PDA

View Full Version : Had an car accident today.

Bernard
01-15-2008, 09:05 AM
:( My own human error. I didn't brake in time to stop the car.

It all happen so fast. The only think I remember was after the accident when I saw the hood crumble up. And I didn't even heard any 'bang' sound?

Taking the car to the workshop tommorow. I just got back from the police station after making a report. :(

So I can't wax the car for 90 days after repainted rite....?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2382/2194468503_bd59d60408_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2374/2194468641_88eb0a710b_m.jpg

trhland
01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
sorry to hear about that. after a repaint you can wax its fine . just dont polish for 90 days. i would use a nice carnuba wax. you should be fine thats what i did after a tree fell on my truck

TOGWT
01-15-2008, 10:23 AM
sorry to hear about that. after a repaint you can wax its fine . just dont polish for 90 days. i would use a nice carnuba wax. you should be fine thats what i did after a tree fell on my truck

A paint needs to outgas (evapourate) and a wax will not allow this, use a 'paint safe glaze' and only polish the re-painted surface if you must

The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe’ glaze or polymer type product, Zanio Z Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) allow an ‘initial ot gas’ (evaporate) /cure aerobic processof 7 days before application. These products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in an oil-based paint outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface. After thirty days (30) the paint surface can be protected with a regular polymer sealant and/or Carnauba wax.

Notes:

Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured (an abrasive polish will not necessarily harm the soft new paint but unless it’s absolutely necessary I would avoid it)
Vehicle washing is encouraged but avoid car wash concentrates that contain any harsh detergents, alkali, acids or wax (recommended products- Zaino Z-7™ Show Car Wash, Groit’s Car Wash) also avoid car washes that uses a high-pressure spray or wax or harsh detergents.

Bernard
01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
trhland and TOGWT, Thank u for the advise. I think I'll just wash the car. I can still wax the car but just not the repainted hood and front bumper.

TOGWT, thanks for reminding me on the use of abrasive polishes. Becoz over here in M'sia, they like to use Rubbing Compound to polish the car. They doesn't care and they usually instill terrible buffer swirls and holograms. It's better for them not to polish at all. :(

I'll remind them not to polish the car. Thanks :)

trhland
01-15-2008, 01:07 PM
[quote=TOGWT;163443]A paint needs to outgas (evapourate) and a wax will not allow this, use a 'paint safe glaze' and only polish the re-painted surface if you must

The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe’ glaze or polymer type product, Zanio Z Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) allow an ‘initial ot gas’ (evaporate) /cure aerobic processof 7 days before application. These products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in an oil-based paint outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface. After thirty days (30) the paint surface can be protected with a regular polymer sealant and/or Carnauba wax.

Notes:

Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured (an abrasive polish will not necessarily harm the soft new paint but unless it’s absolutely necessary I would avoid it)
Vehicle washing is encouraged but avoid car wash concentrates that contain any harsh detergents, alkali, acids or wax (recommended products- Zaino Z-7™ Show Car Wash, Groit’s Car Wash) also avoid car washes that uses a high-pressure spray or wax or harsh detergents. [/quote this is the advise scott from the forum gave me . he had said after my truck was worked on that its fine to use a carnuba wax.

Jimmie
01-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Here is one that I keep showing guys with new paint and I don't know why. It's very difficult to wipe-off. Anyway, here you go 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a gentle moisturizer, especially for beautifying freshly painted surfaces! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mimhanglaz.html) .

Gary Sword
01-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope your ok.

ScottB
01-15-2008, 05:40 PM
a pure carnuaba wax is also acceptible ... its the cleaners and harsh solvents that are a no-no.

The Skillmaster
01-15-2008, 08:14 PM
If the paint gets blended into the fenders, then you might have to treat those the same way as well.

Bernard
01-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope your ok.

Thanks Gary Sword. I'm fine but feeling sad coz took care of the original paint so well.... :(

a pure carnuaba wax is also acceptible ... its the cleaners and harsh solvents that are a no-no.

I only have M16, Collinite 476S & Nattys Blue.

Here is one that I keep showing guys with new paint and I don't know why. It's very difficult to wipe-off. Anyway, here you go 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a gentle moisturizer, especially for beautifying freshly painted surfaces! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mimhanglaz.html) .

Thanks for the link Jimmie. :)

If the paint gets blended into the fenders, then you might have to treat those the same way as well.

I have a feeling that the repainted area won't blend too well with original OEM paint already. But hopefully it won't be too much different.

I guess 90 days is not that long. I feel it would be alright. I'm not too particular coz it's a 2nd hand car. Sorry to hear bout the tree on ur car. :(