PDA

View Full Version : Tornador Black starts with low power, spins up to full than drops again

Pages : [1] 2

LSNAutoDetailing
09-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Wondering if anyone has had any issues with their Tornador Black. I have a Husky 8 Gal / 4.0 CFM / 125 PSI / 1.5 HP air-compressor running my Tornador Black.

Has been working fine for two years. Yesterday while working on a car, the Tornador would start off with low power, then ramp up to normal speed, then 30 ms later it drops down to low power.

Also, it takes a while for liquid to start moving through the tool.

I cleaned the heck out of the Tornador and blew some soapy water through it. I'm wondering if there is an issue with my compressor or my Tornador.

Mantilgh
09-23-2017, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was the compressor side of it.

I'm not sure how often you use it, but that has to be a lot of work for that little compressor.

But then again the spinner tube doohickey could be clogged causing the week flow.

Take the air blow out nozzle and blow back through the tip in the opposite direction of the normal flow.

I'm not sure if it safe to do with it fully assembled but I had a similar flow issue and that corrected it.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Thanks Mantilgh, you may be right. The pressure gauges drops like crazy when I squeeze the trigger. I also noticed I didn't have the valves closed all the way for max PSI (which is about 100 on this compressor). Also, the oil in it is about two years old.... yikes! I will change that tomorrow. I'll keep running some distilled water through the Tornador and give it a good cleaning.
You are right, I haven't used either in a long time. Our last detail job in NH was last November, so when we got to AZ last April the spinny thingy was locked up tight.

KirkH
09-23-2017, 11:50 PM
Partially clogged or leaking hose was the probalem when mine did this. I bought a new hose and it was back to full blast.

ducksfan
09-24-2017, 12:22 AM
You should be able to tell fairly easily if it's the tool or the compressor. Just put a pressure gauge (If you don't have one, they're available at automotive paint stores for not too much $) between the air hose and the tool.

If it's the tool, don't you think you're going to need something stronger than soapy or distilled water to 'ungum" it? I'm sure there are cleaners that will breakdown whatever solution you're using in the tool better.

KirkH
09-24-2017, 12:29 AM
You should be able to tell fairly easily if it's the tool or the compressor. Just put a pressure gauge (If you don't have one, they're available at automotive paint stores for not too much $) between the air hose and the tool.

If it's the tool, don't you think you're going to need something stronger than soapy or distilled water to 'ungum" it? I'm sure there are cleaners that will breakdown whatever solution you're using in the tool better.

I would've thought so too. But , in my case, it was just 1 specific hose. That hose worked fine for other tools but the Tornador sputtered. A different hose has solved it, for me.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-24-2017, 10:05 AM

The only difference is that I used 4 to 1 APC vs 10:1. So the ph bal may have been off. The Pinnacle APC has a citrus smell, so perhaps it got a bit sticky.

I will also replace the hose as Kirk suggests. The hose I have is a PIA, and tangles a lot.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

LSNAutoDetailing
10-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Update: did an oil change and got a new hose. What I’m seeing is the PSI on the output is at about 100... the tool runs great for a few seconds but then spins down in power. The output gauge drops to 60 PSI.

I noticed an oily buildup on the cooling fins of the compressor. My suspicion is while the compressor works, it’s not working efficiently.

I’m going to try the tool on another compressor to rule it out. If it’s not the tool, I may buy for a HF 21 gal with 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI unless someone has a better suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

KirkH
10-09-2017, 01:15 AM
Update: did an oil change and got a new hose. What I’m seeing is the PSI on the output is at about 100... the tool runs great for a few seconds but then spins down in power. The output gauge drops to 60 PSI.

I noticed an oily buildup on the cooling fins of the compressor. My suspicion is while the compressor works, it’s not working efficiently.

I’m going to try the tool on another compressor to rule it out. If it’s not the tool, I may buy for a HF 21 gal with 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI unless someone has a better suggestion.

The HF compressor will last about a year. You can spend a little more and get a Kobalt. My Kobalt has lasted a year and a half so far. Be sure to get a water and oil filter to put on it. The tanks rust from atmospheric moisture in the air and then will sand blast your paint with rust.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-09-2017, 02:06 PM
The HF compressor will last about a year. You can spend a little more and get a Kobalt. My Kobalt has lasted a year and a half so far. Be sure to get a water and oil filter to put on it. The tanks rust from atmospheric moisture in the air and then will sand blast your paint with rust.

Which Kobalt did you get? I see the 20 Gal only does 3CFM, Tornador needs 4.5 CFM. So the only one is a jump from $179 to $499 for the 30 Gal:
Air Delivery SCFM @ 90PSI (CFM) 5.5

KirkH
10-09-2017, 10:30 PM
I have the 30 gallon portable. I caught it on sale.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Thanks... tested Tornador on a good compressor today, worked like a champ... so it's definitely the compressor.
I'll have to keep an eye out for the 30 Gal on sale. Most reviews were good except oil changes appear to be a PIA. Thanks!

Duy
10-10-2017, 12:20 PM
How do you like your Tornador? I've been on the fence with that and an extractor. Trying to keep business expenses down til next year if I decide to pull the trigger on an extractor of some sort. I'm not a fan of doing interiors but I hear the Tornador can make interior details a breeze.

PaulMys
10-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Hey, Paul.

I didn't see anyone mention this, so I'll just ask: Did you make sure the air tank was drained off all the condensation?

Kind of a dumb question, but I worked on a buddies A/C once that was low on power (psi), and the tank was almost half full of condensation water. He had no idea there was a petcock under it.

Just a thought.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Hey Paul, yes... tank was drained. I store it with valve drain open