PDA

View Full Version : ceramic coatings vs Zaino

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

danix
09-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Not starting a religious war, but here's the story.
I've been detailing my cars for years with the firm belief that Zaino is the best stuff out there. A lot of work, but worth it.
Saw an ad recently for a used Tesla where it mentioned Opticoat, and that it had just been "refreshed". Started looking into it. Ceramic coatings, who knew. People seem happy with them.

So, I now know there is Opticoat, Cquartz in various flavors, and other similar products.
Got some estimates and doing my new Audi Q7 is quoted as $1399 to $2699 depending on the detailer and the product (100 mile radius of providers I sampled).

I'm sure a real pro will do a better job, and there will be a warranty. But here are my simple questions:

I know how to wash, clay bar, and much more. Is there any reason I shouldn't attempt this myself with one of the aftermarket products available such as on AG, for under $100?
If I do that, how often does the product need to be "refreshed"? Especially compared with a commercial application, which may or may not be the same product.

If you told me that this is difficult to apply, and a detailer needs to spend 6-8 hours and would charge $695-800, I would just have it done. But at the prices I was quoted my head is reeling...

Klasse Act
09-21-2017, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the forum first of all!

I'm just a backyard detailer and don't own a building with overhead, employee's, rent, etc but the high end of that seems pretty high IMO, LOL. I'm sure that these prices include full correction but I wonder what else because the price doubles on the high end. Maybe it would help if you stated where you live but even then, I don't get the prices. I know a place here in Chicago, can't remember the name, does PPF and does paint correction before the install and then ceramic coating after the install and the price was like $4000 on a Corvette but I believe that also included doing the interior and applying coating there as well, also wheels off and coating of the wheels, barrels and all.

Klasse Act
09-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing, since your Q7 is brand new have you considered doing this yourself, its actually pretty straight forward and would save you quite a bit of money. I mean you'd have to buy some products up front like iron remover, paint prep, polish and ofcoarse the coating itself. Do you have a random orbital machine?

danix
09-21-2017, 05:41 PM
I live in the SF Bay Area where the prices are probably the highest in the US besides Manhattan. Yes, I've definitely considered doing it myself, that's why I'm here :)

Klasse Act
09-21-2017, 05:53 PM
I live in the SF Bay Area where the prices are probably the highest in the US besides Manhattan. Yes, I've definitely considered doing it myself, that's why I'm here :)Well that explains that[emoji12]

I would go for it yourself and there's enough people online and certainly in your backyard that I'm willing to bet who would come over and help you, this is a great community here[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

custmsprty
09-21-2017, 06:30 PM
I'd go with Polish Angel, easy to use and exceptional shine and excellent durability, super easy to maintain.

You can get them at AG's sister sight autopia:

Polish Angel Car Care Products (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polish-angel-car-care-products.html)

My Nissan Rogue, prepped with PA Esclate Lotion, finished with Viking Coat

Polish Angel Viking Coat 50 ml. (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polish-angel-viking-coat.html#.WcRLdbKGM1J)

cyclops
09-21-2017, 06:39 PM
As a former Zaino head will say yes make the jump to coatings, I did and will never look back.

Really is not that difficult to do yourself, prep is the key. Do plenty research, checkout some YouTube videos, read some reviews and you should be good to go. I used Optimum for the first go round, very easy to apply. Most will give the nod to McKee's when it comes to ease of use but everyone is different. One thing I would encourage is plenty of light to catch all the high spots.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Klasse Act
09-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Temp is VERY IMPORTANT when applying and curing of the coating. It needs to be at least 70 degrees and kept out of the environment for 24 hrs (in most cases) after install.

custmsprty
09-21-2017, 07:09 PM
And temp, high spots etc are all a non factor when using Polish Angels products. I machine apply Viking Coat

My Rupes Mini with a 4" LC Blue pad, I used less than 1/4 of the bottle of VC to do my entire Rogue.

Klasse Act
09-21-2017, 07:29 PM
I will be doing an entirely different coating next year, mainly because of how these "spots" reappeared when it got cool right after Labor Day and then went away when it warmed up. I can only imagine what's going to happen when fall gets here and we creep closer to the sh!ty season between fall and spring.

MikeC78
09-21-2017, 07:58 PM
Zaino? They still make that stuff or people actually still use that? I fell in the trap over a decade aga as well, until competitors came out with much better products. I would believe any coating today would blow away Zaino. I do like their tire shine and leather products. They also have yet to come up with anything innovative in the past decade. RIP Zaino.

Route246
09-21-2017, 08:21 PM
I live in the SF Bay Area where the prices are probably the highest in the US besides Manhattan. Yes, I've definitely considered doing it myself, that's why I'm here :)

I'm in San Mateo County where there are more multi-billionaires (VCs, dot-com entrepeneurs, real estate developers, et. al.) per square inch than anywhere else in the world. I don't think labor costs and overhead can get anymore expensive than it is here. You probably would be better off trying to learn exactly how to do it and then do it yourself.

TTQ B4U
09-21-2017, 08:31 PM
Zaino? They still make that stuff or people actually still use that? I fell in the trap over a decade aga as well, until competitors came out with much better products. I would believe any coating today would blow away Zaino. I do like their tire shine and leather products. They also have yet to come up with anything innovative in the past decade. RIP Zaino.

^^ this. talk about bringing back memories from the 90's.

FUNX650
09-22-2017, 12:42 AM
I'm sure a real pro will do a better
job, and there will be a warranty.

So many of these Coating warranties
require jumping through a lot hoops:
Ask some of those guys that gave you
estimates just exactly what they entail.
{Expect to be jolted again!}

But here are my simple questions:

I know how to wash, clay bar, and
much more. Is there any reason I
shouldn't attempt this myself with one
of the aftermarket products available
such as on AG, for under $100?
If I do that, how often does the
product need to be "refreshed"?
Especially compared with a commercial
application, which may or may not be
the same product.

I say: Do it yourself.

I'll suggest that you start off with:
Paint Coating, nano paint sealant, ceramic paint coating, nano paint coating (http://www.autogeek.net/nano-paint-sealant.html)
one of the most user friendly Coatings
currently on the market.

Note:
For expert advice on "all-things-McKee 37"...
contact Nick (McKee's 37 Product Support):

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=31637

Bob

BudgetPlan1
09-22-2017, 01:58 AM
I will be doing an entirely different coating next year, mainly because of how these "spots" reappeared when it got cool right after Labor Day and then went away when it warmed up. I can only imagine what's going to happen when fall gets here and we creep closer to the sh!ty season between fall and spring.

Sent from my LGLS990 using TapatalkWhich product did that? Wolfgang?