PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious swirls?

Pages : [1] 2

Thejoyofdriving
01-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I have always noticed that sometimes, a untouched surface with magically develop swirls, i really noticed this when my friend bought a brand new carbon fiber hood, out of the box it was perfect, even in the sun, a few weeks later, i saw light swirls, he said he never touch the hood since he put it on, no wiping, no washing no nothing. How the hell do swirls just pop up like this? I mean how does the paint get scratched magically over such a large surface?

supercharged
01-15-2008, 01:36 AM
:Picture:

lethalxls1
01-15-2008, 01:38 AM
The company who made the hood may have waxed or polished the hood which covered or hide the swirls until the sun beat on it a bit.

lethalxls1
01-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Also-seems a little odd for someone not to at least wipe the fingerprints etc. off a new hood after its been installed-especially someone who buys a carbon fiber hood because 80% of the people who buy them buy them for the look rather than weight reduction.- maybe he didnt want to admit he swirled it?

Thejoyofdriving
01-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Also-seems a little odd for someone not to at least wipe the fingerprints etc. off a new hood after its been installed-especially someone who buys a carbon fiber hood because 80% of the people who buy them buy them for the look rather than weight reduction.- maybe he didnt want to admit he swirled it?

Umm, he takes the wash mitt, puts it on the ground on prupose then grinds it into the paint, so hes is not one to be afriad of admitting that he swirled up his car. He insists it is a subaru and a rally car, and it is there by nature suppose to be dirtly, ect. So im 99% sure he didnt even touch it at all. I doubt it would come with any protection, it might, but doubt it would hide anything. Besides, its a brand new epoxied finish, it wont have swirls. I have seen it on other cars before two. ill talk to him again today to make absolutely sure he didnt lay a finger, or rag on it. Pics? dont you know what swirls looks like? :p Jk dont think pics would help, they are you average run of the mill light swirls, you can def see them even under a good layer of dirt, so they are there for sure. whole thing has me puzzled :confused:

TOGWT
01-15-2008, 04:24 AM
Airborne road grit / debris will impart surface marring to a paint surface and become more visable when filled with raod dust (although never considered as a cause of swirls (properly due to its small size (i.e micro marring)

Thejoyofdriving
01-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Airborne road grit / debris will impart surface marring to a paint surface and become more visable when filled with raod dust (although never considered as a cause of swirls (properly due to its small size (i.e micro marring)

I was starting to think that, but it seemed kinda weird that particals impacting the surface would cause swirls, you would thing it would be more like very very small craters?:confused:

lethalxls1
01-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Umm, he takes the wash mitt, puts it on the ground on prupose then grinds it into the paint, so hes is not one to be afriad of admitting that he swirled up his car. He insists it is a subaru and a rally car, and it is there by nature suppose to be dirtly, ect. So im 99% sure he didnt even touch it at all. I doubt it would come with any protection, it might, but doubt it would hide anything. Besides, its a brand new epoxied finish, it wont have swirls. I have seen it on other cars before two. ill talk to him again today to make absolutely sure he didnt lay a finger, or rag on it. Pics? dont you know what swirls looks like? :p Jk dont think pics would help, they are you average run of the mill light swirls, you can def see them even under a good layer of dirt, so they are there for sure. whole thing has me puzzled :confused:

I didnt ask for pics

scottgt
01-15-2008, 06:41 PM
do you beleive in ghost?

sparkie
01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
do you beleive in ghost?
Yep!:D

Surfer
01-15-2008, 07:26 PM
He insists it is a subaru and a rally car, and it is there by nature suppose to be dirtly, ect.I'm sorry but thought this was funny as hell, please don't tell me he's one of those Subie/Mitsu owners running around thinking he drives a Rally car LOL

gary26
01-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Recently had someone bring there car to me because of swirl type of light scuff marks, car was brand new only days old. Turns out next store neighbors kids were playing with a nerf football and kept bouncing it off his car while playing catch. Car was slighly dirty so I guess the ball hitting the surface made the marks. Not so mysterious but he swore he never touched his car either.

dengood1
01-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Umm, he takes the wash mitt, puts it on the ground on prupose then grinds it into the paint, so hes is not one to be afriad of admitting that he swirled up his car.

<saying slowly with a puzzled look> Why.....would.....he......do.....that?

Surfer
01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
<saying slowly with a puzzled look> Why.....would.....he......do.....that?b/c.........he.............drives...........a....... ...rally..........car........and.........meant.... .....to........be..........dirty

:D

scottgt
01-15-2008, 09:36 PM
hahahahahha...how much air does he get on the jumps?