PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating

hvac77
09-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Is the car still washed and waxed normally after a ceramic coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruzscarwash
09-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Still washed, waxed shouldn't be needed but every company makes "spray boosters" for thier in-house coatings

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Desertnate
09-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Still washed, waxed shouldn't be needed but every company makes "spray boosters" for thier in-house coatings

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Agree. From my experience, you actually need to wash the vehicle a little more often in order for the coating to still display it's beading/sheeting characteristics.

DaveT435
09-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Washing with CarPro Reset every 4-6 weeks, or 3rd or 4th wash, can help minimize bonded contaminates as well.

BudgetPlan1
09-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Agree. From my experience, you actually need to wash the vehicle a little more often in order for the coating to still display it's beading/sheeting characteristics.

Really? Since coating our cars I wash them much, much less than before and the washes are far quicker with less cleanup afterwards. Coating the rims and tires was by far the biggest time saver...spray with hose, quick wipe with wash mitt and leftover suds after washing car, good to go.

At end of wash I generally just have wash mitt and 2 or 3 drying towels to clean...no chems needed unless unless using SiO2 topper as drying aid. No wheel cleaners, brushes or nasty rags.

Desertnate
09-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Really? Since coating our cars I wash them much, much less than before and the washes are far quicker with less cleanup afterwards. Coating the rims and tires was by far the biggest time saver...spray with hose, quick wipe with wash mitt and leftover suds after washing car, good to go.

I probably could have worded my response better. Maybe, saying they need to keep up with the washing/cleaning, would have been a better way to go.

I'll agree with you that washing is FAR easier with the coating, and I might be able to wash less often if the weather is nice or it rains more often because the rain washed off the dust. However, I have also noticed that if you let grime sit on a coated car for too long, the beading/sheeting properties everyone loves is much harder to restore than a simple sealant.

Two examples from my experience.

1. Car driven by my full-time college student daughter. Car gets washed once a month if lucky, but is never horribly dirty. When it is washed, there is no beading/sheeting at all on the horizontal surfaces. Only after a few washes in close succession does the water behavior start to improve.

2. During the winter both my car and my wife's get covered in salt/road grime from snowy, slushy, rainy roads. Cold weather means they go weeks, possibly a month or more between touchless washes. In this scenario I again found it took consistent hand washing over time to slowly restore the water behavior.

Overall, if I wash the vehicle once every 2~3 weeks the coatings seem to behave as expected with no issues. If they sit grimy for longer periods of time, it takes some TLC to bring them back.

TTQ B4U
09-20-2017, 02:32 PM

I would say the reason behind washing them helping is that it helps reduce road film/grime build up and thus ensures the hydrophobic properties stay strong.

Ronin47
09-20-2017, 03:21 PM

You need a better coating.

BudgetPlan1
09-20-2017, 03:28 PM
You need a better coating.Not necessarily...climate, vehicle usage and a variety of other factors come into play regarding product performance.

Hence the occasional need for a decon wash on rare occasions. You show me a coating that'll keep the back end of a C5 Corvette forever clean, I'm all ears.

Klasse Act
09-20-2017, 06:15 PM
For those trying to restore the beading of a coated car that's gone a very, very long time since a wash, a) are you using N914? and b) if you are, have you ever made the ratio a little stronger so the cleaning action is a tad better since its got embedded dirt and road grime ( to quote Scott from Dallas Paint Correction and Auto Detailing ) It may also be a good idea to take it to the quarter wash and use the high pressure soap/rinse to get a more complete cleaning.

MattPersman
09-21-2017, 05:53 AM
Just washed like any other LSP. But would use carpro reset or Gyeon bathe for traditional washes yes even every week if that's how often you wash. And if you are into rinseless or waterless would use mckees n914 or carpro echo2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk