PDA

View Full Version : Legal Issues

Pages : [1] 2 3

Compulsive Detail
09-27-2017, 09:59 PM
Hey guys just had a question here, has anyone been served into small claims court over damages that happened after the fact, I detailed a guy gt500 buffed and what not. Was a cash transaction no invoice no contract nothing. Four days later he text me saying a vinyl stripe was messed up near the cowl. I offered to take a look at it even thought i knew i did not have the buffer anywhere near it. Offered to help him out and fix it when i wasnt busy hes not thretening to sue me in small claims for $1000 or settle out of court for $300. Any Advice? I see it as he looked over his property when i released it thanked me and was very happy with the work done....the car even won best in show.....4 days later tells me he sees a small almost hairline split in the vinyl.

Cruzscarwash
09-28-2017, 12:21 AM
Hey guys just had a question here, has anyone been served into small claims court over damages that happened after the fact, I detailed a guy gt500 buffed and what not. Was a cash transaction no invoice no contract nothing. Four days later he text me saying a vinyl stripe was messed up near the cowl. I offered to take a look at it even thought i knew i did not have the buffer anywhere near it. Offered to help him out and fix it when i wasnt busy hes not thretening to sue me in small claims for $1000 or settle out of court for $300. Any Advice? I see it as he looked over his property when i released it thanked me and was very happy with the work done....the car even won best in show.....4 days later tells me he sees a small almost hairline split in the vinyl.Did you take pictures to document the work done?? Did I do a complete documented walk around before you started the work??

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Compulsive Detail
09-28-2017, 12:24 AM
I have pictures of the car after but not the "exact spot" its on a crease there the hood and the cowl meet some where i wouldn't buff...........due to it being on an edge He inspected the car before i left, said all was well and then contacted me 6 days later saying something was scratched....Who knows what happened in those 6 days between when i detailed his car and he saw the alleged damage

Compulsive Detail
09-28-2017, 12:27 AM

Here is the pic of the Alleged damage that cost "$1000" an 1/8th inch hairline split in vinyl.....

Compulsive Detail
09-28-2017, 12:31 AM
Heres a few pics of after it was completed. The sad part is i work on way nicer cars then this, its always the ones who "act" like the have money are usually the issue. It was a cash transaction he didn't want a recipt or invoice. His wife hates his car. So was cash only. It left my posession on July 25th 2017 and i was notified on July 31st that there was a small hairline split, How do i know after it left my posession that it didn't happen and either way theres no way vinyl is worth $1000 especially on a Orig Stripe Delete car.

MattPersman
09-28-2017, 05:51 AM
Other than this thread how does he have proof that you detailed it for the judge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlc95
09-28-2017, 05:57 AM
At the car wash, all claims had to be made before leaving the property.

Never had it happen detailing though.

RippyD
09-28-2017, 07:39 AM
Not a lawyer. He can take you to court, of course and you never know what a judge would do. I think your story is compelling. You know what you're doing and can explain why you never would have touched that area.

Bruno Soares
09-28-2017, 07:52 AM
Looks like he attempted to clean his windshield at a gas station and used their squeegee and those usually have a metal frame. Then he hit the vinyl with the side and did that damage. No way you did it while detailing.

DetailKitty
09-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Other than this thread how does he have proof that you detailed it for the judge?

I like this.

But if you do say you detailed it, I would state that the customer looked the car over at delivery and had no complaints.
You cannot say what happened in the 4-6 days after delivery when it was out of your possession and back with the owner.

Cruzscarwash
09-28-2017, 10:51 AM
I use a generic inspection sheet I made up that they sign on pick up just in case this happens and I take pictures 10 minimum of before and after

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

DETAILROOKIE
09-28-2017, 11:06 AM
If you offered to help him and fix it, then that should be it. The fact that he is threatening to sue you after you already offered to help him fix it means that his wife found out and is pissed so he is trying to recoup some money!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

custmsprty
09-28-2017, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't fix or offer to fix it, you didn't do it. It'll cost him more to file a case even in small claims court. Just don't send him any texts or leave vmails that can be used against you in a court of law.

fightnews
09-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Hey guys just had a question here, has anyone been served into small claims court over damages that happened after the fact, I detailed a guy gt500 buffed and what not. Was a cash transaction no invoice no contract nothing. Four days later he text me saying a vinyl stripe was messed up near the cowl. I offered to take a look at it even thought i knew i did not have the buffer anywhere near it. Offered to help him out and fix it when i wasnt busy hes not thretening to sue me in small claims for $1000 or settle out of court for $300. Any Advice? I see it as he looked over his property when i released it thanked me and was very happy with the work done....the car even won best in show.....4 days later tells me he sees a small almost hairline split in the vinyl.
Tell him see you in court sounds like a shakedown. Talking about settling out when there's not even a case yet. Tell him you are counter suing for defamation and emotional damages.

ducksfan
09-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Yeah, just let it lie. Probably 90+ percent of the people who say they're going to take someone to court, don't.

Oh and I would document in a dedicated notebook everything that has happened to this point and any contact he has with you in the future. I would also record any conversations you have (notifying him your doing so if your state law requires.).

One more thing. The primary thing a judge is looking for if you ever end up there is lies. Don't get caught in a lie; take the opportunity to walk the other guy into one.