PDA

View Full Version : The best drying method/tools?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Scalla1384
09-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Hey guys, so I have a real basic question. I’ve done so many searches, and I really can’t find a definitive (or close to) way to dry a car.

I bought a 1993 Toyota Supra TT in Red back in April. The paint was already in really good condition. Minus the rock chips on the front bumper, but that’s to be expected.

So in May, I decided to do some swirl removing, polish and use Collinite on it. And it came out really good. I got most of the swirls out of the paint. From then until now, I notice more swirls then there was. I usually use one of those hand held squeegees, and then wipe the car down with a waffle weave. I love using that method since it seems to dry the car the fastest, and most effortless. Drying the car is my least favorite part lol

im starting to think that the waffle weave may be a bit too abrasive drying the car. And from what I’ve seen, most people use the “dabbing” method with them. ive tried microfiber towels, the “super plush” ones as well, and to me it seems like they leave a ton of streaks, and I need to use about 8 of them to dry the car completely. And I’m not a fan of the absorbers.

Unless there is some magic towel im missing, would the McKees 37 turbo car dryer be the best? And then just going over it with a real soft microfiber?

TTQ B4U
09-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Blow dry followed by a wipe down where needed. If you've not coated your car, do it. Today's coatings are super slick and hydrophobic making drying a snap.

Key to the wipe down is to NEVER use a fully dry towel. I use 16x16 towels soaked in Wolfgang Uber Rinseless mixed up at 1/2 oz to a gallon of distilled water. Wring out the rag completly to it's just damp. Spritz with your favorite detail spray and wipe. I use my "blue juice" which is CarPro ECH20 at 1:20 ratio using distilled water. Get a 32oz bottle, fill to 27oz with ECH20 Mix, Add in 2-3oz of CarPro Reload and shake before each use. Just a couple sprays on the rag. Re-soak and ring and spritz as you go when needed.

Zero marring, lots of gloss, super slick, no lint. You'll thank me later.

Bruno Soares
09-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Don’t use a squeegee, that’s a guarantee you’ll get scratching and marring. Use air, if possible, or a Griots PFM. That towel is amazing.

VISITOR
09-23-2017, 07:06 PM
mckee's 37 turbo car dryer (or if funds are an issue a leaf blower) to knock the majority of water (95%) off and then follow up with a qd/spray wax and a plush microfiber towel to get the remaining droplets...

yakky
09-23-2017, 07:07 PM
Ditch the squeegee and buy a $20 corded leaf blower. Use some QD while drying what the leaf blower missed.

fly07sti
09-23-2017, 07:46 PM
I remember when the water blade was introduced back in the 90's at car shows. If you don't toss it, only use on the windows. Everyone else here has given great advice. Use some sort of forced air followed up by an ice towel such as the PFM or whatever you like and some sort of drying aid. Also, are you doing a free flowing/pooling rinse as your final rinse? That'll leave a lot less standing water.

Nix
09-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Another vote for PFM towel..you will be amazed how good it works..

Scalla1384
09-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys. I think I’ll place an order for the PFM and McKee’s turbo car dryer. Appreciate the info!

Guyb
09-23-2017, 09:43 PM
A blow torch is fastest, rough on the paint! I started with leaf blowers and then got the turbo car dryer and finally the metro blaster sidekick pro to help. If you get a leaf blower try to keep it dedicated to detailing. The turbo dryer works good.

Nickfire20
09-23-2017, 09:54 PM
PFM for the win, and your favorite detail spray or spray wax. I have a black tahoe, and this combo works great!!

these 2 items alone, actually make drying my truck the most fun, and let me tell you, I really use to hate drying!!

PA DETAILER
09-23-2017, 09:56 PM
pfm!

ducksfan
09-24-2017, 12:38 AM
Notice how the guys who have been around for a while and tried all the suggested methods are tending to go with a blower and wipe with a drying aide. That's pretty much where I'm at too. Nothing seems to work better.

I just want to get hold of a stronger blower to pick up my speed some - especially on horizontal surfaces.

VISITOR
09-24-2017, 01:06 AM
also, if you do the sheeting/flood method before drying, it will reduce a lot of water to blow/dry off...

Route246
09-24-2017, 02:47 AM
Notice how the guys who have been around for a while and tried all the suggested methods are tending to go with a blower and wipe with a drying aide. That's pretty much where I'm at too. Nothing seems to work better.

I just want to get hold of a stronger blower to pick up my speed some - especially on horizontal surfaces.

That's exactly my approach. I can't find anything better. My drying aid now is a mix of two spray waxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scalla1384
09-24-2017, 10:41 AM
So when you guys use a detail spray while drying, what exactly does that do? And just spray the panel you’re about to dry, then wipe it with a MF?