PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for winter, 48 hours - 2 applications of Ult Fast Finish

Don M
09-24-2017, 09:36 AM
I gave myself a long weekend since Monday is my birthday (51) and my wife is taking care of her grandmother this weekend, as long as I have my chores done, the rest of the time I can play with my car.

Friday I did a good wash on the car w/Meg's Gold Class, sheeted the water off and dried it with microfibers and Ult Quick Detailer. Once everything was dry, the first coat of UFF was applied, and the car put away in the garage.

Fast forward to today and the car comes out (before the sun even rises) and the car gets "dusted off" with lots of Ult Quick Detailer and lots of microfibers - it really wasn't dirty, having been enclosed in the garage, but I could 'sense' the dust was there.

The sun still hadn't come up so I began the 2nd application of Ult Fast Finish. Just as I was finishing the front and rear ends, the sun came up over the trees and I thought some pics were in order - since I haven't posted any in a while.

Now I haven't done anything to the Camaro since I first got the Detailer's Line PRC except for washing and applying UFF at intervals.

Here's what she looks like now.

Paul A.
09-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Unbelievable! Beautiful shine.

fightnews
09-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Very nice, that uff is good stuff

Dmb5450
09-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Nice work Don, that’s one well kept Camaro!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Don M
09-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Nice work Don, that’s one well kept Camaro!

Thanks, especially when you consider it's over 4 years old with over 61,000 miles. AND a daily driver (including NE Ohio winters.

hoyt66
09-24-2017, 06:10 PM
C'mon! I thought the unwritten rule was no winter prep post until after Halloween?????? Just playin. Nice work and nice ride

Don M
09-24-2017, 11:31 PM
C'mon! I thought the unwritten rule was no winter prep post until after Halloween?????? Just playin. Nice work and nice ride

You should know, being in the midwest yourself and all, snow can happen at any time, and I basically have a shed, not a garage, with no heat/AC or lights. :laughing:

TTQ B4U
09-24-2017, 11:48 PM
Happy Birthday my friend!

Looking good! :xyxthumbs:

minerigger
09-25-2017, 12:11 AM
What are you guys doing for under carriage areas...I think I'm ok on paint and interior but rather curious what if anything you use underneath the car. And I shall say reason I ask is it's snowing here right now, doubtful it sticks but winter is close enough I need to get the rides all buttoned up and protected

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don M
09-25-2017, 04:24 AM
What are you guys doing for under carriage areas...I think I'm ok on paint and interior but rather curious what if anything you use underneath the car. And I shall say reason I ask is it's snowing here right now, doubtful it sticks but winter is close enough I need to get the rides all buttoned up and protected

Right after I bought the car in '15, I took it to the detail shop I used to work at and had it undercoated with a slimy, THICK, greasy stuff that never dries, hardens, or comes out of your clothes. And they go all out, it took 3 days to complete my car including disassembly of splash guards, door panels. They spray (and hand - pack) EVERYWHERE. The hood, trunk, under the hood, inside the doors, door jambs, wheel wells (after removing the splash guards) etc.

I've seen his work from 20 years ago and there is still no rust, and now he uses better product and has gotten more anal about getting everything covered. It was a real bargain at $800.

In your case, I would recommend every time it gets above freezing to go to a self serve wash and rinse the heck out of the rockers and as far underneath as you can reach. For door hinge area and the lips on the bottom, keep them sprayed with WD40, it displaces (salt) water and is a rust inhibitor and worked on my Neon for years.

fightnews
09-25-2017, 05:45 AM
You should know, being in the midwest yourself and all, snow can happen at any time, and I basically have a shed, not a garage, with no heat/AC or lights. :laughing:

Do you polish it yourself? After 4 years do you have any rock chips in the hood or front bumper?

Don M
09-25-2017, 06:50 AM
Do you polish it yourself? After 4 years do you have any rock chips in the hood or front bumper?

Yes, I do all the polishing myself, I have a PC, Meguiar's thin pads and plenty of different levels of polish. My favorites though are the Meguiar's Ultimate Line and their Detailer's Paint Rejuvenation Creme (D151?). As for the front end, yes there are a few areas that look lightly sand-blasted BUT, as I keep trying to remind myself, this is a daily driver, 365 days of the year.

minerigger
09-25-2017, 08:06 AM
Right after I bought the car in '15, I took it to the detail shop I used to work at and had it undercoated with a slimy, THICK, greasy stuff that never dries, hardens, or comes out of your clothes. And they go all out, it took 3 days to complete my car including disassembly of splash guards, door panels. They spray (and hand - pack) EVERYWHERE. The hood, trunk, under the hood, inside the doors, door jambs, wheel wells (after removing the splash guards) etc.

I've seen his work from 20 years ago and there is still no rust, and now he uses better product and has gotten more anal about getting everything covered. It was a real bargain at $800.

In your case, I would recommend every time it gets above freezing to go to a self serve wash and rinse the heck out of the rockers and as far underneath as you can reach. For door hinge area and the lips on the bottom, keep them sprayed with WD40, it displaces (salt) water and is a rust inhibitor and worked on my Neon for years.Thanks for the info.