PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn mineral deposit on new Tundra?

ffroadnurse
09-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Hey guys, so I bought a new magnetic gray Tundra this weekend. I washed and inflected it last night at work. It's pretty flawless besides a mineral deposit/etch in the hood. I tried to clay it and polish it out today with minimal results. Any suggestions.
Also, the vehicle has Toyoguard "sealant" --
what's the best way to remove it so I can move forward with the prep and coat?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/bb7b6401adbc05a6b8de6d4a2e61914c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fly07sti
09-21-2017, 01:08 PM
What polish,pad, machine did you use? May need to be a lil more aggressive. Could also try something like CarPro spotless or even some white vinegar.

Rsurfer
09-21-2017, 01:45 PM
What is Toyoguard?:iagree:with fly07sti.

ffroadnurse
09-21-2017, 01:45 PM
What polish,pad, machine did you use? May need to be a lil more aggressive. Could also try something like CarPro spotless or even some white vinegar.

4" LC white with megs 205, then again with a 4" LC white and 105. I was going to post here before I hit it with vinegar, spotless, or a more aggressive pad.

LEDetailing
09-21-2017, 01:52 PM
I'd try a heavier cutting pad and 105. That should remove the deposits.

fly07sti
09-21-2017, 02:06 PM
4" LC white with megs 205, then again with a 4" LC white and 105. I was going to post here before I hit it with vinegar, spotless, or a more aggressive pad.

Ok. If it were me on my Tundra (I have a 2010) I'd hit it with Spotless or vinegar and if that didn't make me happy, I'd hit it with a compound for a couple of passes then check to see if it was gone.

ffroadnurse
09-21-2017, 02:44 PM
What is Toyoguard?:iagree:with fly07sti.

A money maker. Pure profit. I didn't pay for it. I just would really like to know what it is. Toyota is claiming 3 years protection.

ffroadnurse
09-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Ok. If it were me on my Tundra (I have a 2010) I'd hit it with Spotless or vinegar and if that didn't make me happy, I'd hit it with a compound for a couple of passes then check to see if it was gone.

I hit it with vinegar with no results. The finish is smooth like it is below the surface.

Rsurfer
09-21-2017, 03:17 PM
I hit it with vinegar with no results. The finish is smooth like it is below the surface.

If you hit it with a 4" pad with 105 and didn't clear up the problem and it feels like it's below the cc..I would take it back to the dealer and complain. You already compromised that spot with an aggressive compound, don't keep fooling with it until you strike through.

ffroadnurse
09-21-2017, 04:03 PM
It cleared up a little bit, maybe 50%~. That is why I asked about the Toyoguard paint protection-Is it a coating, and maybe the water spot isbetween the cc and coating

fly07sti
09-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Ya man if you hit it with 105 and it didn't remove it, then maybe a lil wet sanding if you're comfy with that, but it is possible that it's under the clear. Or you can do like I did and lift your truck. Nobody will ever see it!

ffroadnurse
09-21-2017, 04:14 PM
Ya man if you hit it with 105 and it didn't remove it, then maybe a lil wet sanding if you're comfy with that, but it is possible that it's under the clear. Or you can do like I did and lift your truck. Nobody will ever see it!

Ha! Awesome! Lifting the truck has to be the best response ever!
I'm not going to wet sand a new vehicle. It isn't noticeable until I am in the absolute perfect light, and I can definitely live with as long as it doesn't lead to issues down the road with the paint.

ffroadnurse
09-21-2017, 06:03 PM
If you hit it with a 4" pad with 105 and didn't clear up the problem and it feels like it's below the cc..I would take it back to the dealer and complain. You already compromised that spot with an aggressive compound, don't keep fooling with it until you strike through.

I left it alone after this. I also sent an email to the dealer.

fly07sti
09-21-2017, 06:09 PM

ffroadnurse
09-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Dealer just called and recommended that I take it to a local body shop and let them look at it, or wet sand it myself. Wth