to find a job on the hardest of paints that these new type foams can’t handle. However if you have an older type technology polisher like a PC,G6,3401 etc you might still have to hang onto mf/wool type pads.

Lol the flex 3401 is older type technology now?

Cruzscarwash
10-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Griots boss macnines, Makita, Rupes MKII etc I guess are the new kids on the block with better parts, smoother running and less heat build up

Ronin47
10-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Lol the flex 3401 is older type technology now?

10 year old tech that runs hotter, is louder, vibrates more and corrects much slower than recent tech polishers?

Sound like new tech to you? Why do u think the replacement has been on the cards for years now?

BudgetPlan1
10-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Regarding machines, the Flex 3401 is like kicking the door in; quick, powerful but might leave ya a bit sore.

Rupes/Boss machines are like picking the lock to get in; more elegant, quiet and less disruptive and less physically taxing but require more precision, technique.

Either way ya get thru the door...