PDA

View Full Version : CarPro PERL over other tire coatings ??

Pages : [1] 2

Zune
10-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Hi guys,
I've used TufShine & more recently McKee's 37 Tire Coating for a long time & really like the long-lasting results on my tires. Having said that, the tire cleaning/prep is fairly lengthy & labor intensive, & I was hoping to figure out a way to make the shine last longer before having to re-treat the tires (about every 6-8 weeks). I recently picked up some CarPro PERL for my new Audi SQ5 for use in the engine bay & the interior plastic surfaces. I realize PERL is often used as a tire treatment as well, & I was wondering if anyone had ever used it ON TOP of something like TufShine or McKee's to see if it would last longer? I plan on doing a trial in the next couple of weeks (& will post my results), but just wondering if anyone's tried it?

Cheers,

Al

VISITOR
10-02-2017, 02:08 PM
i would just apply one type of tire dressing/coating and not apply anything over it. you can always apply two coats if needed...

Eldorado2k
10-02-2017, 02:44 PM
I haven't tried it with Perl, but the 1 time I tried it with Meguiars Hyper Dressing it totally killed the coating.

Bobby B.
10-02-2017, 03:23 PM
CarPro PERL is a great product. It looks great on tires but doesn't last that long. I've never tried applying PERL on top of a tire coating. I think PERL will damage the tire coating and cause it to deteriorate, crack and maybe flake off.

Now I want to get a junk tire and give this a test.

Riff
10-02-2017, 06:39 PM
In the few tests that I’ve tried on bumper trim and tires with 1,2,3 and 4 coats, PERL washed right off. Like, zero durability.

I doubt it would help durability on another dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

The Guz
10-02-2017, 07:46 PM
I just tried Perl on top of McKee's tire coating that is months old. Just to see what would happen. Within a few weeks Perl was gone without damaging the tire coating. Perl didn't do much to the look other than darken it a bit.

mwoolfso
10-05-2017, 01:02 PM
I don't think there is a water based product that can get you more than 6-8 weeks on a tire. I get the level of effort can be significant but every 2 months is not a bad thing at all.

yakky
10-05-2017, 06:09 PM
I don't think there is a water based product that can get you more than 6-8 weeks on a tire. I get the level of effort can be significant but every 2 months is not a bad thing at all.
6 weeks? I'm happy with six days! Actually two or three drives in a rain and they are done.

Calendyr
10-06-2017, 09:29 PM
I doubt a water dressing would damage a coating. Those are usually acrylic based, so they are in effect paint. But I could be wrong. The question is, why apply a dressing over a coating?

8 weeks from a water based dressing? You must live somewhere that has no rain! Usually a week or two is what I expect with Optimum Opti-Bond. I believe Perl is about the same durability.

When my bottle is done, I am not sure what I will try. Maybe hyper dressing as a concentrate. I think it should be a bit less expensive and give about the same durability. Or I could switch to a silicon based dressing like Meg's all-season. Really not sure. Clients never ever mention preference for dressing, so I might as well give them something that lasts longer...

What do you guys think?

PaulMys
10-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Just to post my Perl experience:

I get 4-5 weeks of decent-looking tires from Perl. Even through a few rainy days here & there.

Maybe it lasts longer on different tire brands/rubber compositions? Maybe in the way one preps the tires?

Not sure. I believe every word of you guys saying Perl doesn't last in your experience. I however have found it to last the month or so as I stated.

DogRescuer
10-07-2017, 06:34 AM
I enjoy Optibond

Sent from my SM-T310 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

luckydawg
10-07-2017, 02:41 PM
I have used PERL on tires and my opinion is that it is OK.That said I was amped up about the car pro line a couple years back but have since cooled on their products for various reasons that I really dont want to go into- but will say that its mostly a performance issue.

I personally HATE the shiny wet look- the look I like is the look that that AMMO tire gel gives after about 24 hours

DogRescuer
10-07-2017, 05:34 PM
I have used PERL on tires and my opinion is that it is OK.That said I was amped up about the car pro line a couple years back but have since cooled on their products for various reasons that I really dont want to go into- but will say that its mostly a performance issue.

I personally HATE the shiny wet look- the look I like is the look that that AMMO tire gel gives after about 24 hours
I can't argue with that.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

VISITOR
10-07-2017, 11:39 PM
water-based dressings typically don't last a long time anyway so if it lasts until the next wash (from a week to a month) i'm fine with that..

The Guz
10-08-2017, 01:01 AM
water-based dressings typically don't last a long time anyway so if it lasts until the next wash (from a week to a month) i'm fine with that..

Maybe we are just spoiled with the lack of rain here in So Cal. Perl has been holding up on my brothers tires for about a month so far and it could easily go another 2-3 weeks. My brother likes the look. I have switched from a tire coating to Perl on my dad's car and it responds better to Perl than it did with either McKee's tire coating or Tuf Shine tire coating. The goodyear rubber seems to like Perl. Easy to reapply another coat within a few weeks with a simple clean.

I actually started with a base layer of undiluted Perl and have been reapplying with a fresh coat at 1:1 every few weeks.