PDA

View Full Version : Detailing and Clear Bra

CAMAROZL1
09-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Hello everyone,
Long time since I posted and have question for you detailers. I buying a new car, Tesla S, now a days I don't have time to detail like I want but still love waxing and washing my vehicles. Im looking at getting clear bra for my car to prevent road damage and protection. Went and got some information and learned that cannuba wax is a no no on the clear bra. Gentleman told me the wax damages the clear bra and will leave brown spots due to the sun hitting it. (Im not sure about this info so any info can help guys) also, if anyone has used a clear bra how do you like it? did you get your car detailed BEFORE clear bra? any issues? Only getting front, hood, and back of car clear bra due to price of it and still need to protect rest of vehicle, I'm thinking opti coat again like my other vehicles. Any advice on clear bra good or bad will be great guys. Any other questions feel free to ask?

FUNX650
09-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Went and got some information and
learned that cannuba wax is a no no
on the clear bra. Gentleman told me
the wax damages the clear bra and
will leave brown spots due to the sun
hitting it. (Im not sure about this info
so any info can help guys)

Any other questions feel free to ask?
•Each brand of clear bra/Paint Protection Film
(PPF) has its own, let's say: idiosyncrasies.
-With which name brand of PPF is the
above gentleman associated?

Bob

CAMAROZL1
09-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Suntech is brand for clear bar

TTQ B4U
09-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Hello everyone,
Long time since I posted and have question for you detailers. I buying a new car, Tesla S, now a days I don't have time to detail like I want but still love waxing and washing my vehicles. Im looking at getting clear bra for my car to prevent road damage and protection. Went and got some information and learned that cannuba wax is a no no on the clear bra. Gentleman told me the wax damages the clear bra and will leave brown spots due to the sun hitting it. (Im not sure about this info so any info can help guys) also, if anyone has used a clear bra how do you like it? did you get your car detailed BEFORE clear bra? any issues? Only getting front, hood, and back of car clear bra due to price of it and still need to protect rest of vehicle, I'm thinking opti coat again like my other vehicles. Any advice on clear bra good or bad will be great guys. Any other questions feel free to ask?

Have had clear PPF's on my vehicles for nearly 25 years with no issues. Have never heard issues with waxes like that but it could be brand specific. I've use Xpel, 3M and now Premium Shield brands with no issues. It is good to correct the areas prior to the application but in the end, the adhesive and material will hide minor swirls. That said, I would still correct the surface prior. Once installed, it can be coated without issue.

In terms of areas to cover, I do not like nor recommend PPF'ing more than just the areas of impact. Film does reduce gloss and will over time show wear as the clear coat on the films aren't as durable as the clear on the paint. Do the front clip, hood, leading edge of roof, pillars and rocker panels. Rear bumper is nice as luggage can scratch that area, etc. I also had the inside of my door sills done to protect them from my wife's shoes and kids getting in and out, etc. Film is cheaper to replace an easier to do than paint.

Good luck.

AutowerxDetailing
09-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Suntech is brand for clear bar

Suntek Ultra is alleged to be the glossiest and clearest self-healing film available at the moment according to many in the industry. Do you know if they are using a plotter-cut kit or are they going to be using bulk film and manually cutting each edge? The reason I ask is because usually the pre-cut kits don't offer the best coverage and panel edges won't be wrapped. Something to consider when shopping for a PPF installer.

HUMP DIESEL
09-29-2017, 06:42 AM
If the wax has Naphtha in it, it can damage the film.

HUMP

CAMAROZL1
09-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Suntek Ultra is alleged to be the glossiest and clearest self-healing film available at the moment according to many in the industry. Do you know if they are using a plotter-cut kit or are they going to be using bulk film and manually cutting each edge? The reason I ask is because usually the pre-cut kits don't offer the best coverage and panel edges won't be wrapped. Something to consider when shopping for a PPF installer.

They are pre cut pieces. I did see a vehicle they are working on and they put the clear bra fully around the edges

CAMAROZL1
09-29-2017, 02:09 PM
So could I couldn't use my WG Fusion wax then correct?

FUNX650
09-29-2017, 02:49 PM
So could I couldn't use my WG
Fusion wax then correct?
•In order to not invalidate
the PPFs' warranties:
-I use the maintenance products that
the PPF brands' CERTIFIED INSTALLERS
recommend. Takes the guess-work out
of the product selection process, IMO.

Bob

CAMAROZL1
09-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Ill go with that then. Thank you Bob!!!

Killerheroin
10-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Just to give everyone some background on Clear Bra’s as I work in the the film coating industry. Clear Bra’s are urathane films so they can can be polished and top coated. You have to watch on what you use to polish them and what you use to top coat them as it can change the properties of the film, especially what they call sel healing films. Self healing films have a non cross linked layer that allows heat to reflow out the top surface. This is a great feature as depending on the temperature that they set the reflow at you can remove scratches in PPF with a hair dryer, heat gun, the lates I seen is hot water.

The key is read the manufactures care instructions and speak with trained installers as they will have the most experience. Remember one thing whatever you put on this film you want it to be a flexible coating if it is not flexible the coating will expand and contract at a different rate compared to the film.