PDA

View Full Version : Question on Essence

BTLew81
10-02-2017, 04:41 PM
I am thinking about doing winter prep in the next few weeks before it gets too cold. My car currently has 885 (476) on it. I was thinking of doing a quick clean up with essence and then topping with 885. I've read some posts that say to use a paint cleaner first, then essence, and then the topper. The thought is that essence might not remove the underlying wax, hence a paint cleaner or light polish first.

does anyone have a definitive answer on this? Dont really want to do three steps if I could use HD speed or griots finishing sealant and then go right to 885.

Thanks!

TTQ B4U
10-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Essence is a polish and a sealant aka an AIO that is also a base for SiO2 Coatings. I see no reason to use a seperate polish or paint cleaner first. I would also add that IMO I wouldn't put Collinite 845 over it. I would personally use CarPro Reload if you're not going to simply apply a coating. The latter being the real honest answer as to what I would do.

custmsprty
10-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Essence is a polish and a sealant aka an AIO that is also a base for SiO2 Coatings. I see no reason to use a seperate polish or paint cleaner first. I would also add that IMO I wouldn't put Collinite 845 over it. I would personally use CarPro Reload if you're not going to simply apply a coating. The latter being the real honest answer as to what I would do.

:dblthumb2::dblthumb2::iagree::iagree::dblthumb2:: dblthumb2:

BTLew81
10-02-2017, 06:48 PM
The reason for collinite would be durability over reload, plus I’ve got a ton of 156 to use up. However I gues I could get some carpel rinseless and reload/cure.

Any idea in reload durability over essence?

MattPersman
10-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Should get around 4-6 months depending how aggressive your washes are. Pretty much the same as collinite. I never get much durability out of it like others claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AutowerxDetailing
10-02-2017, 07:53 PM
I am thinking about doing winter prep in the next few weeks before it gets too cold. My car currently has 885 (476) on it. I was thinking of doing a quick clean up with essence and then topping with 885. I've read some posts that say to use a paint cleaner first, then essence, and then the topper. The thought is that essence might not remove the underlying wax, hence a paint cleaner or light polish first.

does anyone have a definitive answer on this? Dont really want to do three steps if I could use HD speed or griots finishing sealant and then go right to 885.

Thanks!

Essence is perfect for what you're planning. The fine diminishing abrasives in the product will surely adequately clean and polish the paintwork while the SiO2 resins will bond with and work into the pores of the surface providing an ultra glossy base to top with whatever you like. IMO there is no need for a separate polishing or cleaning step, unless you are attempting more aggressive paint correction beyond what Essence is capable of.

BTLew81
10-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Nick...do you feel topping with collinite or 1000p would be a bad idea?

AutowerxDetailing
10-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Top it with whatever you prefer! I personally love the looks of Essence / Essence+ / Reload. The gloss this combo creates is ridiculous.

Ronin47
10-03-2017, 03:24 AM
Top it with whatever you prefer! I personally love the looks of Essence / Essence+ / Reload. The gloss this combo creates is ridiculous.

I have been using that combo trio for the past year, no other sealant or even coating looks as good. Water behavior is of a coating or better too.

RippyD
10-03-2017, 08:29 AM
You guys are applying Essence+ over Essence and then topping with reload? Interesting. I thought Essence+ was only meant to go over coatings.

Ronin47
10-03-2017, 08:35 AM
You guys are applying Essence+ over Essence and then topping with reload? Interesting. I thought Essence+ was only meant to go over coatings.

Essence Plus like Essence is a very versatile product. Most tend to stress too much about Essence being a primer and forget its also a finishing polish and an AIO. Likewise people tend to stress on Essence Plus as a coating repair agent but forget it also works as a glaze and standalone sealant too.

RippyD
10-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Makes sense. Given the short life expectancy of it and the cost it seems like there are better sealant/glaze options.

Ronin47
10-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Makes sense. Given the short life expectancy of it and the cost it seems like there are better sealant/glaze options.

Used as a combo it lasts 9 months and is glossier than any sealant or coating I have come across.

RippyD
10-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info. Will have to give it a try.