PDA

View Full Version : Bought wifey a new car but it was on the lot for over a year. Help me get it straightened out.

jmeyers278
09-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Okay guys, I bought a brand new 2016 black Navigator. That's right, it was a left over 16 and I picked it up 4 days ago. It is a mess. It was also stickered at 71k and we paid 52k for it so the dealer installed swirls were part of the deals. There are a lot of swirls, acid rain marks, etc. It looks almost grey in spots. I washed it and hit it with some cleaner wax and a buffer just to see what would happen. Barely touched it. I need to buff it but I really hate the griots 1,2,3 compound I have. I 2 staged the hood and it looks pretty good but still has some acid rain and a few swirls. Problem is, the dust that stuff puts off. I spent an hour wiping the truck down after just doing the hood. Is there anything that will do a better job and not be so dusty?
Thanks in advance

Bill1234
09-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Cleaner wax and I dont know what machine you used are not going to take out swirls really that are heavy. I would start with a correct wash, decontamination and then clay and then polish. Menzerna is a popular brand and you might be able to get away with meguiars m205 for polishing.

VISITOR
09-18-2017, 08:58 PM
what polisher and pads do you currently have?

Bruno Soares
09-18-2017, 08:58 PM
How about some Menzerna FG400 followed by SF3800? Then your preferred LSP. What DA are you using? What pads?

vobro
09-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Any product will dust if overworked,pads not kept clean or by too much heat. From working on Tuxedo Black before and by going by how you describe the vehicle you'll need to start with a compound and then to a polish. Menzerna,Optimum,Meguiars and yes the new line of Griot Garage cremes are all good stuff, keep in mind that your color is usually a hard clear so don't get disappointed if you start on the light side and don't see results just move up in aggressiveness until you get the desired results. Congrats on new vehicle

jmeyers278
09-18-2017, 09:31 PM
I have the older griots with the griots polishing pads. I am using the older griots polishes also and they seem crazy dusty but that may just be me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmeyers278
09-18-2017, 09:33 PM
I did clay the hood before I 2 stepped it. It still has some swirls and acid rain stains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01GreyStangGT
09-18-2017, 09:39 PM
i bought a new 2015 Chevrolet truck in 2016. Sat on the lot almost a year. It is white so i used FerreX and it was amazing to see how much purple there was on the paint from contamination. Mine had little DISO but had bird dropping marks on the hood that i buffed off with Wolfgang Swirl Remover 3.0 with a Meguiar's MT300. I know how the OP feels. Got an awesome deal on the truck though.

yakky
09-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Congrats on the steal of a deal. I usually wash again after a serious correction job so dust isn't too big of a concern.