PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding Ford Bronco (pictures) EXTREME orange peel

mwoywod
10-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Hey guys, I don't usually take pictures of my work because I never want to misrepresent. Truth is, photo's can be misleading so I generally never take any pictures.

But, I've been wet sanding a red ford bronco this week that was repainted with single stage paint. It had such severe orange peel (paint texture) prior to sanding that I couldn't help but take before and after pictures.

Those of you who don't have much experience wet-sanding or don't understand what the purpose is, these photos provide an extreme example of a vehicle with heavy orange peel!

Have a great weekend!

Before

After

I actually sanded and polished the entire bronco but I just took pictures of the hood which was the worst area.

fightnews
10-01-2017, 02:51 PM
I have orange peel. My car has chit paint but it's factory clear coat so I can't sand it. Nice job kid.

fightnews
10-01-2017, 02:52 PM
I do think for certain I greatly improved the look of the orange peel on a couple panels with m101 and a microfiber polishing pad

fly07sti
10-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Nice improvement. Did you block it or da it?

mwoywod
10-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys!

fightnews - Yeah, I do not doubt that M101 paired with a microfiber pad is capable of removing at least a certain degree of orange peel.

fly07sti - Thank you, I'll share my procedure

-Block sand everything with Mirka 1500 wet/dry paper

-Wet sanding with Mirka Abralon 2000grit sanding discs (6" & 3" disc)

-Wet sanding with Trizact 3000grit sanding discs (6" & 3" disc)

I used a 6" pneumatic 3m sander with a 3/32" orbit and a pistol grip 3" chicago pneumatic sander (both tools equipped with the 3m interface pad)

Removing my sanding marks:

-Rotary/LC Lambswool/3D 501 cutting compound
I tried both M101 and Menzerna SHC300 prior to 3D 501 cutting compound but I was removing paint at such a rapid rate with the other two compounds that I couldn't even finish an entire section pass before my pad was completely completely clogged with paint so the short buffing cycle of 3D 501 was actually really beneficial.

-Rupes 15 MKII/yellow uro-tec polishing pad/HD Polish+
For tight areas I used the griot's paired w/ 3" backing plate/ uro-tec yellow 3"/HD Polish+

I did used 12% IPA to inspect the paint after cutting with the Rotary but did not use IPA after finishing w/ HD Polish+
-Final step was Optimum Car Wax

fly07sti
10-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Thanks for sharing your process. I've been really enjoying the Mirka stuff the last couple of years.