PDA

View Full Version : Is there an OTC product similar to Sonax or Ironx?

bcgreen
09-30-2017, 08:21 AM
I about to do a undercarriage detail job along with doing the wheel well area that accumulates alot of brake dust. Looking for a product that will get cut through the brake dust quickly.

RippyD
09-30-2017, 09:33 AM
If you're looking for a wheel cleaner that also removes iron that is available OTC, you may be able to find Groit's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner, Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner, or Jay Leno's Garage Wheel Cleaner locally. Note that Duragloss has an iron remover but doesn't change color.

Since those areas aren't very visible why not use car wash soap or an all-purpose-cleaner. I wouldn't bother with iron removal in those areas.

Note that IronX is an iron remover, not a cleaner.

bcgreen
09-30-2017, 10:51 AM
If you're looking for a wheel cleaner that also removes iron that is available OTC, you may be able to find Groit's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner, Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner, or Jay Leno's Garage Wheel Cleaner locally. Note that Duragloss has an iron remover but doesn't change color.

Since those areas aren't very visible why not use car wash soap or an all-purpose-cleaner. I wouldn't bother with iron removal in those areas.

Note that IronX is an iron remover, not a cleaner.

I'm not doing the wheels, but the wheel well, springs, shocks, suspension, all in the area that receives a lot of brake dust.

RippyD
09-30-2017, 11:04 AM
Got it. You asked about products similar to Sonax or IronX. I assume you meant Sonax wheel cleaners. I recommended those three assuming you wanted a wheel cleaner with iron remover that might be found locally.

For cleaning wheel wells and suspension I would go with car wash soap, maybe more concentrated, or an all-purpose cleaner, or a grease remover where needed. I've never had any issue getting wheel wells clean with car wash soap and a brush.

Edit: here's a post from a couple of years ago with some expert recommendations (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/94671-best-chemical-cleaning-underbody-wheel-wells-etc.html). Please ignore what I wrote and read this.

mwoolfso
10-02-2017, 05:23 AM
Mothers Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner is one of the best around IMHO. I have other products like Pinnacle Wheel Cleaner Concentrate but I only started using it this year and the jury is still out.