PDA

View Full Version : Clean the Tires with Car soap?

Pages : [1] 2 3

kage65
09-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Is this necessary? Or better to just spray on the tire shining stuff? Tks

jdgamble
09-23-2017, 10:55 AM
I don't specifically wash my tires. They get plenty of runoff. I just apply tire gel. It meets my standards.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

JCDetails
09-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Just get a wheel cleaner that cleans tires also.

I always clean my tires any time I clean wheels. Helps dressings last longer.

PA DETAILER
09-23-2017, 11:45 AM
I would always clean a tire before applying any dressing. Starting with a clean tire will make that dressing bond and look better on the tire. If you just keep applying dressing without cleaning, it's going to build up and you will have a mess on your hands. Plenty of good tire cleaners out there. The only time I use soap and water is when I have Gtecniq T1-Tire or Gyeon tire on. They are long lasting and usually only require a quick soap and water with a brush to bring back the look.

http://www.autogeek.net/wheelstires.html

ski2
09-23-2017, 02:13 PM
Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew works great and is simple as can be--spay on, agitate with a brush (only needed if tire is really dirty), wipe off. No water needed so it's great when doing a rinseless ore waterless wash.

Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew, tire cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html)

Rsurfer
09-23-2017, 02:15 PM
I don't specifically wash my tires. They get plenty of runoff. I just apply tire gel. It meets my standards.

That's like taking a shower and washing your body with soap and a wash cloth, but not your feet because the run off soap will clean them..it's called toe jams.

VETLAG72
09-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Griot's rubber cleaner works great on the tires and is pretty reasonably priced considering how little you use. I spray it on all 4 tires, grab my tire scrubber and scrub each sidewall, then rinse off. Literally only adds 3 minutes max to my total wash time. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DaveT435
09-23-2017, 03:08 PM
I buy the McKee's tire cleaner by the gallon. Very reasonably price and a very effective cleaner. I recently started using McKee's tire coating so I actually only use the tire cleaner about every third wash. The rest of the time I just run my wheel brush over them real quick with my wheel wash solution.

jdgamble
09-23-2017, 10:41 PM
That's like taking a shower and washing your body with soap and a wash cloth, but not your feet because the run off soap will clean them..it's called toe jams.

Ha. That's why me feet are so dirty! :)

Seriously tho... maybe I'm just not too anal about my tires, but I have been asked by multiple non-detailing types if I got new tires? I rub the tire gel on pretty thoroughly, and I can't tell the difference between when the tires started clean or just rinsed off.

Now my paint is a totally different story...

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

mwoywod
09-23-2017, 11:08 PM
I would love to see someone actually test the tire cleaning ability of either N-914 or D114 vs a car soap that is known for it's cleaning ability. I elect Eldorado2k.

Eldorado2k
09-23-2017, 11:12 PM
I would love to see someone actually test the tire cleaning ability of either N-914 or D114 vs a car soap that is known for it's cleaning ability. I elect Eldorado2k.

[emoji15]

Rsurfer
09-23-2017, 11:21 PM
Ha. That's why me feet are so dirty! :)

Seriously tho... maybe I'm just not too anal about my tires, but I have been asked by multiple non-detailing types if I got new tires? I rub the tire gel on pretty thoroughly, and I can't tell the difference between when the tires started clean or just rinsed off.

Now my paint is a totally different story...

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

How about your feet?:props:

The Guz
09-23-2017, 11:45 PM
I've used car shampoo to clean my tires that are coated with DP Tire Coating (McKee's previous formula) and that does a good enough job. Same goes for using N914 or D114 on them when doing a rinseless wash on coated tires or a regular tire gel between reapplication.

I do the same thing with other tire products. CarPro Perl seems to hold up well to a D143 (2:1) spray and rinse between applications. Some times a light agitation. Of course a deep clean every now and then with Tuf Shine tire cleaner.

ducksfan
09-23-2017, 11:54 PM
I use either the car soap I'm using on the vehicle or if i want to go to a little more effort I'll use P21s Total Auto Wash in a foamer @30:1. I use Mothers Tire Renewal if I'm going to reapply dressing or a wheel cleaner if I'm going to reapply a Hydro2 type product to coat the wheels.

JCDetails
09-24-2017, 06:18 AM
Maybe it's different in New England, but I find that without tire coating the tires get browned over pretty quick requiring good cleaning often.