PDA

View Full Version : Best pad for buffing wax off?

marc515
10-01-2017, 06:52 AM
I'm tired of using a microfiber cloth to bring the waxed surface to a nice shine, and am looking for a good pad for my Griots Orbital Polisher to buff the wax off and bring it to a nice shine.

I currently use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Insight appreciated; thank you,.....marc

dlc95
10-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Microfiber bonnets over a dense pad work great.

Paul A.
10-01-2017, 09:53 AM
The problem I've encountered is that bonnets used over soft pads tend to build up with wax residue and don't last more than about 1 or 2 panels or sections. Yes, they do work but I continue to use a good, plush MF towel and flipping to a clean side. With that said, I do use a lot of clean towels too but, for me, it's faster.

Another point I think about is that I don't really need "machine action" to remove wax or sealant residue. I just need to gently remove anything left on the paint other than dried wax or sealant.

howardm4
10-11-2017, 07:08 AM
Last time I applied Collinite 476, I ended up using a microfiber to get it off and then made a 2nd pass w/ a microfiber bonnet over a lamb wool pad. It seemed to make a nicer 'deeper' gloss. That way, the bonnet doesn't clog up so quickly. Get several, they're cheap.

Paul A.
10-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Hey now, that sounds like an interesting twist on my "no machine"removal mindset! I like the idea of that and may try a test section of it on the wife's daily driver next Collonite application.

I will remove it with my standard MF wipe offs and then try to buff out a little more gloss with a MF bonnet on my PC.

I'll evaluate whether that extra final step is worth it. Sounds like you got some benefit from it, Howard.