PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Coating For 1st Time User

Pages : [1] 2

uhohitsstevo
09-17-2017, 04:27 PM
So, I bough a Black Sapphire Metallic BMW and went home and did the normal prep. Clay, polish, sealant. When I washed the car the second time I noticed light marring. I am looking to now polish the car a second time this time with a more aggressive polish - M205 on Orange or White Lake Country flat pad. I want to add a ceramic coating so I do not need to worry about marring the paint as it seems extremely soft. I wanted to know what the best ceramic coating for a beginner would be. I want something that is slightly forgiving but something that will last a few years. I am willing to spend a good chunk of money on something if it is worth it! Let me know what you guys think and recommend.

Rsurfer
09-17-2017, 05:01 PM
I would think McKee's 37 Paint Coating would be your best bet for ease of application. Don't know if it will give you several years.

DaveT435
09-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Polish Angel Cosmic. Durability is 18-24 months. Application is similar to a wax, no worry about high spots, etc. It has a beautiful appearance. Polish Angel Viking coat is another good option. I would also recommend getting the Cosmic Spritz. It will help it cure faster and increases the appearance.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polish-angel-glasscoat-cosmic-v2.html#.Wb7xIus8KK0

atgonzales
09-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Dave...angels always make things easy...

DaveT435
09-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Dave...angels always make things easy...

Polish Angel products impress me more all the time. I love the Cosmic on my car which is the first version. I put Viking Coat on a black Q50 last week, another incredible coating. I've got color coded Cismic I think I'm going to put on my car next. Another great thing about Polish Angel coatings is the long shelf life before and after opening.

uhohitsstevo
09-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Polish Angel Cosmic. Durability is 18-24 months. Application is similar to a wax, no worry about high spots, etc. It has a beautiful appearance. Polish Angel Viking coat is another good option. I would also recommend getting the Cosmic Spritz. It will help it cure faster and increases the appearance.

Polish Angel Glasscoat Cosmic V2 50 ml. (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polish-angel-glasscoat-cosmic-v2.html#.Wb7xIus8KK0)

So which do you recommend do they add any type of hardness that will help with the marring?

DaveT435
09-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Yes they help hardness some. I'm sure you have a good wash method so it should be plenty to stop the marring. I would go with the color coded Cosmic. I think they only do that on the first version of Cosmic. That's what I'm putting on mine next. Believe me, with a good polish job the apply the PA and it will bring the paint to a whole new level. You send your paint code and they make it and ship it DHL from Germany and you have it in about 5 days.

uhohitsstevo
09-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Yes they help hardness some. I'm sure you have a good wash method so it should be plenty to stop the marring. I would go with the color coded Cosmic. I think they only do that on the first version of Cosmic. That's what I'm putting on mine next. Believe me, with a good polish job the apply the PA and it will bring the paint to a whole new level. You send your paint code and they make it and ship it DHL from Germany and you have it in about 5 days.

I am on the website and it says single or multi? do you know the difference. Also is there a big worry about high spots with this product?

DaveT435
09-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Here is a link to the v2 kit

Polish Angel Cosmic Kit V2 (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polish-angel-cosmic-kit-v2.html#.Wb8QXus8KK0)

And the spritz

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/polish-angel-cosmic-kit-v2.html#.Wb8QXus8KK0

CarolinasFinestDetailing
09-17-2017, 08:14 PM
I`ll try not and sound biased....but CQUartz Classic. This is absolutely the best over the counter coating in my opinion. Perfect example, I have multiple panels on my Sienna that was applied over 4 years ago. The van saw 2 winters. And it has sat outside pretty much 24/7 the last few years. It still beads amazing. I wash it once a month and do a yearly decontamination wash.

CQuartz Classic is great to apply and level and looks amazing. Good luck!

uhohitsstevo
09-17-2017, 08:19 PM
I`ll try not and sound biased....but CQUartz Classic. This is absolutely the best over the counter coating in my opinion. Perfect example, I have multiple panels on my Sienna that was applied over 4 years ago. The van saw 2 winters. And it has sat outside pretty much 24/7 the last few years. It still beads amazing. I wash it once a month and do a yearly decontamination wash.

CQuartz Classic is great to apply and level and looks amazing. Good luck!

Would you recommend using something from carpro like essence to polish before hand or will m205 be fine? also how is it with high spots. I have never applied a coating to paint and do not want to mess it up lol.

RippyD
09-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Hate to be the contrarian guy, but Cosmic did not perform nearly that well for me (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/106277-3-coating-comparison.html). Go to the middle of page 9 for some pictures of how it's performing relative to the others.

FYI, I've tried other panels with it and had similar results. Beading performance fell off after ~3 months and after 4-5 it was there, but not doing much. DG Coating and Cquartz UK are dramatically outperforming Cosmic. Even the original McKee's coating outperformed it. Maybe it's not as durable in wet weather?

Not that I did not continue to use the spray - I'm comparing coating duration with no additional product after they are applied.

MattPersman
09-18-2017, 05:26 AM
Agreed with Cquartz ti02. If you have good lighting to apply it so you can see your wipe down process it's a cake walk to use IMO

Yes I would use essence before hand.

Maintain by washing with reset no need for toppers

Echo2 would be your waterless/rinseless or n914 by mckees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhohitsstevo
09-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Agreed with Cquartz ti02. If you have good lighting to apply it so you can see your wipe down process it's a cake walk to use IMO

Yes I would use essence before hand.

Maintain by washing with reset no need for toppers

Echo2 would be your waterless/rinseless or n914 by mckees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some scratches that seem to be a problem area on certain spots will essence be able to take these out? Also I heard about things where if you don't work the essence down fully it will leave behind oils that can affect proper bonding. Also if this is what I use what color pad would you recommend? I have a GG 6inch

Nix
09-18-2017, 06:48 AM
Polish angel cosmic did not last at all for me..I think their products are more suited for garage queen.. I used the older version though.price and performance not worth it for me. i feel like its paint sealant but on steroids...trying mckees 37 coating now on one of my daily driver lets see how it does in winter..