PDA

View Full Version : NorCal Winter Rainy Season Strategy

Pages : [1] 2

Route246
09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
In NorCal winters we have rain and moderate temps, mostly above freezing, no salt or snow to deal with and often periods where rain stops for a few hours and then starts up again. But we also have horrible greasy road scum from all of the vehicles on the incredibly crowded roads.

I plan to use McKee's Rinse Free Wash and Wax and ONR+W to hit the sides of my daily driver whenever the opportunity presents itself, mainly to clean the road scum off the paint between washes. The paint is already going to be topped with 476s and/or Fuzion plus spray wax.

Any suggestions what else to use that might clean the road scum off of wet paint during the rainy season?

Klasse Act
09-21-2017, 10:39 PM
I've been using RW and WW's year round for years and my cars have always looked good but an occasional power wash at the local quarter wash is important to really get down below. I would like to encourage you to try and use McKee's N914 at a little stronger than the WW ratio for the situation you mentioned. The thing is this, it's a pure cleaner and exactly what you need in the situation you mentioned, PURE CLEANER!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
09-21-2017, 10:51 PM
What he said[emoji1369]

Route246
09-22-2017, 01:13 AM
I've been using RW and WW's year round for years and my cars have always looked good but an occasional power wash at the local quarter wash is important to really get down below. I would like to encourage you to try and use McKee's N914 at a little stronger than the WW ratio for the situation you mentioned. The thing is this, it's a pure cleaner and exactly what you need in the situation you mentioned, PURE CLEANER!

I'll try that once the rains come. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducksfan
09-22-2017, 01:24 AM
P21s Total Auto Wash (TAW) @ 30:1 in a hand pump sprayer once a month will clean up what the rinseless doesn't.

I would use it as a prewash and then use a bucket of rinseless to rinse it off.

Also work s well to apply it with a foamer.

It's the best car wash I've used.

Route246
09-22-2017, 01:38 AM
P21s Total Auto Wash (TAW) @ 30:1 in a hand pump sprayer once a month will clean up what the rinseless doesn't.

I would use it as a prewash and then use a bucket of rinseless to rinse it off.

Also work s well to apply it with a foamer.

It's the best car wash I've used.

Does it strip wax?

ducksfan
09-22-2017, 12:54 PM
As a general answer, no. Just remember that all waxes and sealants are on a spectrum of resistance to being removed. Just as all cleaners are on a spectrum of removal strength.

TAW is a strong cleaner, but not a harsh one. It does an excellent job of removing general road film. I have not noticed it stripping sealants. Now, if you're using spray waxes, I would expect it to noticably shorten the life compared to what you would see from a rinseless.

It's a good product. I tend to use it more the longer I experiment with it.

fly07sti
09-22-2017, 01:00 PM
I agree on using a pressure washer on occasion to clean out all the nooks and crannies. Also agree on using 914 percent to clean with. Where in NorCal are you?

Route246
09-22-2017, 04:16 PM
I agree on using a pressure washer on occasion to clean out all the nooks and crannies. Also agree on using 914 percent to clean with. Where in NorCal are you?

Northwest peninsula, near 280 in SM county.

Klasse Act
09-22-2017, 05:10 PM
I think a routine clay mit wipe every weeks, mixed in with your car wash, doesn't hurt either if you wanna help keep the road grime to a minimum. I would go with the fine grade, many choices out there but I like my Griot's mit, fine grade is all you need here.

Eldorado2k
09-22-2017, 10:44 PM
I think you should restart your paint protection process and tape your vehicle down the middle and use your choice of straight sealant/wax/coating, and on the other side use the same base coat of protection but continue your current method of using the Wolfgang Fusion Spray Wax to top it...

I'd be interested in finding out if the spray wax might just be the culprit.. After checking the product page just now, I can't help but notice the lack of a real in depth, results driven review of this product..

Sure everyone "loves it" but some actual scientific and visual proof of its superior protection would serve it some justice instead a long list of "it works great and I love it"

Pictures & proof. 50/50 differences. Detailed review... Disregard this post if someone's actually taken the time to post something like that, but the product review page left me wanting to know a whole lot more.

Route246
09-22-2017, 10:49 PM
For me protection time is irrelevant. I am continually washing and applying spray wax as normal routine with periodic clay and AIO followed by paste wax.

Eldorado2k
09-22-2017, 10:54 PM
For me protection time is irrelevant. I am continually washing and applying spray wax as normal routine with periodic clay and AIO followed by paste wax.

So why did you care whether the P21s Total Body Wash stripped wax? In the beginning this thread seemed to be about looking for a cleaner, but then preserving wax came up, which can't help but make me wonder if the so called wax is good at doing its job... I dunno, you're the 1 who brought up wax, not me. Lol.

Eldorado2k
09-22-2017, 10:58 PM
What kind of vehicle are we talking about? Pics? There's alot of info we know nothing about... Interested to know more.

Klasse Act
09-22-2017, 10:58 PM
OP, swap out your original McKee's wash with N914...trust me[emoji118]