PDA

View Full Version : New here... reading done... advise needed

Pages : [1] 2

Stockton2007
10-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Hi all - new to the forum. About 5 months ago I picked up a 2017 VW GTi in black pearl. The dealer did whatever they did when they prepped the car and I've washed it maybe twice since using Gold Class.

I don't see any major flaws but do see some minor water marks and swirls. I have been doing some reading and think i have a good plan for the exterior. Would like feedback and recommendations.

"Tools":

HF Dual Action Polisher (already have)
Microfiber towels (will be ordering)
Sheepskin wash mitts (will be ordering)
B&S 6" Pads - Yellow, Green, Blue, Black (will be ordering)

Product / Order of use:

Gold Class wash (already have, worth going with another product?)
Griots Clay w/ ONR (already have, worth going with another product?)
Menzerna SP3500 (w/ yellow or green pad)
IPA? Do i need this step? Read Menzerna polishes are oily.
Poor Boys Black Hole (w/ blue or black pad)
Collinite 845 (w/ black pad)
DG #972 as topper and quick detailer between washes

For wheels, I usually just clean with a towel and/or soft brush and top tires with a tire shine product. I plan on using the 845 on the wheels go forward though.
For glass, I use Stoners and, if needed, have used a "0000" steel wool for windshield wiper lines and mater marks.
For interior, I usually use a very diluted apc followed by Poor Boys Natural Look on all plastics and leather.

Still very much a newbie to this stuff but tried to do my research before posting. Have never done more than a wash, clay and liquid glass application. Feedback on "tools", products, order of use, etc are all welcome.

Thanks in advance.
-RJ

Bruno Soares
10-04-2017, 12:31 PM
I also have a 2017 GTI and the paint is quite hard. I think with SP3500 and a yellow/green pad you won't do much correction. You might need a 2500 with more aggressive pad. Depending on the damage even more cut.
I'm not a fan of waxes because they don't last long so I would go with a nice sealant or ceramic instead.
Gold Class wash is fine, there are other good ones out there but I don't think there's anything wrong to use that while you still have it and then look for something else if you're not happy.
Clay is clay so your griot's will be fine. ONR works well as a clay lube and also has many other uses.

With your car being black you'll have a harder time keeping it perfect. Set your expectations right or you'll go crazy.

Mike Phillips
10-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Hi all - new to the forum.

Hi Stocton2007,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I don't see any major flaws but do see some minor water marks and swirls.

I have been doing some reading and think i have a good plan for the exterior. Would like feedback and recommendations.

IPA? Do i need this step? Read Menzerna polishes are oily.

If you're using a car wax or most synthetic paint sealants you DON'T NEED to chemically strip the paint and most people that do probably mar the paint in the process.

Chemically stripping is process made popular by Sal Zaino and his Z1 and Z2 synthetic sealants. He recommended stripping the paint so the Z1 and Z2 could form a proper bond and then his process spread like wild fire over the blogosphere.

Here's the deal... if the manufacturer of the LSP you're going to use recommends it then do it, otherwise just wipe the last polishing step residue off and move onto the wax or sealant.

Poor Boys Black Hole (w/ blue or black pad)

Poorboy's says this is a glaze. When I've used it in the past in acted more like a sealant with abrasives? Assuming it's a glaze applying it after a Menzerna polish would be a redundant step. You can do it if you want but I would do a test section with the Black Hole Glaze to a section you've polished with Menzerna and see if there's any improvement. If "yes" then do to the entire car. If "no" then skip this step.

Collinite 845 (w/ black pad)
DG #972 as topper and quick detailer between washes

The above is good. Practice applying a thin coat of the #845 to the hood and wiping it off before applying to the entire car. Get a feel for how it wipes off.

For glass, I use Stoners and, if needed, have used a "0000" steel wool for windshield wiper lines and mater marks.

I never use steel on glass but that's just me. If there's gunk on the glass use the most aggressive polish you have on a foam pad and do it BEFORE you wash the car. Just buzz around the car and hit the glass.

See the pictures in post #87 on page 9 of this thread,

Pictures and Comments from the Wisconsin Roadshow Class - 2017 (http://tinyurl.com/ycvzebqv)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170829/354774fad1a9729b0a7e78bb2228893a.jpg

:)

DaveT435
10-04-2017, 12:50 PM
I would recommend a 5" backing plate and using 5.5" pads. I would recommend Menzerna FG 400 for a compound and Optimum HyperPolish for a polish. Warning, you're going to get dozens of different recommendations.

Kamakaz1961
10-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Welcome to AGO. If it were me I would follow Mike Phillips advice.

Stockton2007
10-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and you recomendations.

Good to know someone with the same model and color to learn the paint is on the hard side. I did read vw usually is for their blacks but then I read the mk7 was soft compared to prior generations.

This is a daily driver so a great looking daily is the goal, but not going to drive myself crazy knowing black can be difficult.

Ideally trying to have a solid balance of looks, protection, time needed and budget.

Considering sealing with all dg products too vs the 845 but ive heard protection is similar.

Bruno Soares
10-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Good to know someone with the same model and color to learn the paint is on the hard side. I did read vw usually is for their blacks but then I read the mk7 was soft compared to prior generations.

Mine is the carbon steel grey color. So it hides defects better than black :)

Stockton2007
10-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Mine is the carbon steel grey color. So it hides defects better than black :)

Ah, missed that. Thought you were black pearl too.

Stockton2007
10-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Mike - thanks for your reply. I will be trying your glass technique next time around. Also, I will be passing on the IPA unless specified but it doesn't appear any of the products I am considering recommend it.

