PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor wants a detail

h8dirtycars
09-26-2017, 04:12 PM
My neighbor asked me to detail the exterior his brand new BMW for the weekend, "since I know what I'm doing".

I told him I only know what I'm doing as far my own cars, and I've never done anyone else's. And that everything I learned, I learned from here.

He said he wanted it polished. I explained to him he really doesn't need it polished, as polishing is basically removing swirls and scratches. I've seen the car in the sun and it doesn't seem to have any paint problems, I mean it's like 2 or 3 months old. Don't know if he did the new car detail routine. I think the cars an M4. It's a weird kind of yellowish mustard color, if I'm describing it correctly.

He basically wants the bugs the bugs off the front and looking good for the weekend. I know that's not a detail, but I told him he could pull into my garage and that I have products that we can clean his car up without swirling and scratching it. He had mentioned the carbon fiber, and I told him I would check here to make sure I cleaned and waxed properly before we touched that area.

Anyway, that's my question. How to clean and wax the carbon fiber on a brand new neighbors BMW without jacking it up. Any help is of course appreciated.
I'm also going to tell him to register here, because it'll only help him, even if he wants to pay people to do his car.

Paul A.
09-26-2017, 08:14 PM
That's exactly how I started out many years ago. I had a neighbor with a black Mercedes who saw me taking care of my car so meticulously and finally said one day "I'll pay ya to do mine!". I jumped all over it and then a few other neighbors wanted servicing and...that seems like so long ago now. I remember using my PC 7336 DA, some old Einszett polishes, Glanz sealant etc. and thought I was knocking it out of the park. The neighbor was amazed at the results.

I have a carbon fiber trunk lid on my BMW (aftermarket). I polish it the same as my paint as it is a clearcoated panel. The new M4 have a super high quality clear on the roof panels and it corrects and polishes out just like paint. Well, because it is paint...just clear. As far as the color, I think it was called Austin Yellow or maybe Phoenix Yellow. It's a pretty striking color!

For bug guts on the nose, soak em pretty good first. I take a towel or two, soak it up and don't wring out. I spray the nose with a 1:4 APC:water mix and drape the towels over the nose while I clean the wheels, tire sidewalls and wells. The bug guts soften up pretty good and usually come right off when rinsed. I hit the nose again with my regular wash and whatever may be left most times comes off. The most stubborn remains get clayed off.

I say go for it. I'm sure he'll be happy with the results. It's no different than doing your own car and you know how to do that.

minerigger
09-26-2017, 08:15 PM
No time like the present to take the plunge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DaveT435
09-26-2017, 08:24 PM
You just polish like paint. You'll find it's actually a little harder to correct any imperfections if there are any.
I asked this question a couple weeks ago before working on an M3.

h8dirtycars
09-26-2017, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys. You really helped out.

And Paul, you hit the nail on the head. He told me it's Austin Yellow.

chet31
09-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Just by reading this forum and working on your own cars, you are probably in the top 0.1% of people in your area that could work on his car. If he's dying for a polish, just do a finishing polish, it will add a bit of pop to the clear coat. I have a BMW, M205 and Menz SF3800 work great to spruce things up.

JHL88
09-26-2017, 11:35 PM
treat the carbon fiber just like you would paint. if he doesn't technically need a polish.. just use a cleansing polish/non abrasive polish to humor him.

h8dirtycars
09-27-2017, 08:43 AM
If I see something that needs a spot touch up with my GG 6", this is what I have on hand:
The Megs consumer line, Swirl X, Scratch X 2.0 & Ultimate Compound.
A small bottle of Megs 105
GG Correcting Cream
and LC Thin Pro Black, White, Gray, and Orange pads.

My next purchase is a Cleansing Polish and AIO. For the AIO I was thinking of the 3D AAT 505, but for now have to use what's on hand.

DetailKitty
09-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Carob fiber is tough... go over it like you would the paint. My husband's car has a TON of carbon fiber. It polishes up really nice with the same pads as I use on the paint.

For an AIO I really recommend HD Speed, CarPro Essence or Megs Ultra Polishing Wax (D166). I love them all. I feel like the Megs has a bit more cut to it. Just my 2 cents.
Have fun and get detailing!

minerigger
09-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Tried to get some d166 in the 16oz the other day and autogeek is out of stock fyi

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

h8dirtycars
09-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks, I'm going to keep those in mind. I like CarPro stuff, so I'll probably go with that.

DetailKitty
09-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Thanks, I'm going to keep those in mind. I like CarPro stuff, so I'll probably go with that.

Reload works great on top of it. That is the combo I currently have on my car.

h8dirtycars
09-27-2017, 02:13 PM
10-4. Thanks very much for the tip.