PDA

View Full Version : Spray Sealant Streaking/Cloudiness - Need Help!

JeffW
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I've been going the UPP/UPPS route on my new auto, a Royal Blue Pearl 06 Civic Sedan. Had 3 layers of UPP on it going into this weekend, then decided to put a couple layers of UPPS on (after bathing the car, of course). I followed the generally accepted guidelines of waiting 12+ hours for the UPPS to cure.

So I took the car out of the garage this afternoon to check it out and noticed on the hood what seemed like some streaking and cloudiness. It's pretty noticable - yuck!

I applied the UPPS pretty liberally - probably 4 squirts for the hood then with the plush side of a Cobra MF spread the liquid over the hood until it pretty much was gone. Flipped the towel and wiped a little to remove the remaining UPPS; I did not, however, buff the surface very much, rather just enough until it became super slick. I will add that it has rained a lot lately and the temp has gone way up, consequently, there has been a lot of moisture in the air even though the car has been in the garage for 4 days straight.

Anyone have any recommendations to get rid of the streaks/cloudiness?

joe.p
03-13-2006, 06:31 PM
I've been going the UPP/UPPS route on my new auto, a Royal Blue Pearl 06 Civic Sedan. Had 3 layers of UPP on it going into this weekend, then decided to put a couple layers of UPPS on (after bathing the car, of course). I followed the generally accepted guidelines of waiting 12+ hours for the UPPS to cure.

So I took the car out of the garage this afternoon to check it out and noticed on the hood what seemed like some streaking and cloudiness. It's pretty noticable - yuck!

I applied the UPPS pretty liberally - probably 4 squirts for the hood then with the plush side of a Cobra MF spread the liquid over the hood until it pretty much was gone. Flipped the towel and wiped a little to remove the remaining UPPS; I did not, however, buff the surface very much, rather just enough until it became super slick. I will add that it has rained a lot lately and the temp has gone way up, consequently, there has been a lot of moisture in the air even though the car has been in the garage for 4 days straight.

Anyone have any recommendations to get rid of the streaks/cloudiness?
Jeff if you have some S & W try it. I had the exact problem with streaking a few weeks ago,but i beleive for me anyway it was due to the cold weather.

cwcad
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
You might consider using a less liberal approach to the application. then wipe on. Use a second MF towels to dry completely. Any hazing that has appeared on my vehicle is because of the liberal application and not completely drying the area.

JeffW
03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
cwcad - I was thinking the same thing; that I either applied too much or maybe there was too much moisture in the air from all the rain outside. I always wipe until the surface is dry, so it doesn't seem like I am leaving excess on the surface. Next time I'll cut the amount in half and see if does any better.

joe.p - I'll try the S&W and see if that helps.

Thanks!

JeffW

ScottB
03-13-2006, 11:26 PM
I have also found that temp changes can provide some light cloudiness or streaking if done while sealant is curing. My first line of attack is to wipe the surface with some distilled water on a microfiber. A QD would also work in a pinch (just dont use one with wax or sealant in it also). Let us know what happens !

BlkTac05
03-13-2006, 11:45 PM
The less is more approach is definately the way to go with all products. You might even want to use a mf with a shorter nap to it for removal. Sometimes when I use a super plush mf, I get a little "cloudiness" after removing wax/sealants/qd's. For instance........When I qd with Crystal Mist using a super plush mf, it does "cloud" a bit on my black paint. A good quality ,short napped mf does the trick everytime!

MasterShineBoy
03-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Next time leave your car in the sun after each coat, it is supposed to help cure time. My guess is the streaking was caused by not allowign the sealant to fully cure.

JeffW
03-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies and help... I think it's a combination of applying the product too thick and also the high moisture/humidity in the air resulting from the ton of rain we got over those few days (nasty warm front moved in, followed by a nasty cold front a couple days later).

Next time I'll use a shorter nap MF and apply less product.

I did S&W the hood last night, and when the sun comes up I'll let you know if that helped.

JeffW
03-14-2006, 09:41 PM

I did S&W the hood last night, and when the sun comes up I'll let you know if that helped.

FYI - Apparently the S&W worked - no more streakiness or cloudiness. :p

;) Thanks for the help guys.