I am also considering Optimum Polish II (with different pads) in lieu of the menzerma as it seems easy to use, versatile and has lots of great reviews. And then going straight to the 845. Thoughts doing this on black VW paint? Would i need something in between?

Wknd Dtlr
10-05-2017, 07:59 AM
I would recommend a 5" backing plate and using 5.5" pads.
I totally agree with the above, especially with this machine. To take it one step further, I would get the Griots vented backing plate.

Desertnate
10-05-2017, 08:10 AM
This is a daily driver so a great looking daily is the goal, but not going to drive myself crazy knowing black can be difficult.

Ideally trying to have a solid balance of looks, protection, time needed and budget.

Welcome.

I'm also a black pearl GTI owner who daily's the car, but mine is a MK6.

I found two things have helped me keep my car looking really good over the last four years of ownership.

1) Don't be afraid to let it get a little dirty. I know it might sound counter-intuitive, but constant wipe-downs or things like waterless washes when I didn't have time to do a proper bucket wash, led to lots of swirls and marring. In the depths of winter, I only do touchless washes to keep the salt at bay. Except for bird droppings, I won't clean or wash it unless I can do it gentle and do it right.

2) I started using a coating vs a sealant or wax. I was one of those who felt coatings were a gimmick until I tried one. I've found they keep the car cleaner longer due to dirt, dust and grime clinging less. Highway speed driving blows off dust and rain provides a nice free rinse. They also make it much easier to wash as dirt easily glides away with my wash mitt. I find this ease of cleaning to save the paint as well. My cars wearing coatings have much fewer self induced washing marks now they are wearing a coating than when I used a sealant over an equal length of time.

Stockton2007
10-05-2017, 08:21 AM
I totally agree with the above, especially with this machine. To take it one step further, I would get the Griots vented backing plate.

Thanks, I will look at this backing plate. I know this machine isn't the best choice but figured it couldn't hurt as a first time user. If anyone feels it is work moving up to a higher quality machine, please provide your suggestions.

Stockton2007
10-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Welcome.

I'm also a black pearl GTI owner who daily's the car, but mine is a MK6.

I found two things have helped me keep my car looking really good over the last four years of ownership.

1) Don't be afraid to let it get a little dirty. I know it might sound counter-intuitive, but constant wipe-downs or things like waterless washes when I didn't have time to do a proper bucket wash, led to lots of swirls and marring. In the depths of winter, I only do touchless washes to keep the salt at bay. Except for bird droppings, I won't clean or wash it unless I can do it gentle and do it right.

2) I started using a coating vs a sealant or wax. I was one of those who felt coatings were a gimmick until I tried one. I've found they keep the car cleaner longer due to dirt, dust and grime clinging less. Highway speed driving blows off dust and rain provides a nice free rinse. They also make it much easier to wash as dirt easily glides away with my wash mitt. I find this ease of cleaning to save the paint as well. My cars wearing coatings have much fewer self induced washing marks now they are wearing a coating than when I used a sealant over an equal length of time.

Thanks for the input and i understand what you are saying. If you saw the car now, you would know I am not afraid to let it get dirty, haha. Can you provide what products you use for compound, polish, etc? Also, I haven't read much on coating, which have you had success with and I will do some reading.

Desertnate
10-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the input and i understand what you are saying. If you saw the car now, you would know I am not afraid to let it get dirty, haha. Can you provide what products you use for compound, polish, etc? Also, I haven't read much on coating, which have you had success with and I will do some reading.

Here is what I'm using on it right now.

Clay - Pinacle XMT clay (brand is now McKee's 37), but any reputable clay will work
Compound - Blackfire SRC Compound
Polish - Blackfire SRC Polish
Lake Country Flat 5.5" polishing pads for my DA polisher
Shampoo - Currently using Sonax Car Wash Concentrate (not the glossing one sold here) but any reputable soap with lots of lubrication will do
Coating - McKee's 37 Paint Coating
Post-wash wipe down - Kenotek Showroom Shine
Trim Protectant - McKee's 37 Plastic Trim Resorer

A few notes:

- The Blackfire Products work really well as a two step process, but I'm honestly on the hunt for a one-step product that will take care of light swirls and finish LSP ready. The SRC Compound on a white pad is close, but I do notice an improvement in shine when I go back with the polish, so it's not quite there. The polish on an LC orange pad is also close, but sometimes isn't quite aggressive enough on the hard VW paint to get out all the marring. I'm thinking of trying some Sonax or Menzerna products next.

- The LC Flat pads work very well, but I received some sample Thin Pro pads a little while ago when they first came out and like them much better on my DA. I'll be changing my inventory through attrition going forward.

- McKee's 37 coating is a great learner coating. A great value, the bottle covers multiple cars, very easy to apply, seems to be pretty durable, and looks great. I'm thinking of moving to other coatings simply to experiment, but I am VERY content with the McKee's and it will be the product of choice for my other family vehicles.

- I've done post wash on the McKee's coating with both the McKee's 37 High Gloss Detail Spray and the Kenotek. While the McKee's product is very good, I like the Kenotek better. You really can't go wrong with either.

Bruno Soares
10-05-2017, 09:13 AM
When I got my MK7 I used a 7424XP with 5 inch backing plate. 5.5" Lake Country Thin Pro pads. I used orange pad with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. Then used white pad with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Then black pad to apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. On the trim I used Wolfgang exterior trim sealant. I have quite a few other brands but these products I used worked great on the GTI and it came out great. It's still going strong and it's been over 5 months. Later this month I'll give it a light polish and re-apply the sealant to get it winter ready.

My car didn't have many swirls from factory, I didn't let the dealer wash it before delivery. But what it had did not come off with just the white pad and I had to step up a little in power because the paint is hard. My plan is to use up the products I have and next year switch to ceramic coating.