PDA

View Full Version : Dealership detailing

Edi25
09-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Okay so I got offered a job to work at dealership and he ask me what I would like to get paid and said isn't afraid to pay good as long the work is good.
He gave me option of paying me per car
Or paying by the hour
He said there never any down time and I'd always have car to do
Soo what should I price myself at I don't want sell my self cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

KirkH
09-27-2017, 12:17 PM
I would go per car myself. Then you are not tied to The Man's timeclock. In my area, I believe they pay $85/car so try to get more than that!

AutowerxDetailing
09-27-2017, 12:46 PM
How I price wholesale work primarily depends on the consistency of condition of the vehicles they want me to detail and the scope of the work they require.

I have one account that wants all their new inventory coated. Since everything is new, perfection is not important (industrial vehicles), and all vehicle models are more or less the same size I gave them a standard per vehicle price.

I have another account that is mostly prepping new luxury vehicles for delivery. Most of the cars are super easy, and their guys wash and prep them for me usually. But sometimes I'll have to prep my own cars or perform extensive correction on some or all of the vehicle. Since the scope of work is highly variable an hourly rate made the most sense for this particular account.

You could always do a short term contract for a few months to determine how consistent the vehicles will be and if you notice many of them are requiring additional man hours to complete you can then adjust pricing accordingly.

Edit: I'll add that my "wholesale" hourly rate is the same as my "retail" hourly rate. And per piece rates are just based on the average time it takes to perform the job x my hourly rate. IMO there should never be a discount given simply because one business is feeding you consistent work. You could easily feed yourself consistent work by leaving your schedule open for retail clients. If you discount your rates to fill your schedule with discounted dealer work you will be unable to schedule more profitable retail clients that will grow your business with repeat business and referrals and you'll end up trapped in wholesale hell.